Posted Oct 26, 2013
5:54:25 PM
View profile
Change in the way TV is broadcast?

Did U-Verse TV change the way it broadcasts in standard definition?  On Wednesday, at 8:10, without changing any of the screen resolution settings on either the TV or the uverse box, the show began showing with black bars around the entire picture.  Now I have to have the picture stretched and there are still black bars on the top and bottom of this screen.  I never had to do this before and it is seriously not cool.

Change in the way TV is broadcast?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2013 6:15:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
lindsaybanning - What channel(call letters) are you talking about? It may have changed. Ask the station.

I believe that SD was originally pretty much all 4:3 to accommodate all those existing 4:3 CRT sets. But, the flat panel widescreen sets really caught on & the stations are starting to transition to a widescreen format for SD. This looks especially bad when it is less than a 4:3 picture.

The STB or TV picture control is needed to handle these odd cases. The best solution is to watch in HD
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Change in the way TV is broadcast?

2 of 4 (325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 12:27:50 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi lindsaybanning,

Another thing that might be causing this is that each program is broadcasted a different way, and there could have been a possible change in the feed at that time, or possibly a change in the way that U-verse broadcasts it. I know with most sporting games, U-verse will broadcast it in a 16:9 format, but the local news on afterwards or an old television program will be on 4:3.

If you notice a different with all your programs, there may have been a change picture ratio on your end. Be sure to check both the TV and the U-verse receiver as both will have their own individual settings for this.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 8:51:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Locally (Indianapolis) WXIN has changed their SD output and it has black bars across the top/.bottom.  I have to go to zoom / 3X to remove them.  Yes, we have a modern HD TV but the wife starts at the low end of SD to watch TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (193 Views)