Changing SSID and password on NVG510

Tutor

Changing SSID and password on NVG510

I currently have DSL with a Speedstream 5100 modem (1 port and no wireless) to which I have connected a Netgear router with 4 ports and wireless.

I'm thinking of getting U-verse internet to replace my DSL service. I see that I will have to get a new modem (NVG510) which includes 4 ports and wireless access.

If I change the SSID and password on the NVG510 to my current Netgear SSID and password, will all of my devices connect as they do now?

I just don't want to have to through and try to set up the Dish box, smart TV, etc all over again to a new network. Smiley Frustrated

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10 (2,451 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Changing SSID and password on NVG510

Telcomvic - Yes, that does sound like a more efficient way to get to matching passwords to get a connection.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (2,447 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

What you are asking is exactly what I did with my UVerse RG (Residential Gateway) about 2.5 years ago when I switched from DSL to UVerse.  It worked fine for me, and I don't see why it wouldn't for you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (2,422 Views)
Community Support

Also, keep in mind the security settings, WEP, WPA, WPA2, when making the changes, as if that is incorrect, it will not connect even if the SSID and password are the same.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (2,366 Views)
Tutor

David T,

My current router is WPA-PSK. Do you know what the NVG510 uses?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 10 (2,360 Views)
ACE - Expert

Telcomvic -
Just go here with your browser to check out what is available -http://192.168.1.254/. Same place you will change the password.

I did See David T's post & thought it is a good area to be aware of if there is a problem. But, it seemed over cautious to me.

I was thinking - I choose the security method on the RG. When connecting a device it never asks for security method, just the password. Somehow, it determines and matches the method set in the RG.

To come full circle, Since you are selecting the same password in the new RG , you would naturally select the same security method. If you happen to select a different one, would it still work? I am thinking yes, as long as the remote device supports it, because the remote device never asks the user to specify the method. Or, maybe some devices do ask.
Message 6 of 10 (2,348 Views)
Tutor

Thank you for your reply aviewer. I'll be sure to note what the settings are in the RG when I get it. I don't have it yet.

All of my current devices work with WPA. The old laptop that only supported WEP has gone over to the great cloud in the sky. I had to set up a guest account for it to connect with WEP on my current network.

Message 7 of 10 (2,329 Views)
Teacher

The new modem has a different MAC address.  You may need to reconnect all devices, although setting it up the same sometimes works.  If not, is that really a difficult issue?

Message 8 of 10 (2,272 Views)
Tutor

It CAN be an issue since manufacturers/companies are no longer giving detailed user manuals (or CDs with PDF manuals) with products any more. I even went online to try and find a manual for a couple things and nothing. Even the FAQs didn't have any helpful information on setting up a new network. I did find the loctaion of the Network settings on my Dish Hopper and Samsung smart TV. Those were the two I was most concerned about. I think I know how to change the Network settings on my Kindle and hubby's smart phone. So I may be all set for installation tomorrow.

Message 9 of 10 (2,257 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Well it worked with the wireless items. The only problem I'm having is that the Homegroup (Windows 7) can't connect to my husband's wired computer and the printer attached to it. He can get on the internet and view files & folders on my desktop and laptop. But neither my desktop or the wireless laptop can access his files or the printer attached to it.

The error code is 0x80070035 The network path was not found.

Any suggestions?

Message 10 of 10 (2,233 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support