Cannot connect Acer Aspire One running Windows 8 to AT&T wireless router/modem Motorola NVG510

Cannot connect Acer Aspire One running Windows 8 to AT&T wireless router/modem Motorola NVG510

I recently ordered and have set up new Uverse Internet service.  I followed the instructions and set up the modem / router and I am able to connect wirelessly to the router with several devices to include iPhones, a samsung tablet and even another windows 8 computer.  However, my Acer laptop will not connect.  When attempting to connect I do the following:

1. Settings : network : and under WIFI I choose the AT&T router.

2. The  box that says "connect automatically is checked" and I click "Connect"

3. I enter the network security key and I am given the option of turning on sharing between devices or not (I have tride it both ways.

4. First it says "verifying and connecting" and then It says "cannot connect to the network"

I have called Uverse support and they walked me through reseting the modem and that was not successful.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11 (1,090 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Cannot connect Acer Aspire One running Windows 8 to AT&T wireless router/modem Motorola NVG5

Rickstwowheels - As a test, to see if it is a security issue - turn off security in the RG & try it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11 (1,090 Views)

Re: Cannot connect Acer Aspire One running Windows 8 to AT&T wireless router/modem Motorola NVG5

I'm sorry, I don't know what the RG is?

Message 3 of 11 (1,089 Views)
ACE - Expert

RG iss the u-verse modem that generates the wi-fi. Access is visa browser - http://192.168.1.254/
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11 (1,076 Views)

Thank you.  I turned security off and it no longer asks for the network key, but it still does not connect.

Message 5 of 11 (1,067 Views)
ACE - Expert

How about a wired connection??
Message 6 of 11 (1,065 Views)

An ethernet connection works, but wont work for how I use this computer.  I use it to stream TV in a room with no phone connection.

Message 7 of 11 (1,064 Views)
ACE - Expert

Eventually we would want to get to full use for you. But, the purpose of testing is to rule things out. Right now I am down to bad wireless in the computer because you say other things work with the RG. The last step would be to try the laptop with other wi-fi. If that worked it might mean the laptop & RG are just not going to work together.

You could go for another RG, have the laptop checked out, get a USB wireless for the laptop or figure out a way to connect wired. Do you happen to have an STB connected COAX at the TV or nearby?? Connect the laptop to the network jack on the STB.
Message 8 of 11 (1,061 Views)

I have two wireless networks.  I have a cable modem connected to the coax and a wireless router to that, this computer works fine on that network.  I was planning on disconnecting the Charter internet when I got this working, but now I'm not so sure.

Message 9 of 11 (1,060 Views)
ACE - Expert

Have you tried it with the Charter wi-fi turned off??
Message 10 of 11 (1,056 Views)

Good idea, I just tried it though, still won't connect.

Message 11 of 11 (1,054 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.