Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 29, 2013
9:57:18 AM
Cheated by an AT&T door-to-door sale twice

I had a door to door sale about two monthes ago who sold me AT&T U-Verse TV and max plus internet. I was using charter communications. She persuaded me by explaining how AT&T U-Verse is better than charter and she offered me two reward cards: one is $100 VISA FREE, the other one is $75 VISA Installation. Actullay,  the members in our family are all busy with jobs and usually we don't have time to watch TV. So I asker her whether I would be able to cancel the TV service and only keep internet without paying early termination fee. She confirmed this. Then I decided to switch to AT&T U-Verse. 

To double confirm the information I got from her is correct, I messaged her the same questions and got the following replies:

But after two monthes, I found I was cheated twice. First, I didn't receive any email about the $75 VISA Installation and for this reason I called AT&T rewards center. They said there is no such reward. Second, I tried to cancel my AT&T U-Verse TV and only keep U-Verse Max Plus internet. The customer service told me I have to pay early terminate fee.

Right now no matter which way I contacted the sale, she never replied me. I am not sure this is the usual way that AT&T capture customs. Anyway, this experience destroy most of my satisfaction with AT&T. And hopefully this is helpful for other who are facing AT&T D2D salesman.

I had a door to door sale about two monthes ago who sold me AT&T U-Verse TV and max plus internet. I was using charter communications. She persuaded me by explaining how AT&T U-Verse is better than charter and she offered me two reward cards: one is $100 VISA FREE, the other one is $75 VISA Installation. Actullay,  the members in our family are all busy with jobs and usually we don't have time to watch TV. So I asker her whether I would be able to cancel the TV service and only keep internet without paying early termination fee. She confirmed this. Then I decided to switch to AT&T U-Verse. 

To double confirm the information I got from her is correct, I messaged her the same questions and got the following replies:

But after two monthes, I found I was cheated twice. First, I didn't receive any email about the $75 VISA Installation and for this reason I called AT&T rewards center. They said there is no such reward. Second, I tried to cancel my AT&T U-Verse TV and only keep U-Verse Max Plus internet. The customer service told me I have to pay early terminate fee.

Right now no matter which way I contacted the sale, she never replied me. I am not sure this is the usual way that AT&T capture customs. Anyway, this experience destroy most of my satisfaction with AT&T. And hopefully this is helpful for other who are facing AT&T D2D salesman.

Cheated by an AT&T door-to-door sale twice

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 10:05:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Please send a PM to AT&T Customer Care who can help get your issue resolved.  

Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

Please send a PM to AT&T Customer Care who can help get your issue resolved.  

Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cheated by an AT&T door-to-door sale twice

2 of 11 (4,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 5:50:54 PM
(0)
Employee
As I do not work in sales (promotion) or billing I cannot address your questions directly, but have some general observations.
Did you receive the $100 card, hopefully so. The second card does not sound like an ATT promotion.
as D2D sales reps are generally sub contractors and not actual ATT employees, sounds like an in house offer that her company was offering.

Second issue, a normal full tech install is $149 for internet only or internet/voip services, this install fee is normally waved when sign up for bundled package for 1 year.
As your requesting to break your bundle after receiving free install (no $149) fee, ATT is correcting for that install. Do I believe personally believe you should be charged $180 cancellation fee when your only changing your package....NO but I do believe a prorated $149 fee should be charged.
Additionally by breaking your bundle the remaining service(s) revert to standard month to month pricing not promotion pricing, so depending on internet chosen your internet will go go to the PRO $41, ELITE $46, MAX $51, MAX PLUS $56, MAX TURBO $66, plus the $6 per month HSIA lease fee for the RG.

Pricing
a. Term Plans, Bundle Discounts. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to specific price and plan, which may have included a term of one, two, or three years (“Term Plan”). Similarly, some plans may offer a discount on the Service if you sign up for other AT&T services (“Bundle Discount”). You agree to maintain your Service and the bundled services for the applicable term. If you signed up for a Term Plan or a Bundle Discount, the price available with those plans is valid until one of the following occurs, at which time your price may revert to the then-existing price for your service: (1) the term expires; (2) you move from your current service address to another service address; or (3) you drop one of the AT&T services you were required to purchase to receive the special rate.

Termination or Cancellation of Service
a. Cancellation of Service by Customer. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to a specific price and plan, which may have included a term. You agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay the early termination fee associated with that plan. At the conclusion of your term or if you did not sign up for a term plan, the term for your Service will be month-to-month. When you cancel your service, your account ID e-mail address will remain active, as will all e-mail subaccounts you have created. The e-mail accounts may be accessed from the att.net website.

These are the terms you agreed to when you signed up for service, you clicked a box that stated that you read and agreed to above terms. Any thing a sales rep says that is not written on official letterhead or in this agreement is?
As I do not work in sales (promotion) or billing I cannot address your questions directly, but have some general observations.
Did you receive the $100 card, hopefully so. The second card does not sound like an ATT promotion.
as D2D sales reps are generally sub contractors and not actual ATT employees, sounds like an in house offer that her company was offering.

Second issue, a normal full tech install is $149 for internet only or internet/voip services, this install fee is normally waved when sign up for bundled package for 1 year.
As your requesting to break your bundle after receiving free install (no $149) fee, ATT is correcting for that install. Do I believe personally believe you should be charged $180 cancellation fee when your only changing your package....NO but I do believe a prorated $149 fee should be charged.
Additionally by breaking your bundle the remaining service(s) revert to standard month to month pricing not promotion pricing, so depending on internet chosen your internet will go go to the PRO $41, ELITE $46, MAX $51, MAX PLUS $56, MAX TURBO $66, plus the $6 per month HSIA lease fee for the RG.

Pricing
a. Term Plans, Bundle Discounts. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to specific price and plan, which may have included a term of one, two, or three years (“Term Plan”). Similarly, some plans may offer a discount on the Service if you sign up for other AT&T services (“Bundle Discount”). You agree to maintain your Service and the bundled services for the applicable term. If you signed up for a Term Plan or a Bundle Discount, the price available with those plans is valid until one of the following occurs, at which time your price may revert to the then-existing price for your service: (1) the term expires; (2) you move from your current service address to another service address; or (3) you drop one of the AT&T services you were required to purchase to receive the special rate.

Termination or Cancellation of Service
a. Cancellation of Service by Customer. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to a specific price and plan, which may have included a term. You agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay the early termination fee associated with that plan. At the conclusion of your term or if you did not sign up for a term plan, the term for your Service will be month-to-month. When you cancel your service, your account ID e-mail address will remain active, as will all e-mail subaccounts you have created. The e-mail accounts may be accessed from the att.net website.

These are the terms you agreed to when you signed up for service, you clicked a box that stated that you read and agreed to above terms. Any thing a sales rep says that is not written on official letterhead or in this agreement is?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 11 (4,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 6:57:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Sep 29, 2013 at 7:02:54 PM

I believe the word "FREE" & "INSTALL" go together.  Unfortunately, the D2D salesperson did not make that clear.

I think their intention was to make note of 3 offers:

$100 VISA

$75 VISA

FREE

INSTALL

As the CSR stated, there is no "$75 Visa INSTALL" offer. 

Whether or not the offers should have been honored, I have no opinion or solution for that.

I believe the word "FREE" & "INSTALL" go together.  Unfortunately, the D2D salesperson did not make that clear.

I think their intention was to make note of 3 offers:

$100 VISA

$75 VISA

FREE

INSTALL

As the CSR stated, there is no "$75 Visa INSTALL" offer. 

Whether or not the offers should have been honored, I have no opinion or solution for that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (4,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:41:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

First issue, I am not sure whether she cheated again. She said she was from AT&T, and she would be promoted for a higher positoin with a fixed office several days later. For the $75 rewards, no matter which company she was from, the information about how to get the rewards is totally incorrect(check the message).

