Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 1, 2014
5:56:45 AM
View profile
Coax and the IPH8005 and NVG589

We had new Uverse service installed yesterday in our new home. We had the house prewired with coax and I had aan ethernet cable run to where my AV receiver is to do some home netwroking and better streaming. But I discovered the tech used the ethernet for the connection to the IPH8005. I spoke to him by phone and he indicated that was the proper hookup and that Uverse no longer uses coax. This creates an issue for me because the ethernet was dedicated to an alternate device.

Can coax cable be used for these Uverse devices?

We had new Uverse service installed yesterday in our new home. We had the house prewired with coax and I had aan ethernet cable run to where my AV receiver is to do some home netwroking and better streaming. But I discovered the tech used the ethernet for the connection to the IPH8005. I spoke to him by phone and he indicated that was the proper hookup and that Uverse no longer uses coax. This creates an issue for me because the ethernet was dedicated to an alternate device.

Can coax cable be used for these Uverse devices?

Coax and the IPH8005 and NVG589

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 6:08:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, coax can be used to feed TV receivers when it makes sense.  This is at the installer's discretion.

If this is the only box to be fed, you can use RG6 with compression fitted ends to connect the coax connector on the NVG589 to the IPH8005 and disconnect the Ethernet cabling.  I'd suggest rebooting both afterwards.   Do not use splitters to make this connection.  If you were to connect more than one, then you could use splitters, but use only splitters with the correct number of ports and that are certified for 1.5GHz.

Depending on what your other device is, you could place a switch at the end of the Ethernet run and feed both the IPH8005 and the other device from the switch.

Yes, coax can be used to feed TV receivers when it makes sense.  This is at the installer's discretion.

If this is the only box to be fed, you can use RG6 with compression fitted ends to connect the coax connector on the NVG589 to the IPH8005 and disconnect the Ethernet cabling.  I'd suggest rebooting both afterwards.   Do not use splitters to make this connection.  If you were to connect more than one, then you could use splitters, but use only splitters with the correct number of ports and that are certified for 1.5GHz.

Depending on what your other device is, you could place a switch at the end of the Ethernet run and feed both the IPH8005 and the other device from the switch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Coax and the IPH8005 and NVG589

2 of 4 (730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 6:43:22 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I agree about the splitters and don't want to use them. Basically, my setup is relatively straightforward, I think. i have a receiver that will be the hub of the home theater. Unfortunately, it cannot be networked wirelessly without a special adapter so I was going to have the Ethernet run to it. The Blu-Ray streams wirelessly. And then the Uverse unit. I've not used switchers as I try to keep my connections dedicated when possible and I think I can do that here. I'm happy to learn of the RG6 as that will be my preference. Not sure if it will improve picture quality or if it's a wash (I saw some artifacting last night that reminded me of resolution changes in online video streaming). 

Again, I appreciate your response and help!

Thank you for the reply. I agree about the splitters and don't want to use them. Basically, my setup is relatively straightforward, I think. i have a receiver that will be the hub of the home theater. Unfortunately, it cannot be networked wirelessly without a special adapter so I was going to have the Ethernet run to it. The Blu-Ray streams wirelessly. And then the Uverse unit. I've not used switchers as I try to keep my connections dedicated when possible and I think I can do that here. I'm happy to learn of the RG6 as that will be my preference. Not sure if it will improve picture quality or if it's a wash (I saw some artifacting last night that reminded me of resolution changes in online video streaming). 

Again, I appreciate your response and help!

3 of 4 (718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 7:39:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on May 1, 2014 at 7:39:47 AM

It should not affect picture quality one way or another.  The data is the same either way.  The RG is forwarding the IP multicast packets containing the IPTV data either using Ethernet on UTP or via HPNA on coax.  The only difference would be if one of the two media were less reliable than the other resulting in dropped/corrupted packets.

I moved my DVR from coax to Cat5e because of issues with the coax plant in my home.  I still have one receiver on coax.

It should not affect picture quality one way or another.  The data is the same either way.  The RG is forwarding the IP multicast packets containing the IPTV data either using Ethernet on UTP or via HPNA on coax.  The only difference would be if one of the two media were less reliable than the other resulting in dropped/corrupted packets.

I moved my DVR from coax to Cat5e because of issues with the coax plant in my home.  I still have one receiver on coax.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (707 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments