Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 17, 2013
11:54:27 AM
Click to Call - But from my PC (soft phone)

I've got AT&T U-Verse Max Turbo internet and U-verse Voice Unlimited plan. Is there any way possible to set up my PC to be used as a soft phone for my AT&T U-verse VoIP service?  When I see "Click to Call" on any U-verse marketing material, they all state that after clicking, my physical phone will begin ringing and I'm to go grab it in order to make a call. 

Since AT&T didn't sell me the physical phone I have (which I'd love to get rid of), they wouldn't be missing out on revenue by letting us use our laptops and PCs as soft phone devices.

I've got AT&T U-Verse Max Turbo internet and U-verse Voice Unlimited plan. Is there any way possible to set up my PC to be used as a soft phone for my AT&T U-verse VoIP service?  When I see "Click to Call" on any U-verse marketing material, they all state that after clicking, my physical phone will begin ringing and I'm to go grab it in order to make a call. 

Since AT&T didn't sell me the physical phone I have (which I'd love to get rid of), they wouldn't be missing out on revenue by letting us use our laptops and PCs as soft phone devices.

Click to Call - But from my PC (soft phone)

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:40:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DJWhiteSquall - I would think you could accomplish your objective with software for your computer that tied together your audio in/out and a telephone modem with management screens, You would connect the tel modem in the computer to the tel jack in the RG. You can do this now.

It would be better if you had digital access to the VOIP, bypassing the analog connection.
You would still need the tel management software, or would you expect at&t to provide that.
DJWhiteSquall - I would think you could accomplish your objective with software for your computer that tied together your audio in/out and a telephone modem with management screens, You would connect the tel modem in the computer to the tel jack in the RG. You can do this now.

It would be better if you had digital access to the VOIP, bypassing the analog connection.
You would still need the tel management software, or would you expect at&t to provide that.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Click to Call - But from my PC (soft phone)

2 of 7 (1,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:52:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DJWhiteSquall wrote:

...  When I see "Click to Call" on any U-verse marketing material, they all state that after clicking, my physical phone will begin ringing and I'm to go grab it in order to make a call. ...

A lot of companies will call your number for you to reduce the chance that you'll misdial or get distracted on the way to the phone, or whatever.  WebEx will also do this to assist you in joining a conference call.  There's nothing magical going on here that AT&T is doing with your phone.

A soft phone for U-verse Voice sounds like an interesting idea.  Since AT&T is a for-profit company, just not costing them (because they didn't sell you your physical phone) isn't sufficient.  How would this feature increase revenue for AT&T?  Increased customer satisfaction and loyalty might be good enough, but...

DJWhiteSquall wrote:

...  When I see "Click to Call" on any U-verse marketing material, they all state that after clicking, my physical phone will begin ringing and I'm to go grab it in order to make a call. ...

A lot of companies will call your number for you to reduce the chance that you'll misdial or get distracted on the way to the phone, or whatever.  WebEx will also do this to assist you in joining a conference call.  There's nothing magical going on here that AT&T is doing with your phone.

A soft phone for U-verse Voice sounds like an interesting idea.  Since AT&T is a for-profit company, just not costing them (because they didn't sell you your physical phone) isn't sufficient.  How would this feature increase revenue for AT&T?  Increased customer satisfaction and loyalty might be good enough, but...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 6:45:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

aviewer - I wouldn't expect AT&T to provide the mgmt software, since obtaining that for my computer would be the easy part, as there are numerous solutions available at any price point imaginable. And while connecting my tel modem (geez, I had to check if I still even had one.. lol) to the RG as you suggested may be a solution, it's still a solution of the 90s that the industry is moving away from.  Digital access is quite honestly the present and the future, and I agree with you that it'd be nice if AT&T either provide or allow that access in a home environment. 

That being said, I guess I do sort of miss that lovely connection sound I used to hear when starting up my Compuserv account.  :-)

aviewer - I wouldn't expect AT&T to provide the mgmt software, since obtaining that for my computer would be the easy part, as there are numerous solutions available at any price point imaginable. And while connecting my tel modem (geez, I had to check if I still even had one.. lol) to the RG as you suggested may be a solution, it's still a solution of the 90s that the industry is moving away from.  Digital access is quite honestly the present and the future, and I agree with you that it'd be nice if AT&T either provide or allow that access in a home environment. 

