Helpful Links

Client initialization error when using coax not cat 5

Contributor

Client initialization error when using coax not cat 5

For a few days I've been getting the client initialization error on my DVR.  I've checked all the coax running from the box, running around the house and everything appears fine.  Everything functions normally with no errors If I bypass the coax and plug the DVR directly into the RG using cat 5.  Any ideas on the cause or a fix?  I don't really have the option of leaving it on cat 5, because I'm not wired for it and I don't want a long yellow cable running through my house.

Message 1 of 3
Expert

Re: Client initialization error when using coax not cat 5

Are the coax connections wrench tight, if not, that may be the problem.  If they are wrench tight, then may be a kink or other problem in that coax cable causing it not to connect. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Client initialization error when using coax not cat 5

dvitanza - If it works on cat5 & not the coax, the problem is the COAX. If all the end connections are tight it is somewhere in the middle. You say the COAX runs around the house. Literally, outside around the house? Or, maybe into the attic. If either is in a location to become especially hot (from the weather) and has a barrel connector or splitter, the connection can swell and loose connectivity - also happens to connections on batteries in cars, preventing starting.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support