Ask a question

Posted Feb 13, 2014
7:44:31 AM
View profile
Comcast To Buy Time Warner Cable For $45 Billion.

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch web site, stltoday.com :

"LOS ANGELES • Comcast Corp. will buy Time Warner Cable Inc. for about $45.2 billion in a deal that combines the nation's top two cable TV companies and would create a dominant force in both creating and delivering entertainment to U.S. homes.

The all-stock deal was approved by the boards of both companies. It is expected to close by the end of the year, pending shareholder and regulatory approvals."

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/comcast-to-buy-time-warner-cable-for-b-trumping-charter/article_be47eade-d01b-5f53-a59c-0133ce6aa07c.html

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Comcast To Buy Time Warner Cable For $45 Billion.

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 7:56:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I expect that in order to get regulatory approval a large number of communities will be sold off to other MSO's.  Charter will likely still get a piece of this deal.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Comcast To Buy Time Warner Cable For $45 Billion.

2 of 20 (1,100 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 9:45:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

Those customers can expect higher cable bills with less competition good luck .

3 of 20 (1,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 10:51:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rt123 wrote:

Those customers can expect higher cable bills with less competition good luck .

Maybe, maybe not Comcast and TW only directly compete in a very small number of markets. A few years ago, in some deal,some communities became Comcast areas and others became TW areas. I think some even switched from TW to Comcast.

I'm still utterly shocked that the regulators allowed this to go through. I can see two medium-sized companies merging or even a large company buying a smaller one...but #1 buying #2 surely has my eyes open.

4 of 20 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 11:01:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

I wounder what will happen to Charter since they lost out on this deal big blow to them .

5 of 20 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 12:09:32 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by siouxmoux on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:12:01 PM

Thanks to Comcrap. Higher Prices for all TV Providers by crushing the competition

Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

[ Edited ]
6 of 20 (1,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 7:43:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

siouxmoux wrote:

Thanks to Comcrap. Higher Prices for all TV Providers by crushing the competition

I fail to understand this logic. How does Comcast compete with the other "big" cable providers like Time Warner and Cox when they only directly compete in a few markets? In my area, Time Warner competes with companies like WOW, U-Verse and the two satellite providers because I can choose from any of those. Since I can't choose between Comcast or Time Warner, it's not like they compete.

OTOH...how have we had a Comcast thread without a mention or sighting of larry/paul? I bet those people in Time Warner areas will be happy now that they can live in the primetime! Smiley Happy

7 of 20 (939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 10:03:17 AM
(0)
Expert

baseballisback wrote:

I fail to understand this logic. How does Comcast compete with the other "big" cable providers like Time Warner and Cox when they only directly compete in a few markets? In my area, Time Warner competes with companies like WOW, U-Verse and the two satellite providers because I can choose from any of those. Since I can't choose between Comcast or Time Warner, it's not like they compete.

Comcast and Time-Warner Cable don't compete directly on the consumer side, but they do compete on the content purchasing side.  If there are fewer players purchasing content, then there is less leverage on the content producers to stop them from raising prices.  Those price hikes will be passed on to the end customer.

8 of 20 (913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 10:45:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Which is why the major networks are suing Aero. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

9 of 20 (904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 8:32:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I posted this in the lounge - not sure iof its validity:

1653956_648697828500894_1893648247_n.jpg

10 of 20 (872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 9:53:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Feb 15, 2014 at 5:50:34 AM

I would like to see a pie chart like that with Direct-TV and Dish included. I wonder how much of the pie each of them would take up?

I assume the 57% share that Comcast has is a figure that includes Time Warner Cable.

[ Edited ]
11 of 20 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2014 9:08:12 PM
(0)
Explorer

Paul/Larry reading away

12 of 20 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 6:25:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

This might be a company worth switching to for a very rich TV lover like me.  They will likely be able to carry every channel out there and never lose one.  They will have the ultimate in on demand seletion to choose from as well.  It doesn't mstter how high my bill might get.  Money ain't a thang to me when it comes to my absolute favorite thing in the world.  TELEVISION!

13 of 20 (771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 10:38:47 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02:53 AM

While no fancy pie chart,

total number of video subscribers in US a little over 100 million.
So following can be viewed both as percentage and viewers in millions.
Most numbers are 3rd quarter 2013 unless could find 4th Q numbers.
Note TW has lost 1.3 million video subscribers Jan 2012 to Jan 2014. Or 10%

1. COMCAST ...........22.1%
2. DIRECT TV ..........20.1%
3. DISH.....................14.0%
4. TIME WARNER.....12.0%
5. AT&T UVERSE....... 5.6%
6. VERIZON FIOS........5.5%
7. COX.........................4.8%

8. CHARTER................4.3%.

These 8 have 88.1% of total video subscribers

TELCOS HAVE 11%, SATS 34%, CABLE 55%

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
14 of 20 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 7:10:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

my thoughts wrote:

While no fancy pie chart,

total number of video subscribers in US a little over 100 million.
So following can be viewed both as percentage and viewers in millions.
Most numbers are 3rd quarter 2013 unless could find 4th Q numbers.
Note TW has lost 1.3 million video subscribers Jan 2012 to Jan 2014. Or 10%

1. COMCAST ...........22.1%
2. DIRECT TV ..........20.1%
3. DISH.....................14.0%
4. TIME WARNER.....12.0%
5. AT&T UVERSE....... 5.6%
6. VERIZON FIOS........5.5%
7. COX.........................4.8%

8. CHARTER................4.3%.

These 8 have 88.1% of total video subscribers

TELCOS HAVE 11%, SATS 34%, CABLE 55%

If all of the Time Warner customers stay with Comcast, then Comcast will have 34.1% of the video subscribers. However, I would expect some of the Time Warner customers to switch to other providers in their area if they do not want to become Comcast subscribers.

15 of 20 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 7:45:41 AM
(0)
Employee
The US will not allow any company to have more than 30% of US total, thus Comcast will need to sell select markets to drop 4 million subscribers....so Charter will buy from Comcast rather than previous discussions of Charter buying TW selling select markets to Comcast.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-charter-comcast-deal-to-buy-time-warner-cable-20140127,0,6307092.story
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 20 (696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 8:41:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

17 of 20 (686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 9:33:16 PM
(0)
Employee
I agree as cannot be enforced, without Comcast selling NBCUniversal and no longer a content provider or substantial reduce subscriber base this will be like ATT buying TMobile, not happening.

What does happen is defuse Charter attempt to purchase TW in a non friendly manner.

18 of 20 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 6:26:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Charter is probably going to pick up the sell-offs, though.

19 of 20 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 7:14:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JefferMC wrote:

Charter is probably going to pick up the sell-offs, though.

JefferMC: Today's "Bloomberg News" agrees with you. Here is an article that states exactly what you said, and also indicates that Charter Communications may try to buy Cox Communications.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/02/19/charter-seen-eyeing-cox-after-time-warner-cable-rebuff/nhrczV03gwtuqGPlJyZhyI/story.html

20 of 20 (544 Views)