Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 11, 2014
8:39:38 AM
View profile
Configure Uverse/Motorola router as a bridge or ip pass-through?

When I was with Comcast, my cable modem worked like a bridge, providing a public ip address to my firewall/router and allowing it to be fully visible on the Internet.  But with Uverse, the Uverse/Motorola device is configured as a NAT router and my firewall/router now gets a private ip address and is not visible on the Internet.  I concur that this protected configuration is best as a default for the masses, but not for me. 

Is there a way I can configure the Uverse/Motorola router to act like a bridge, or perhaps have it pass through all ports to a dedicated ip?  I suspect I may need to find the Device Access Code and do some work in the menus. 

thanks!

When I was with Comcast, my cable modem worked like a bridge, providing a public ip address to my firewall/router and allowing it to be fully visible on the Internet.  But with Uverse, the Uverse/Motorola device is configured as a NAT router and my firewall/router now gets a private ip address and is not visible on the Internet.  I concur that this protected configuration is best as a default for the masses, but not for me. 

Is there a way I can configure the Uverse/Motorola router to act like a bridge, or perhaps have it pass through all ports to a dedicated ip?  I suspect I may need to find the Device Access Code and do some work in the menus. 

thanks!

Configure Uverse/Motorola router as a bridge or ip pass-through?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 9:57:55 AM
(0)
Expert
You didn't say whether you have the Motorola NVG510 or the NVG589, but both are quite similar.

Good instructions for putting the Motorola NVG589 in IP Passthrough mode (which will give you most of the functionality you're looking for) are here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734

You didn't say whether you have the Motorola NVG510 or the NVG589, but both are quite similar.

Good instructions for putting the Motorola NVG589 in IP Passthrough mode (which will give you most of the functionality you're looking for) are here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734

Re: Configure Uverse/Motorola router as a bridge or ip pass-through?

2 of 3 (1,930 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2014 12:29:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks, very helpful, I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks, very helpful, I'll let you know how it works.

Re: Configure Uverse/Motorola router as a bridge or ip pass-through?

3 of 3 (1,918 Views)