Posted Jan 18, 2012
10:07:49 PM
Can you have a second DSL line?

We have the Land line - DSL - U-Verse bundle right now; I want to know if it's possible to have a 2nd DSL line installed?

It's just a basic residence; our phone company termination box outside has the standard dual line setup.

But looks like what we're in need of to run our new computer is a 2nd DSL line.

Will we need an additional separate modem then?

Thanks for any info!

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 9:41:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

aviewer - Thanks for your info.  Both my phone line and my DSL line are with ATT. It seems I've been a bit extravagant having a separate line for each thinking it would give me a more dependable system.  So, if I go with U-verse, I'll try giving up one of the lines to hopefully cancel some of the extra cost with U-verse. But, as you suggest, I'll try to find out from ATT if keeping both lines is necessary (so far, they haven't been able to give me an answer).    

Re: Can you have a second DSL line?

31 of 48 (2,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 2:53:53 AM
(0)
Employee
Only one account per residents location for uverse.
For phone, if staying on POTS need to keep that line, Uverse can ride on same line, a vdsl splitter can be installed in NID to separate signals if receiving tv services. If not getting IPTV then will like receive the 3600 or 5031 RG and use individual filters on each hardwired phone.

If planning on using VOIP instead of POTS, the phone signal comes from the RG, no need for filters....but line needs to be back feed to house wiring. For IPTV installs tech will do this, if a customer self install (CSI) this is your responsibility.
If need assistance on rewiring, for a CSI, there is a $99 charge.

If your phones use a base station with satellite extensions, best for VOIP to plug base directly into back of RG, avoiding any rewiring.

Hope this helps. Best as you move forward with your decisions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

32 of 48 (2,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 4:45:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
worker37 - It is really hard to give a complete answer in one shot. Also, there are different perspectives. I believe my first answer was primarily from a physical perspective - Same for MT - Then I kind of wondered about if you were thinking of having DSL and U-verse & stuck that on.

To address - So, if I go with U-verse, I'll try giving up one of the lines to hopefully cancel some of the extra cost with U-verse. But, as you suggest, I'll try to find out from ATT if keeping both lines is necessary.

I guess the decision dry-line or combined DSL/POTS is a customer decision. (giving you your perspective) For U-verse, how to apply the number of pairs (what you may see as lines) is not a customer decision & does not impact customer cost. It is totally a technical decision by att. Done as part of the install depending on what is available.

The U-verse customer decision is to keep POTS or transition to U-verse voice (VOIP). You are familiar with POTS service. MT gave a good description of the VOIP service. Some other aspects are - VOIP is less expensive and has more features. VOIP is less reliable that POTS. To lose POTS requires a loss of physical connection. VOIP is out when the U-verse electronics are out. Also, after the battery runs out when there is no power. You get to maintain the battery (i.e. buy a new one when it is worn out).
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

33 of 48 (2,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 6:21:42 AM
(0)
Employee
As aviewer pointed out,there are VOIP limiting factors
1) the 250 plan counts all minutes incoming and outgoing except to other uverse numbers and 800 #s... $25 month
2) unlimited is $35 month, perferred if using home phone more than 10 minutes per day average.
3) both are service based dependence.

POTS is what used to, more reliable, but if someone cuts land lose both.

Advantage for VOIP is bundle pricing with uverse products (saving $)
One phone number to call for repairs (POTS repair different number)
One billing statement instead of two.

If you have medical equipment or bracelet monitor issues need POTS
If you have a home alarm system, check with your provider to see if compatible.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

34 of 48 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 9:40:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
To get away from my perspective of number of pairs and more into what impact can a telephone line have on the overall u-verse bill - to follow MTs lead in a little bit different path - With U-verse you have the following choices for telephone service -

None - only downside I see is not taking part in a bundling discount. But, savings in overall price.

POTS - Rate & service & billing same as previous/always. No bundling advantage

U-verse voice - Bundling can provide discount on other services. Choice of two plans - See MTs post & read entire thread for advantages/ disadvantages. A second VOIP line is considerably less than the first.

I think this all started with a concern for the need to buy lines. I may have caused confusion by equating lines to pairs to carry the service. As you can see in the thread the number of pairs is an att issue & not a concern. The number of full telephone lines you opt for should be based on your need for a land line, without concern for how that might affect the quality of your internet service.

I think bundling "savings" are primarily a good sales pitch. They certainly should be considered in the decision process. For me, that process is to look at the bottom line price of one or two or three services. The cost of the second or third service is the difference between the two bottom lines. Not, the regular price. The bundling savings is true savings only if the extra service is "must have".
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

35 of 48 (2,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 10:41:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

worker37 wrote:

Did Cannotfindit ever get his email working in his new laptop?  I have Att DSL and I'm considering signing up for U-verse in hopes my Internet connection will be faster. But I currently have separate phone lines for my home phone and computer DSL connection. I understand with U-Verse a single home phone line is used for both the phone and computer Internet connection - am I correct? If so, should I cancel my second phone line?  And which line should I cancel my home phone line or my DSL line? I couldn't get this answered by ATT. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure I fully follow what you are asking, but let me give you some information that might help you.

A little over 2 years ago I had 2 "land line" (POTS) phone lines in my house, and I had DSL on one of them.  I moved from my original setup to a setup where I had UVerse High Speed Internet and Voice, plus I kept my second POTS line.  I also kept my DSL service for 1 month overlap, but that is a different story.  When I got my UVerse service, they took my one POTS line that was only voice service and brought my VDSL2 service in on that line giving me UVerse Internet and Voice service.  My second line still have its old voice service and DSL attached to it.  After a month os no issues with my UVerse internet, I cancelled my old DSL service, but kept the old POTS line until earlier this year.  Now that line has also been cancelled.

When I made the switch, the math showed that there were only 2 reasons to swtich.  If I wanted to save money, I had to move my voice service from POTS to the UVerse Voice (VOIP).  If I wanted to get faster internet service, I had to switch to UVerse as my DSL line was at the max it could get yet UVerse Internet could get at least twice as fast.  Before I made the switch, I was paying $160/month for 2 phone lines and DSL internet.  After I made teh switch, I was paying about $135/month with 2 phone lines and UVerse internet that was twice as fast as before the switch.  Now that I have cancelled the second phone line, I am only paying about $100/month.  As you can see, by moving the one voice line to UVerse from POTS, I was saving about $25/month, and still getting twice the internet download speeds.

What you cancel depends upon what you want.  If you want to move to UVerse only for speed, you have then replace your DSL with UVerse and you can get up to 45Mbps (depending upon market availability) downlosd speeds.  If you want to try to save money, then you have them bundle your voice and internet into UVerse and replace both existing lines.  You can lso go for a combo to gest some possible savings and still get faster internet by replacing both of your existing services with a UVerse bundle deal.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

36 of 48 (2,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 12:20:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Many thanks to aviewer, my thoughts, GeekBoy for the education on u-verse. I didn't realize the bundled u-verse meant giving up my POTS for VOIP.  I'll have to see if I can justify the expense of keeping my two lines - one for my POTS landline and the other for replacing my DSL service with u-verse.  My u-verse service would be for Internet only - no television (my roof-top antenna is good enough for me).  I'm hoping ATT can let me know how my ATT phone bill will be affected if I sign up for u-verse and keeping my two lines.

37 of 48 (2,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 12:59:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

I did have one more comment. My thoughts mentioned a 3600 or 5031 RG. Is that the ATT gateway?

38 of 48 (2,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 3:30:59 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi worker37,

That is correct, those are 2 different gateways offered for AT&T U-verse services. There are many other ones, and depending on your area and the services you have is the gateway you receive.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

39 of 48 (1,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 6:47:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Nov 20, 2013 at 9:40:41 AM

worker37 - RE: I'm hoping ATT can let me know how my ATT phone bill will be affected if I sign up for u-verse and keeping my two lines.

Unofficial answer - Look at your current DSL/POTS bill for the POTS portion that yo are planning to retain. That is what your tel bill will be. The U-verse internet service bill will be standard price posted under shopping or any temporary promotion you can catch.

For transition keep in mind you pay for the monthly service in advance. So, the final DSL bill should be a partial months (aka prorated) credit for DSL previously charged and the U-verse bill will include a prorated charge for the partial month. Due to different billing cycles, the percentages will probably be different.

[ Edited ]
40 of 48 (1,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 8:34:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

When I switched from DSL to UVerse, the AT&T billing seemed silly to me at the time.  The POTS line is billed on a separate account since that is a separate division of AT&T.  I get 2 monthly bills from AT&T, one for UVerse and one for my POTS line.  In many ways this made it easy for me to keep my DSL service for a month overlapping with my UVerse service because it was billed along with the POTS line, and on the same line pair as the POTS line.  The UVerse signal comes to my house on a dedicated line pair that is only the UVerse Voice and HSI.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

41 of 48 (1,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 11:24:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

aviewer, thanks for the info.

42 of 48 (1,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 11:30:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

GeekBoy, thanks for the info. Does it mean i would have two voice lines: one on my regulars POTS line and another on my UVerse line?  Also, would I be able to have my FAX on the UVerse line?

43 of 48 (1,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 11:34:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You could keep your POTS line and add up to two U-verse voice lines to your U-voice service (you'd still have to pay for all three of them. :smileywink:).

Some fax machines will have issues with U-verse voice, so I won't promise smooth sailing there.

44 of 48 (1,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 11:38:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

JefferMC, thanks for the info

45 of 48 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 12:34:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can anyone give me an explanation why I cannot get one Uverse account for my family/entertainment use and one Uverse account (separate phone number and line) for my home business?  ATT says they cannot do it because it uses the same address.  That is ridiculous.  I am an electrical engineer and I know that a twisted pair can support DSL/Uverse, and that if I get two twisted pairs, I can support two separate connections of equal bandwidth.  Did they forget people trying to support a home business?

46 of 48 (1,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 9:42:17 PM
(0)
Employee
You may only have one residential account per address, but may have a residential and small business account at same address. Requires two separate billing accounts, the business has certain limitations, the biggest is very small window to cancel without expensive Early Termination Fee, and automatically renewal.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/tos/att-tos for DSL small business accounts
http://www.att.com/smallbusiness/popup/termsAndConditions.jsp?skuid=sku341730 for uverse business

Speed tiers for business accounts may be different than what is available for residence..
http://www.att.net/speedtiers

And cost for a small business account may be higher for less service.
http://www.att.com/smallbusiness/internet/internet.jsp
http://www.att.com/smallbusiness/common/productDetails.jsp?skuId=sku2820077

And you are registered as a small business with proper ids.

The above is based on wanting both internet/phones.....

If just desiring a business phone line, need to order POTS (plain old telephone service) instead of Uverse Voip.
Believe cannot order Voip by itself, needs to be bundled, and business Voip just became available at start of 2014, prior all business phones had to be POTS, not Uverse Voip.

47 of 48 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2014 6:58:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, I have already got a second POTS line that I want internet on for the business.  I will call the business 8888940447 and see if they can do it.  I've been frustrated three times already with the regular Uverse number.

Re: Can you have a second DSL/U-verse line?

48 of 48 (1,307 Views)