Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 9, 2013
10:20:00 PM
View profile
Cannot connect Kindle to wifi anymore...I've tried it all!

Well I think I've tried it all. Quick history:

We used to have just Uverse high speed internet and Cox TV, and all wireless devices were connected fine. About 3 months ago, we got rid of Cox and added Uverse digital TV, at which point the tech came out and swapped out our AT&T gateway for a new one and a wireless access point box. The new gateway is a Pace 3801HGV…I don’t remember the previous one.

Anyway, it’s clear now that the problems we’ve been having with our Kindle Touch have only started occurring with the change to the new gateway. Here’s the problem: the kindle ‘sees’ the wifi (2WIRE…), but when I enter the password I always get an error saying that it is unable to connect to the network. Not that the password is wrong, or anything else…just an error that it cannot connect. Some things to note:

-the kindle touch connects fine to other external wifi networks (Starbucks, my work, etc)

-all of my other wireless devices (ipad, blu-ray, PC) connect fine, including 2 Kindle Fires

-I’ve tried resetting (and also unplugging) the gateway, the access point box, the kindle touch

-I’ve tried making the Kindle ‘forget’ the wifi and ‘re-remember’ it

In addition, I’ve searched the AT&T forums and tried everything I’ve found, like:

-manually adding the IP address, subnet mask, router, DNS info (found at http://192.168.1.254 under broadband status) into my kindle after setting DHCP to static

-messing with MAC filtering (off and on), including manually adding my kindle’s mac address to allowed device

-I even bought a brand new 2013 Kindle Paperwhite, only to get the same problem!

AND of course I’ve chatted with and called AT&T support only to be painfully walked through the basic stuff like ‘try entering the password again’, ultimately being offered the opportunity to pay $45 a year for device support that probably will accomplish nothing!

Any ideas? This is painful and frustrating and I feel like AT&T is unreachable in terms of getting into the details of this problem. It’s not the Kindle (since it works on other networks), and I have a feeling that the solution could be buried in the 192.168.1.254 page, but most of that is greek to me!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Well I think I've tried it all. Quick history:

We used to have just Uverse high speed internet and Cox TV, and all wireless devices were connected fine. About 3 months ago, we got rid of Cox and added Uverse digital TV, at which point the tech came out and swapped out our AT&T gateway for a new one and a wireless access point box. The new gateway is a Pace 3801HGV…I don’t remember the previous one.

Anyway, it’s clear now that the problems we’ve been having with our Kindle Touch have only started occurring with the change to the new gateway. Here’s the problem: the kindle ‘sees’ the wifi (2WIRE…), but when I enter the password I always get an error saying that it is unable to connect to the network. Not that the password is wrong, or anything else…just an error that it cannot connect. Some things to note:

-the kindle touch connects fine to other external wifi networks (Starbucks, my work, etc)

-all of my other wireless devices (ipad, blu-ray, PC) connect fine, including 2 Kindle Fires

-I’ve tried resetting (and also unplugging) the gateway, the access point box, the kindle touch

-I’ve tried making the Kindle ‘forget’ the wifi and ‘re-remember’ it

In addition, I’ve searched the AT&T forums and tried everything I’ve found, like:

-manually adding the IP address, subnet mask, router, DNS info (found at http://192.168.1.254 under broadband status) into my kindle after setting DHCP to static

-messing with MAC filtering (off and on), including manually adding my kindle’s mac address to allowed device

-I even bought a brand new 2013 Kindle Paperwhite, only to get the same problem!

AND of course I’ve chatted with and called AT&T support only to be painfully walked through the basic stuff like ‘try entering the password again’, ultimately being offered the opportunity to pay $45 a year for device support that probably will accomplish nothing!

Any ideas? This is painful and frustrating and I feel like AT&T is unreachable in terms of getting into the details of this problem. It’s not the Kindle (since it works on other networks), and I have a feeling that the solution could be buried in the 192.168.1.254 page, but most of that is greek to me!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Cannot connect Kindle to wifi anymore...I've tried it all!

