Helpful Links

Charged for Gateway, that I was told to throw out so I did

Tutor

Charged for Gateway, that I was told to throw out so I did

Hi, I recently canceled my U-verse service because I moved to an apartment complex that is wired for another provider. When I called to cancel my service, the representative informed me that did not have any equipment to return; that I probably paid for it in the beginning. I asked for carification, and was told that I could keep the equipment or throw it away, my choice. My choice was to throw the device away because I had no use for it.

Now, I'm receiving calls and invoices charging me $150 for the Gateway that I've already thrown out. I have called and explained to a representative and was pretty much told "too bad". Who else can I speak to about this? Aren't the calls recorded or somehow documented?

Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Charged for Gateway, that I was told to throw out so I did

Depends on gateway, the 510 or 3600 would have been purchased and yours to do with as you wish, if you had the 3800 or3801 the RG was leased and is the property of AT&T, damaged or lost (stolen, sold, throw away) would incur a charge of $150.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Tutor

Is the fact that an AT&T employee told me I could throw it away irrelevant?
Message 3 of 6
Expert

mara312 wrote:
Is the fact that an AT&T employee told me I could throw it away irrelevant?

Did you pay for the gateway when you originally had the service installed?

Message 4 of 6
Tutor

I have no idea if I paid for it then and they have closed my online account so I cannot see my statements.

Regardless of whether I paid for it then or not, an AT&T employee told me I could throw the device away, so I did. Now I'm supposed to pay for it?
Message 5 of 6
Community Manager

Hello mara312,

I'm sorry you're having issues. You're absolutely right, you shouldn't be responsible if someone else made a mistake! Let our team take a look and see if we can help. Our managers are amazing and you can get in contact with one of them by sending us a private message by clicking here. Please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached and we'll cal you withing next 2 business days.

Please let me know if you any other questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support