Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Oct 26, 2013
5:54:25 PM
View profile
Change in the way TV is broadcast?

Did U-Verse TV change the way it broadcasts in standard definition?  On Wednesday, at 8:10, without changing any of the screen resolution settings on either the TV or the uverse box, the show began showing with black bars around the entire picture.  Now I have to have the picture stretched and there are still black bars on the top and bottom of this screen.  I never had to do this before and it is seriously not cool.

Did U-Verse TV change the way it broadcasts in standard definition?  On Wednesday, at 8:10, without changing any of the screen resolution settings on either the TV or the uverse box, the show began showing with black bars around the entire picture.  Now I have to have the picture stretched and there are still black bars on the top and bottom of this screen.  I never had to do this before and it is seriously not cool.

Change in the way TV is broadcast?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2013 6:15:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
lindsaybanning - What channel(call letters) are you talking about? It may have changed. Ask the station.

I believe that SD was originally pretty much all 4:3 to accommodate all those existing 4:3 CRT sets. But, the flat panel widescreen sets really caught on & the stations are starting to transition to a widescreen format for SD. This looks especially bad when it is less than a 4:3 picture.

The STB or TV picture control is needed to handle these odd cases. The best solution is to watch in HD
lindsaybanning - What channel(call letters) are you talking about? It may have changed. Ask the station.

I believe that SD was originally pretty much all 4:3 to accommodate all those existing 4:3 CRT sets. But, the flat panel widescreen sets really caught on & the stations are starting to transition to a widescreen format for SD. This looks especially bad when it is less than a 4:3 picture.

The STB or TV picture control is needed to handle these odd cases. The best solution is to watch in HD
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Change in the way TV is broadcast?

2 of 4 (346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 12:27:50 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi lindsaybanning,

Another thing that might be causing this is that each program is broadcasted a different way, and there could have been a possible change in the feed at that time, or possibly a change in the way that U-verse broadcasts it. I know with most sporting games, U-verse will broadcast it in a 16:9 format, but the local news on afterwards or an old television program will be on 4:3.

If you notice a different with all your programs, there may have been a change picture ratio on your end. Be sure to check both the TV and the U-verse receiver as both will have their own individual settings for this.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi lindsaybanning,

Another thing that might be causing this is that each program is broadcasted a different way, and there could have been a possible change in the feed at that time, or possibly a change in the way that U-verse broadcasts it. I know with most sporting games, U-verse will broadcast it in a 16:9 format, but the local news on afterwards or an old television program will be on 4:3.

If you notice a different with all your programs, there may have been a change picture ratio on your end. Be sure to check both the TV and the U-verse receiver as both will have their own individual settings for this.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 8:51:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Locally (Indianapolis) WXIN has changed their SD output and it has black bars across the top/.bottom.  I have to go to zoom / 3X to remove them.  Yes, we have a modern HD TV but the wife starts at the low end of SD to watch TV.

Locally (Indianapolis) WXIN has changed their SD output and it has black bars across the top/.bottom.  I have to go to zoom / 3X to remove them.  Yes, we have a modern HD TV but the wife starts at the low end of SD to watch TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (214 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments