Cat5e Install doesn't look right?

Tutor

Cat5e Install doesn't look right?

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, first post here.

I had an AT&T repairman come out to replace a defective 2Wire 3800 Gateway. He said the coax cable coming in from the 'home run box', I think it's called, might be problematic so he replaced with a Cat5e line. Everything works but it just seems my internet is a bit slower. I decided to look into the box outside where all my cables come in and I see that the newly installed Cat5e line looks as though it's only partially hooked up in that only 2 of the 5 wires in that line are connected. Does this picture look right?   Thanks  

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DXILg1CMTm9QFQ9M3hmzvt6gO-At72BJiE1GOESr-wc?feat=directlink

Mike

Message 1 of 7 (794 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Cat5e Install doesn't look right?

[ Edited ]

Yes the way it's done is correct.  The signal TO the AT&T router only uses 2 wires to get the signal there.  Out of the router's data switch it uses all 4 pair such as to connect an ethernet port on a computer to it.

As for your internet seeming slower, is this on a wireless connection or hardwired?  If wireless try hardwired and see if you see the same behavior.  You can alos download a program called inSSIDer to scan for the least conjested channel to set your new 3800 to for optimal speed and performance.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (790 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the quick reply. Ok, it just looks weird. It 'seems' slower in both wireless and hardwired. Thank you for the link!

I have some Cat6 line left over from when my home was remodeled. Would it make a difference for me to replace the that Cat5e line for the Cat6?   Thanks

Oh, I was just thinking. Your answer makes sense since the coax cable it replaced is essentially only 2 'wires' I think, the inner copper wire and the outer metal mesh.

Message 3 of 7 (784 Views)
ACE - Master

No replacing the Cat 5e with Cat 6 will make no difference.  All that cable is used for, as you know, is to bring the service to the 3800.  The sync rate is not near enough to exceed the Cat 5e's capability.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (750 Views)
Tutor

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7 (737 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I would take the 3 remaining pair and twist them back around the outer cat5 cable in a spiral fashion as most in the structual wiring busines would do as its neater and less chance of them being damaged incase you ever need to use another pair.

Message 6 of 7 (717 Views)
Tutor

Will do, thanks.

Message 7 of 7 (711 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.