Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 11, 2014
6:10:32 PM
View profile
Change Of Modem If U-verse Is Cancelled?
Edited by sichuan on Jan 11, 2014 at 6:11:44 PM

I have had AT&T services for years; U-verse, cell phone plan, Internet and home phone. I'm going to cancel my U-verse 450 TV service but retain all the other services. I realize that I will have to return the equipment and wiring to AT&T through UPS, although I don't know the specifics because I haven't cancelled yet. Will I have to return my current modem associated with all four services and buy a different modem or will I be able to keep my present modem?

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

I have had AT&T services for years; U-verse, cell phone plan, Internet and home phone. I'm going to cancel my U-verse 450 TV service but retain all the other services. I realize that I will have to return the equipment and wiring to AT&T through UPS, although I don't know the specifics because I haven't cancelled yet. Will I have to return my current modem associated with all four services and buy a different modem or will I be able to keep my present modem?

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

Change Of Modem If U-verse Is Cancelled?

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 6:49:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

A new HSI/Phone (i.e. no IPTV) U-verse customer would have to purchase a modem (a $100 one time charge) and not pay a modem rental.  Since you already have a rental modem, AT&T may just let you keep it hoping that maybe you'll change your mind, but they'll still charge you rent.  You could probably force the issue and purchase a new RG and return the rental unit you have.

I'd suggest that you discuss your options with AT&T.

A new HSI/Phone (i.e. no IPTV) U-verse customer would have to purchase a modem (a $100 one time charge) and not pay a modem rental.  Since you already have a rental modem, AT&T may just let you keep it hoping that maybe you'll change your mind, but they'll still charge you rent.  You could probably force the issue and purchase a new RG and return the rental unit you have.

I'd suggest that you discuss your options with AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Change Of Modem If U-verse Is Cancelled?

2 of 9 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 7:13:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

I appreciate the prompt reply, JefferMC. I was just curious. If I can keep the modem and pay a small monthly rental fee, say $5.00 monthly, I'll keep the modem because I've never had an AT&T supplied modem last more than a year, two or three of them lasting only a few months. If the monthly rental charge is ten to fifteen dollars I'll simply return the modem and buy my own. If I purchase my own will it have to be a Pace/2Wire/Motorola or will all brands work? I'll want something that will be reliable, with a good wireless signal. I'm not worried about the cost.

I appreciate the prompt reply, JefferMC. I was just curious. If I can keep the modem and pay a small monthly rental fee, say $5.00 monthly, I'll keep the modem because I've never had an AT&T supplied modem last more than a year, two or three of them lasting only a few months. If the monthly rental charge is ten to fifteen dollars I'll simply return the modem and buy my own. If I purchase my own will it have to be a Pace/2Wire/Motorola or will all brands work? I'll want something that will be reliable, with a good wireless signal. I'm not worried about the cost.

3 of 9 (482 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2014 7:46:37 PM
(0)
Employee
So cost will be in between your prices, $7 a month for lease, no issues replacing if problem

Purchased unit (provided not on bonded install) will be $100 with one year warranty.
If issue during the year, you purchase another, and sent the defective back for credit.
After the year, if problem have a nice door stop.
So cost will be in between your prices, $7 a month for lease, no issues replacing if problem

Purchased unit (provided not on bonded install) will be $100 with one year warranty.
If issue during the year, you purchase another, and sent the defective back for credit.
After the year, if problem have a nice door stop.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 9:20:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply, my thoughts. I'll probably keep the modem I have if allowed to do so by AT&T; otherwise, I'll do a little research and find a reliable modem/router to purchase. These Pace/2Wire modems just don't last too long before malfunctioning. It all depends on AT&T, a company I've never had any problems with. Their service has been outstanding concerning any past issues I've had. Unlike many people, I don't expect any company to put aside the issues of other customers and immediately divert their attention to my problem.

Thanks for the reply, my thoughts. I'll probably keep the modem I have if allowed to do so by AT&T; otherwise, I'll do a little research and find a reliable modem/router to purchase. These Pace/2Wire modems just don't last too long before malfunctioning. It all depends on AT&T, a company I've never had any problems with. Their service has been outstanding concerning any past issues I've had. Unlike many people, I don't expect any company to put aside the issues of other customers and immediately divert their attention to my problem.

5 of 9 (441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 4:20:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your choices of modem are extremely limited, first because VDSL2 modems are not normally offered in the direct to consumer market and second because you must have the AT&T firmware load for the modem to authenticate to the AT&T network.

Your choices of modem are extremely limited, first because VDSL2 modems are not normally offered in the direct to consumer market and second because you must have the AT&T firmware load for the modem to authenticate to the AT&T network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 4:47:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

We had uverse internet and U300 TV. When we cancelled TV we only had to return the STB's. We still have the 2wire RG (i38hg) for $6 per month lease.

We had uverse internet and U300 TV. When we cancelled TV we only had to return the STB's. We still have the 2wire RG (i38hg) for $6 per month lease.

7 of 9 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 5:01:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks again, JefferMC. I had to search for VDSL2 just to know what you were talking about. I understand what you're telling me although I don't understand the technology. I'll purchase whichever modem-wireless router is appropriate if AT&T doesn't allow me to rent my existing one.

Thanks again, JefferMC. I had to search for VDSL2 just to know what you were talking about. I understand what you're telling me although I don't understand the technology. I'll purchase whichever modem-wireless router is appropriate if AT&T doesn't allow me to rent my existing one.

8 of 9 (406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 5:10:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, browndk26. That's nice to know. I'll be keeping my AT&T Inernet, home phone and cell phones.

Thanks, browndk26. That's nice to know. I'll be keeping my AT&T Inernet, home phone and cell phones.

9 of 9 (404 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments