Changing from Land Line to Uverse Phone service

Tutor

Changing from Land Line to Uverse Phone service

I have a regular AT&T Land line and a dry loop for Uverse Internet.

If I switch to Uverse Phone service, are they just going to use the dry loop? will they move my current land line phone number over?

Anyone have experience or tips with having this done?

Thanks

Dave

Message 1 of 7 (1,048 Views)
Employee

Re: Changing from Land Line to Uverse Phone service

Yes, U-Verse VOIP services is provided from the phone 1 port on back of RG, if have a single phone or a base station with satellite stations can chose a self install. The self install option will receivea Battery Backup Unit that replaces the power brick between wall outlet and RG power connection. A phone number is provided that you call to transfer the home number.

If have multiple jacks in home recommend the full tech install (billable) that involves disconnecting otside POTS line,and back feeding the voip to inside wiring, usually new double wall plate, data cable, transfer of number. If comfortable with DIY wiring could try self install, if not successfull requesting tech assistance still would incur billing.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (1,045 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your response. Is there a charge to move my current landline number to the Uverse VOIP?

Message 3 of 7 (1,041 Views)
ACE - Expert

DaveIN - Just to give a different spin on MTs good answer-

Your current service - POTS - Plain Old Telephone service is analog/DC/ hardwired to your house wiring.

U-verse voice does have an analog appearance at the jack on the RG. From the RG to the dial network, it is Voice over IP format. It is in a dedicated section of the U-verse broadband signal.

To lose POTS service requires a physical failure of the wiring. U-verse voice is also lost with a wiring failure or an electronics failure or loss of power (that is the reason for battery backup).

U-verse voice does include a number of features not included in POTS.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (1,039 Views)
Employee

As long as doing self install, I am not aware of charge.
Advantages included 1 monthly bill as opposed to two.
Eligibility for bundle discount pricing.

Recommended if home phone is just emergency backup usage the 200 minutes plan
If home phone is primary spend the extra $10 for unlimited plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 7 (1,037 Views)
Contributor

I switched to Uverse internet and landline and before that I NEVER had problems, since then nothing but problems, I JUST paid the last installment on my installation fees and my modem went out and I have to wait 5 days for delivery of another one.  I am disabled and NEED my phone.  Plus I am being charged for the new one pending my return of the defective one, that I JUST finished paying for.  There is something bad wrong with this picture in MY opinion.  My internet has gone in and out many times. I could kick my butt for switching, but too late now I guess, a royal pain in the butt.  Up until this point I had no problems with AT&T and now I am being screwed by them and it seems they have no problem with it.  I am used to that from my electric company but not from AT&T.  I guess I had better get used to it now.

Message 6 of 7 (912 Views)
Employee

You hsvr internet and voip onlu...no iptv service....this is a purchased RG ($100) which you took on a 3 payment plan. The RG includes a one year warranty, once returned by UPS store and veriified defective will receive credit, offsetting the new RG being sent.

would you rather sent your original back first, received, verified defective and then have replacement shipped taking up to a month to receive replacement OR buy another and wait for refund as is current policy?
Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 7 (877 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.