Coax to Ethernet - Now box won't work...

Scholar

Coax to Ethernet - Now box won't work...

I recently moved a receiver from room A to room B. In room A, the receiver was hooked up via coax from the wall, then HDMI to the tv. In room B, I hooked up the receiver via an ethernet from the modem, and then a different HDMI cord to the tv. 

The next day, I moved the box from room B back to room A, and hooked it up how it was previously hooked up (coax), and now the box won't work. It turns on fine, but all I see is a blue screen with white letters saying "ATT Uverse" and a spinning circle on the bottom right. I've tried resetting the modem, the main DVR receiver, and my receiver all to no avail.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 26 (1,389 Views)
Employee

Re: Coax to Ethernet - Now box won't work...

First does the receiver have a link light on, if no link light you may have coax connection on TO TV, instead of FROM WALL plug.

If link light is on, then RG has a device and how connected,generally when changing TYPES of connections, MUST factory reset RG, not just a reboot. (CAUTION THIS WILL CHANGE ANY CUSTOM SETTINGS IN RG)

After RG has been FR, plug in receiver(s) to be rediscovered. Please let us know if issued or ongoing,thanks.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 26 (1,386 Views)
Scholar

There is a solid green link light. 

How do I perform a factory reset? I unplugged the receiver for about 10 minutes, then tried again, and it still didn't work.

Message 3 of 26 (1,380 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

ugadawgs311 - Are you sure you connected to the correct COAX connector? Maybe you used the one that goes to the TV. MT suggested that, but, you did not acknowledge.

I have moved STBs without making any resets. Look for a red button on the RG to do a factory reset. Probably can do it from the GUI, but you need to enter the password.

Did you retry the cat5 connection. Maybe the center wire on the COAX is not inserting.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 26 (1,367 Views)
Scholar

The only coax cable used is one that comes from the wall; I connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

I read elswhere that I'll need to hold the power, OK, and down button to perform a factory reset. Is that correct?

Message 5 of 26 (1,366 Views)
Employee

To perform a factory reset of RG, unplug...depress button on back of RG by plug connection while restoring power (plugging in). Normally the RG will take an update, then auto reboot, so if lose connection about 10 minutes after resetting, the auto reboot is taking place. After wards recommend simple reboot of receiver, should be good.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 26 (1,355 Views)
ACE - Expert

ugadawgs311 - RE: The only coax cable used is one that comes from the wall; I connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

Yes, but, the STB has two coax connectors - the feed goes to the wall & it is possible to connect the other one to the TV. If you have reversed the two when connecting to the wall, the STB is not being fed.

I believe the reset is on the RG to tell it how to feed the STB.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 26 (1,355 Views)
Scholar

I plugged the coax into the "To Wall" connector on the back of the receiver.

I'll try a factory reset (holding the power + OK + down arrow buttons all at once) when I get home. For whatever reason, I think when I unplugged the coax, then hooked the receiver up via ethernet, something got screwed up with the box. 

Message 8 of 26 (1,353 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Factory reset didn't work (although I'm not sure I even did that right).

When I got home today, I turned on the TV and there was error message 1001... something about HDMI not being supported.

However, sometimes I see that message, sometimes I don't. Other times it will eventually just say that Uverse is unavailable at this time, and my only option is to select "Quit Client."

I tried unplugging the TV, and that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Message 9 of 26 (1,314 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Try unplugging the HDMI cable from the receiver then reset the receiver.  Wait 5 minutes and plug the HDMI cable back in and see what happens.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 10 of 26 (1,305 Views)
Scholar

I tried this and it did not work. When the power button flashes green, that means the receiver is resetting, correct? It does that for a minute or so, then turns solid. 

Message 11 of 26 (1,303 Views)
Employee

Again, the issue is a connection between the RG and receiver, not t he receiver and tv as picture displays messages.
Check coax connection RG, check coax connection receiver, factory reset the RG using button on back of RG, when broadband, service lights properly connected on RG homeHPNA light flashing, link light on receiver solid.
Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 26 (1,298 Views)
Scholar

I checked all coaxial connections, and they're all fine. I have reset the RG using the red button on the back; is that sufficient enough, or is there some way to "hard" reset it?

I read somewhere that when I coaxial cable is unplugged from the receiver, ATT automatically kills the signal going to the cable. Is that true? If so, then that may be the issue. I unplugged the coaxial from the receiver for a day or so, and not it won't work anymore.

Message 13 of 26 (1,295 Views)
ACE - Expert

" I unplugged the coaxial from the receiver for a day or so, and not it won't work anymore."

Another opportunity to not connect well when it is put back. Did you double check the connection?
Message 14 of 26 (1,290 Views)
Scholar

Yes, I unplugged and replugged the coaxial many times now. I tried a new HDMI cable, and that didn't work either. Really don't know what else it could be.

Message 15 of 26 (1,287 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.