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 3:41:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here is a thread, although from 2011, that has several solutions/options that corrected the issue for others:  http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Att-uverse-and-Kindle/td-p/2301017

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Here is a thread, although from 2011, that has several solutions/options that corrected the issue for others:  http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Att-uverse-and-Kindle/td-p/2301017

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cannot connect Kindle to wifi anymore...I've tried it all!

2 of 7 (1,152 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 11:35:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks, but that thread is the one that led me to try the things I listed in my original post, none of which worked, so no, no help. I had really hoped those ideas would work but they didn't.

Hi,

Thanks, but that thread is the one that led me to try the things I listed in my original post, none of which worked, so no, no help. I had really hoped those ideas would work but they didn't.

3 of 7 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 3:00:11 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Moved for better exposure

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 7 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 1:54:00 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi suntower,

I have been going through the support pages for the Kindle, and it appears it is a very common issue with the device. One person summed it up the best, and said there does not appear to be one common fix that resolves the issue.

The only other things I have noticed from going through the massive amounts of information is that a lot of people seemed to have gotten it fixed by downloading the update. Unfortunately, the only way it appears that can be done is through the wireless connection that is not working, or connecting the Kindle to a computer, which also has problems.

The only other common fix I see is that a lot of people have been playing around with their wireless security to get it to work. After you login to the U-verse router and go to the wireless section, you can change the name (SSID), wireless security, password, and wireless channel. It may be worth trying to different wireless security types, such as WEP-OPEN, and even testing on none to see if it might work.

Let us know how it goes,

David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi suntower,

I have been going through the support pages for the Kindle, and it appears it is a very common issue with the device. One person summed it up the best, and said there does not appear to be one common fix that resolves the issue.

The only other things I have noticed from going through the massive amounts of information is that a lot of people seemed to have gotten it fixed by downloading the update. Unfortunately, the only way it appears that can be done is through the wireless connection that is not working, or connecting the Kindle to a computer, which also has problems.

The only other common fix I see is that a lot of people have been playing around with their wireless security to get it to work. After you login to the U-verse router and go to the wireless section, you can change the name (SSID), wireless security, password, and wireless channel. It may be worth trying to different wireless security types, such as WEP-OPEN, and even testing on none to see if it might work.

Let us know how it goes,

David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2013 2:08:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem and am on kindle #4!  I have changed the network name and passwords which only sometimes works and for only a  brief period of time, usually less than an hour but one time I was able to stay connected for about a week!

The one thing I have not tried yet is changing the cannel.  But honestly with the connect problem and the freezing up problem I am about ready to call it quits. 

I have the same problem and am on kindle #4!  I have changed the network name and passwords which only sometimes works and for only a  brief period of time, usually less than an hour but one time I was able to stay connected for about a week!

The one thing I have not tried yet is changing the cannel.  But honestly with the connect problem and the freezing up problem I am about ready to call it quits. 

6 of 7 (924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2013 4:15:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wish I could say that I found the solution, but I haven't. David T of AT&T was very helpful and gave me many other ideas to try, but nothing worked. He sent me out a new gateway, and it had the same problem. I tried a new separate router connected to the gateway...no luck. Tried setting up my PC as a hotspot, no luck. I pretty much tried everything and finally decided to give up. Now I'm just downloading stuff to my kindle via USB connection to my PC, which is easy. I'm glad I gave up the fight because it was driving me insane!

Wish I could say that I found the solution, but I haven't. David T of AT&T was very helpful and gave me many other ideas to try, but nothing worked. He sent me out a new gateway, and it had the same problem. I tried a new separate router connected to the gateway...no luck. Tried setting up my PC as a hotspot, no luck. I pretty much tried everything and finally decided to give up. Now I'm just downloading stuff to my kindle via USB connection to my PC, which is easy. I'm glad I gave up the fight because it was driving me insane!

7 of 7 (915 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments