Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 24, 2014
10:50:10 AM
View profile
Cannot access my DVR through my gateway.

Hi all,

About a month ago I upgraded to Uverse, from DSL and have been pretty happy with the speed upgrade (Ya ya I know, DSL was about as slow as you could go).  Anyways, I have a security camera system (Qsee) tied into the network and everything seems to work fine.  Meaning, the Port Forwarding is set up correctly.  I know this because I can view my cameras via the Iphone app, and from a buddy of mines home computer; he can type in my WAN address and the Webclient Login box pops up.  So, that is showing that remote access is available.

So, my issue is peculiar.  I cannot view my camera system from my desktop at work.  I try typing in my DDNS address and that just times out.  I try typing my WAN address and it also times out.  Now, my cubemate has the same camera system, but with Comcast, and I can log into his system, from my computer with NO issues.  To log into his system I merely type in his IP address and away I go.  A second co-worker has the same set up as well, but again with a Comcast router at home, and I can view his system from my PC too.  So, I know its not my PC or a Firewall issue.  What else could this be????

I am STUMPED!  Any ideas?

Hi all,

About a month ago I upgraded to Uverse, from DSL and have been pretty happy with the speed upgrade (Ya ya I know, DSL was about as slow as you could go).  Anyways, I have a security camera system (Qsee) tied into the network and everything seems to work fine.  Meaning, the Port Forwarding is set up correctly.  I know this because I can view my cameras via the Iphone app, and from a buddy of mines home computer; he can type in my WAN address and the Webclient Login box pops up.  So, that is showing that remote access is available.

So, my issue is peculiar.  I cannot view my camera system from my desktop at work.  I try typing in my DDNS address and that just times out.  I try typing my WAN address and it also times out.  Now, my cubemate has the same camera system, but with Comcast, and I can log into his system, from my computer with NO issues.  To log into his system I merely type in his IP address and away I go.  A second co-worker has the same set up as well, but again with a Comcast router at home, and I can view his system from my PC too.  So, I know its not my PC or a Firewall issue.  What else could this be????

I am STUMPED!  Any ideas?

Cannot access my DVR through my gateway.

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 10:56:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

If your facts are correct, and you have access from your buddies house, then this is most likely a firewall issue at your office.  Either they do not like your home ip address, and/or the port that you are using.

If your facts are correct, and you have access from your buddies house, then this is most likely a firewall issue at your office.  Either they do not like your home ip address, and/or the port that you are using.

Re: Cannot access my DVR through my gateway.

2 of 21 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 1:38:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am thinking the firewall does not like the address I am using.  It is truely baffeling to me.  Also frustrating, as my co-workers luv telling me I should have paid the extra money and went to Comcast.  Smiley Mad

I tell them I didn't feel like being lynched each month.  I guess I will have to wait for AT&T to assign me another IP address before I know if this is the realy deal.  

I am thinking the firewall does not like the address I am using.  It is truely baffeling to me.  Also frustrating, as my co-workers luv telling me I should have paid the extra money and went to Comcast.  Smiley Mad

I tell them I didn't feel like being lynched each month.  I guess I will have to wait for AT&T to assign me another IP address before I know if this is the realy deal.  

3 of 21 (706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 1:48:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

JFolena wrote:

... I guess I will have to wait for AT&T to assign me another IP address before I know if this is the realy deal.  

Could be a long wait.  The "dynamic" IP addresses assigned to RG's last for a long, long time.  RG swap or maybe change-of-port-type long time.

JFolena wrote:

... I guess I will have to wait for AT&T to assign me another IP address before I know if this is the realy deal.  

Could be a long wait.  The "dynamic" IP addresses assigned to RG's last for a long, long time.  RG swap or maybe change-of-port-type long time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 21 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 2:58:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

JefferMC thanks for the reply.  I don't think they will send me another router, so how would I change port type?

JefferMC thanks for the reply.  I don't think they will send me another router, so how would I change port type?

5 of 21 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 5:52:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can't.  What I meant by that was an AT&T tech changing the port on the other end of the pair from your RG.  Your IP could be pretty much considered static.

You can't.  What I meant by that was an AT&T tech changing the port on the other end of the pair from your RG.  Your IP could be pretty much considered static.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 21 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 7:49:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well, it must be something local.  My buddy who is in Seattle can access my DVR login screen via my IP address, but locally I cannot.  I went to my neighbors house and typed in my IP and it cannot find it.  I guess I'm screwed if I want to have that feature. 

I tried running an IP tracker from my work and it really only has about four connections points and then times out.  Seems like that may be the issue....  Somewhere down the pipeline there is a problem...

Well, it must be something local.  My buddy who is in Seattle can access my DVR login screen via my IP address, but locally I cannot.  I went to my neighbors house and typed in my IP and it cannot find it.  I guess I'm screwed if I want to have that feature. 

I tried running an IP tracker from my work and it really only has about four connections points and then times out.  Seems like that may be the issue....  Somewhere down the pipeline there is a problem...

7 of 21 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 7:59:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Post your traceroute if you don't mind.   You might try one from home to work, and one from work to home.  Also get your coworkers' traceroute to their homes.  You'll need to mask out the last couple of octets of your home IPs when you post them.

Post your traceroute if you don't mind.   You might try one from home to work, and one from work to home.  Also get your coworkers' traceroute to their homes.  You'll need to mask out the last couple of octets of your home IPs when you post them.

8 of 21 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 7:25:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

JefferMC,

Sounds good.  One question.  How safe is it to post that on here?  

JefferMC,

Sounds good.  One question.  How safe is it to post that on here?  

9 of 21 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 7:48:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:58:56 AM

This is a public forum.  Post nothing here that you feel uncomfortable sharing with the world.

That's why I suggest you mask the end-user IP's, though keeping the first two or three octets help identify the carrier, etc. while not identifying an end user's network.

For example:

Tracing route to xxxx.com [208.69.xx.xx]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  (hosts)cisco [172.16.x.x]
  2     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  (hosts)first-hop [204.116.x.x]
  3    17 ms     8 ms     8 ms  (hosts)second-hop [165.166.22.x]
  4     8 ms     7 ms    14 ms  xe-lag2.clma1.ip4.spirittelecom.net [165.166.22.1]
  5     8 ms    20 ms     8 ms  165.166.22.14
  6    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  ae5-550.atl11.ip4.tinet.net [216.221.159.213]
  7    56 ms    56 ms    56 ms  xe-4-1-0.chi11.ip4.tinet.net [141.136.109.149]
  8    64 ms    64 ms    64 ms  db-transit-gw.ip4.tinet.net [199.168.63.58]
  9    66 ms    66 ms    66 ms  208.86.248.x
 10    67 ms    67 ms    67 ms  xxxx.net [208.69.xxx.xx]

Trace complete.

This is a public forum.  Post nothing here that you feel uncomfortable sharing with the world.

That's why I suggest you mask the end-user IP's, though keeping the first two or three octets help identify the carrier, etc. while not identifying an end user's network.

For example:

Tracing route to xxxx.com [208.69.xx.xx]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  (hosts)cisco [172.16.x.x]
  2     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  (hosts)first-hop [204.116.x.x]
  3    17 ms     8 ms     8 ms  (hosts)second-hop [165.166.22.x]
  4     8 ms     7 ms    14 ms  xe-lag2.clma1.ip4.spirittelecom.net [165.166.22.1]
  5     8 ms    20 ms     8 ms  165.166.22.14
  6    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  ae5-550.atl11.ip4.tinet.net [216.221.159.213]
  7    56 ms    56 ms    56 ms  xe-4-1-0.chi11.ip4.tinet.net [141.136.109.149]
  8    64 ms    64 ms    64 ms  db-transit-gw.ip4.tinet.net [199.168.63.58]
  9    66 ms    66 ms    66 ms  208.86.248.x
 10    67 ms    67 ms    67 ms  xxxx.net [208.69.xxx.xx]

Trace complete.

[ Edited ]
10 of 21 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:01:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

OK, here is the traces from all three sites.  Mine, which I cannot access my DVR and my friend from work where I CAN view their systems.  

I actually tested another buddies systems and I can also view his too, but I did not attach his on here.  I figure one was enough...

Thanks!

OK, here is the traces from all three sites.  Mine, which I cannot access my DVR and my friend from work where I CAN view their systems.  

I actually tested another buddies systems and I can also view his too, but I did not attach his on here.  I figure one was enough...

Thanks!

11 of 21 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 9:18:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You work for network-tools.com?

I'm assuming not.  Which means that you're using an external website to collect traceroutes for you.  This means that these are invalid for trying to see what your path is from your office to your home since what they do is trace from some point they decide on from the point of view of their network--not yours.

Can you open a CMD window and use the "tracert" command?

You work for network-tools.com?

I'm assuming not.  Which means that you're using an external website to collect traceroutes for you.  This means that these are invalid for trying to see what your path is from your office to your home since what they do is trace from some point they decide on from the point of view of their network--not yours.

Can you open a CMD window and use the "tracert" command?

12 of 21 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 9:38:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

I do not work for traceroutes.

Sorry, I didn't realise that made a difference.  Let me try from my CMD port.  

I do not work for traceroutes.

Sorry, I didn't realise that made a difference.  Let me try from my CMD port.  

13 of 21 (622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 9:46:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

14 of 21 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 2:15:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

165.88.0.0/16 is listed by ARIN as belonging to one company.  The other addresses that you route through are less clear: one is owned by Verizon (UUNET) the other is too fragemented to know.  In any case, it does appear that your packets are not getting out of that companies routing before being lost.  Unfortunate, this is.  Bad routing leads to dispair.  Dispair leads to the dark side.

You could go through an anonymizer or VPN service but this may not fair any better.

165.88.0.0/16 is listed by ARIN as belonging to one company.  The other addresses that you route through are less clear: one is owned by Verizon (UUNET) the other is too fragemented to know.  In any case, it does appear that your packets are not getting out of that companies routing before being lost.  Unfortunate, this is.  Bad routing leads to dispair.  Dispair leads to the dark side.

You could go through an anonymizer or VPN service but this may not fair any better.

15 of 21 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 3:17:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

lol.  Yes.  Philosophic and true...  

lol.  Yes.  Philosophic and true...  

16 of 21 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 3:10:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just trying to wrap my head around this one still.  I guess I just don't know enough about IP tracing to understand why, with the exception of the final destination address, everything is the same; however, I cannot gaini access to my Router from my office.  I attached a clearer tracert for my friends DVR and Mine.  Again, his I can gain access to, but mine I cannot.  Could there be something in the Router Firewall that doesn't allow this IP address to tap into its gateway?  

Below is the traces for both.  Again, I can access my DVR cameras via my phone, so everything is working as it should.  Well, I guess not really since I cannot gain access via my PC.  

Just trying to wrap my head around this one still.  I guess I just don't know enough about IP tracing to understand why, with the exception of the final destination address, everything is the same; however, I cannot gaini access to my Router from my office.  I attached a clearer tracert for my friends DVR and Mine.  Again, his I can gain access to, but mine I cannot.  Could there be something in the Router Firewall that doesn't allow this IP address to tap into its gateway?  

Below is the traces for both.  Again, I can access my DVR cameras via my phone, so everything is working as it should.  Well, I guess not really since I cannot gain access via my PC.  

17 of 21 (549 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 1:41:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Apparently some router is blocking ICMP just beyond the last hop that reports back.

Unfortunately, this renders the Traceroutes unhelpful as a mechanism for determining your issue.  If your phone can reach the cameras while outside your home's WiFi range, then your home RG and network are configured properly for external access.  You could confirm this another way by using a public computer in a library, or your phone in a WiFi hotspot (such as Starbucks).

I'm assuming there's no one in your corporate setting who would be "helpful" if you mentioned this issue.

Apparently some router is blocking ICMP just beyond the last hop that reports back.

Unfortunately, this renders the Traceroutes unhelpful as a mechanism for determining your issue.  If your phone can reach the cameras while outside your home's WiFi range, then your home RG and network are configured properly for external access.  You could confirm this another way by using a public computer in a library, or your phone in a WiFi hotspot (such as Starbucks).

I'm assuming there's no one in your corporate setting who would be "helpful" if you mentioned this issue.

18 of 21 (518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 2:22:43 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by JFolena on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:08:51 PM

No, the IT guys are too busy to worry about this issue.  Man Very Happy

Its bizarre, I sent these same IP addresses to my brother and he got the same results.  One worked, but mine did not.  Could it be Port 85 is being the stubborn issue?  I am wondering if I try and change it to Port 80 to see if this clears up the issue.  Maybe the firewalls have a problem with this port being non-standard?  Well, wait...I think I read somewhere that Port 80 is used by the 589 for something else.  

Just reaching for some rashionale.  

No, the IT guys are too busy to worry about this issue.  Man Very Happy

Its bizarre, I sent these same IP addresses to my brother and he got the same results.  One worked, but mine did not.  Could it be Port 85 is being the stubborn issue?  I am wondering if I try and change it to Port 80 to see if this clears up the issue.  Maybe the firewalls have a problem with this port being non-standard?  Well, wait...I think I read somewhere that Port 80 is used by the 589 for something else.  

Just reaching for some rashionale.  

[ Edited ]
19 of 21 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 3:33:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't think the 589 intercepts external requests to port 80 (as it does for port 443 if you have a wireless IPTV receiver).  Using port 80 may help you around corporate firewalls and the like.

I don't think the 589 intercepts external requests to port 80 (as it does for port 443 if you have a wireless IPTV receiver).  Using port 80 may help you around corporate firewalls and the like.

20 of 21 (503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 3:54:55 PM
(0)
Teacher
I don't have the TV portion of Uverse, so maybe I am safe to try this. Though, I think when I accidentally put Port 80 in the pass-through setting, it popped up an error stating that the system may become unstable. Is that what you are referring to?
I don't have the TV portion of Uverse, so maybe I am safe to try this. Though, I think when I accidentally put Port 80 in the pass-through setting, it popped up an error stating that the system may become unstable. Is that what you are referring to?

21 of 21 (499 Views)