Second issue, I didn't say that I don't have resposibility to check those policies before signing the contract. It is not a matter of hundreds bucks loss. It is the matter of incorrect information that the sale provided and a lot of important information that the sale tried to hide before a customer signed the contract. 

As an employee of AT&T, you definitely want to show that AT&T is all correct. However, you are not standing in my point of view, i.e., a normal customer's view. So let me ask you why AT&T let other companies, which always provide wrong information to customers, sell its products. And do you mean that if sales reps from other companies sell AT&T products, they can say and promise anything they want. And those incorrect information is not AT&T's resposibility. 

Why I signed contract before checking all the policies, because I thought AT&T == Trust. Now I have to change my mind. And all I want to do is reminding other customers who may have same situation as me to be on high alert!

First issue, I am not sure whether she cheated again. She said she was from AT&T, and she would be promoted for a higher positoin with a fixed office several days later. For the $75 rewards, no matter which company she was from, the information about how to get the rewards is totally incorrect(check the message).

Second issue, I didn't say that I don't have resposibility to check those policies before signing the contract. It is not a matter of hundreds bucks loss. It is the matter of incorrect information that the sale provided and a lot of important information that the sale tried to hide before a customer signed the contract. 

As an employee of AT&T, you definitely want to show that AT&T is all correct. However, you are not standing in my point of view, i.e., a normal customer's view. So let me ask you why AT&T let other companies, which always provide wrong information to customers, sell its products. And do you mean that if sales reps from other companies sell AT&T products, they can say and promise anything they want. And those incorrect information is not AT&T's resposibility. 

Why I signed contract before checking all the policies, because I thought AT&T == Trust. Now I have to change my mind. And all I want to do is reminding other customers who may have same situation as me to be on high alert!

5 of 11 (4,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2013 9:53:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Probably you are right. Those were 3 offers instead of 2. Thanks.
Probably you are right. Those were 3 offers instead of 2. Thanks.

6 of 11 (4,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 11:47:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Called customer service again. There would be $180 early termination fee if I would cancel the U-Verse TV. For the second issue, there is no doube that the D2D sale cheated me(check the message). If she didn't know the policies, she could just say so. I would double check the policies, then I would not go into this trouble. However, she gave me totally wrong information!

Called customer service again. There would be $180 early termination fee if I would cancel the U-Verse TV. For the second issue, there is no doube that the D2D sale cheated me(check the message). If she didn't know the policies, she could just say so. I would double check the policies, then I would not go into this trouble. However, she gave me totally wrong information!

7 of 11 (4,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 12:26:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

adamdingliang wrote:

Did you do what TexasGuy told you to do in the post above?

If not, I would take his advice and send the PM.

adamdingliang wrote:

Did you do what TexasGuy told you to do in the post above?

If not, I would take his advice and send the PM.

8 of 11 (4,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 1:12:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did yesterday. One minute ago, I received an email from an AT&T social media manager. Thanks.

I did yesterday. One minute ago, I received an email from an AT&T social media manager. Thanks.

9 of 11 (4,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 10:08:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Problems are solved. The Executive Escalation Team cleaned up the mess for the sale. Thanks all the replies.

Problems are solved. The Executive Escalation Team cleaned up the mess for the sale. Thanks all the replies.

10 of 11 (4,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 8:17:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm not surprised at all. I, myself been cheated just like this ..Something really need to be done about these scams. This is more like putting a gun at ur head and telling you to give them your money. How are u going to tell me one thing and do another and when i cancel u ask me to pay an early termination fee and if i don't this gets reported to the credit bureas messing your good credit standing.

I'm not surprised at all. I, myself been cheated just like this ..Something really need to be done about these scams. This is more like putting a gun at ur head and telling you to give them your money. How are u going to tell me one thing and do another and when i cancel u ask me to pay an early termination fee and if i don't this gets reported to the credit bureas messing your good credit standing.

11 of 11 (3,313 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments