Cannot access my DVR through my gateway.

Teacher

Cannot access my DVR through my gateway.

Hi all,

About a month ago I upgraded to Uverse, from DSL and have been pretty happy with the speed upgrade (Ya ya I know, DSL was about as slow as you could go).  Anyways, I have a security camera system (Qsee) tied into the network and everything seems to work fine.  Meaning, the Port Forwarding is set up correctly.  I know this because I can view my cameras via the Iphone app, and from a buddy of mines home computer; he can type in my WAN address and the Webclient Login box pops up.  So, that is showing that remote access is available.

So, my issue is peculiar.  I cannot view my camera system from my desktop at work.  I try typing in my DDNS address and that just times out.  I try typing my WAN address and it also times out.  Now, my cubemate has the same camera system, but with Comcast, and I can log into his system, from my computer with NO issues.  To log into his system I merely type in his IP address and away I go.  A second co-worker has the same set up as well, but again with a Comcast router at home, and I can view his system from my PC too.  So, I know its not my PC or a Firewall issue.  What else could this be????

I am STUMPED!  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 21
Teacher

Re: Cannot access my DVR through my gateway.

lol.  Yes.  Philosophic and true...  

Message 16 of 21
Teacher

Just trying to wrap my head around this one still.  I guess I just don't know enough about IP tracing to understand why, with the exception of the final destination address, everything is the same; however, I cannot gaini access to my Router from my office.  I attached a clearer tracert for my friends DVR and Mine.  Again, his I can gain access to, but mine I cannot.  Could there be something in the Router Firewall that doesn't allow this IP address to tap into its gateway?  

Below is the traces for both.  Again, I can access my DVR cameras via my phone, so everything is working as it should.  Well, I guess not really since I cannot gain access via my PC.  

Message 17 of 21
ACE - Expert

Apparently some router is blocking ICMP just beyond the last hop that reports back.

Unfortunately, this renders the Traceroutes unhelpful as a mechanism for determining your issue.  If your phone can reach the cameras while outside your home's WiFi range, then your home RG and network are configured properly for external access.  You could confirm this another way by using a public computer in a library, or your phone in a WiFi hotspot (such as Starbucks).

I'm assuming there's no one in your corporate setting who would be "helpful" if you mentioned this issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 21
Teacher

No, the IT guys are too busy to worry about this issue.  Man Very Happy

Its bizarre, I sent these same IP addresses to my brother and he got the same results.  One worked, but mine did not.  Could it be Port 85 is being the stubborn issue?  I am wondering if I try and change it to Port 80 to see if this clears up the issue.  Maybe the firewalls have a problem with this port being non-standard?  Well, wait...I think I read somewhere that Port 80 is used by the 589 for something else.  

Just reaching for some rashionale.  

Message 19 of 21
ACE - Expert

I don't think the 589 intercepts external requests to port 80 (as it does for port 443 if you have a wireless IPTV receiver).  Using port 80 may help you around corporate firewalls and the like.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 21
Highlighted
Teacher

I don't have the TV portion of Uverse, so maybe I am safe to try this. Though, I think when I accidentally put Port 80 in the pass-through setting, it popped up an error stating that the system may become unstable. Is that what you are referring to?
Message 21 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support