That being said, I guess I do sort of miss that lovely connection sound I used to hear when starting up my Compuserv account.  :-)

4 of 7 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:04:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
JefferMC... Your first paragraph made me chuckle a bit... I understand how some would see their phone ringing after clicking a link as magical, as several members of my family still call their pc wallpaper their "screensaver". That being said, my experience in IT has unfortunately robbed me of believing in all the magic and now I just see it as what it is. As I said in my original post, when I hear CTC I'm either thinking a) I clicked it and someone is about to call me or b) I clicked it and I'm about to hear the call come thru my speakers (such as Lync, Skype, or even a properly configured Google Talk).

To answer your closing question, allowing access to VoIP via my computer (either via AT&T or third party client, or even a clientless solution) would be a great solution and asset for AT&T. However, I think your question is from the wrong angle. Instead of looking at it as "how to increase revenue", it should be looked at as "how to keep revenue", as more and more people are leaving behind the idea of having a phone in their home, especially if they are aware of options like those I mentioned above.

If I'm sitting in my snuggie on the couch with Pizza Hut's website pulled up on my laptop, and I have an issue where their ordering system is trying to double charge me for adding black olives and jalepenos to an "unlimited toppings" special, it would be so much more convenient for me to click their number and call them via my laptop than a) getting up to find my cell phone or b) getting up to find one of the 5 phone handsets we have around the house which more than likely was never put back on a charging stand so doesn't work at all.

I guess this all just boils down to the fact that I'm hungry and lazy. :-)
JefferMC... Your first paragraph made me chuckle a bit... I understand how some would see their phone ringing after clicking a link as magical, as several members of my family still call their pc wallpaper their "screensaver". That being said, my experience in IT has unfortunately robbed me of believing in all the magic and now I just see it as what it is. As I said in my original post, when I hear CTC I'm either thinking a) I clicked it and someone is about to call me or b) I clicked it and I'm about to hear the call come thru my speakers (such as Lync, Skype, or even a properly configured Google Talk).

To answer your closing question, allowing access to VoIP via my computer (either via AT&T or third party client, or even a clientless solution) would be a great solution and asset for AT&T. However, I think your question is from the wrong angle. Instead of looking at it as "how to increase revenue", it should be looked at as "how to keep revenue", as more and more people are leaving behind the idea of having a phone in their home, especially if they are aware of options like those I mentioned above.

If I'm sitting in my snuggie on the couch with Pizza Hut's website pulled up on my laptop, and I have an issue where their ordering system is trying to double charge me for adding black olives and jalepenos to an "unlimited toppings" special, it would be so much more convenient for me to click their number and call them via my laptop than a) getting up to find my cell phone or b) getting up to find one of the 5 phone handsets we have around the house which more than likely was never put back on a charging stand so doesn't work at all.

I guess this all just boils down to the fact that I'm hungry and lazy. :-)

5 of 7 (1,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:15:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
DJWhiteSquall - I appreciate your desire/request for true integration. There are a number of areas where our expectations exceed the deployment. But, I also look for niches that can be done now.

For the tel modem - think FAX modem - If you want to send a fax, you need a tel modem to send it via telephone or you need a web based service to eliminate the telephone connection. Instead of sending a FAX, just talk.

I guess the ultimate work around is to place the standard telephone next to the computer, but that does not let you eliminate it.
DJWhiteSquall - I appreciate your desire/request for true integration. There are a number of areas where our expectations exceed the deployment. But, I also look for niches that can be done now.

For the tel modem - think FAX modem - If you want to send a fax, you need a tel modem to send it via telephone or you need a web based service to eliminate the telephone connection. Instead of sending a FAX, just talk.

I guess the ultimate work around is to place the standard telephone next to the computer, but that does not let you eliminate it.

6 of 7 (1,011 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 7:50:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:53:38 AM

All AT&T needs to do is allow a SIP based client connection to the U-voice service.  At present, as we know, this is not an option.

If this was allowed it would open up a whole host of opportunites, such as being able to call from your cell using your data service just as if you were at home on your number, and as mentioned already, the ability to make and receive calls via a laptop or other device able to run the SIP client or a SIP application.

Oh, and one other thing.....The ability for a number of features would depend on whether AT&T uses the SIP open platform or a proprietary one.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

All AT&T needs to do is allow a SIP based client connection to the U-voice service.  At present, as we know, this is not an option.

If this was allowed it would open up a whole host of opportunites, such as being able to call from your cell using your data service just as if you were at home on your number, and as mentioned already, the ability to make and receive calls via a laptop or other device able to run the SIP client or a SIP application.

Oh, and one other thing.....The ability for a number of features would depend on whether AT&T uses the SIP open platform or a proprietary one.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (1,007 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments