Posted Jan 18, 2012
10:07:49 PM
Can you have a second DSL line?

We have the Land line - DSL - U-Verse bundle right now; I want to know if it's possible to have a 2nd DSL line installed?

It's just a basic residence; our phone company termination box outside has the standard dual line setup.

But looks like what we're in need of to run our new computer is a 2nd DSL line.

Will we need an additional separate modem then?

Thanks for any info!

Can you have a second DSL line?

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 10:14:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
Why do you think you need a second DSL line for computer #2? There might be a simpler approach if you can elaborate on your setup and needs.

Re: Can you have a second DSL line?

2 of 48 (2,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 4:58:38 AM
(0)
Professor

Cannotfindit wrote:

We have the Land line - DSL - U-Verse bundle right now; I want to know if it's possible to have a 2nd DSL line installed?

It's just a basic residence; our phone company termination box outside has the standard dual line setup.

But looks like what we're in need of to run our new computer is a 2nd DSL line.

Will we need an additional separate modem then?

Thanks for any info!

Little confused here as to what services you have since you cannot have DSL and Uverse at the same time. I have two wired desktops and one wireless laptop all using the one Uverse connection via the RG, don't understand why you think you need a second line.

3 of 48 (2,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 7:25:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

We need ( I want) a 2nd line, because we have a new additional computer we just got; a nice laptop running Windows 7, and for reasons I still do not understand, We are unable to log into our primary email accounts through AT&T home page from that computer - that setup;

Everything else [online] works fine from the laptop .. can get into Google email accts. ... surf the web ...etc., etc.

Spent hours and hours last night on the phone w/tech support trying to get my primary email address(s) working but it rejects our user and/or password(s).

They were unable to correct the problem; but our other computers here at home easily permit access to our email accts ...

I'm thinking my best idea would be to get a 2nd separate DSL line ... I really want the new laptop with Windows 7 to access all of AT&T's features ...

I'm hoping using this approach, I can get my main emails working.

4 of 48 (2,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 8:07:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

There is no reason to get a 2nd DSL line to solve an e-mail problem. The only reason you'd ever need a 2nd DSL line is if you were somehow doing something that kept the first line saturated 24/7. Unless you are providing service to a hotel or large business, that does not seem possible.  Go back and solve your e-mail problem. If you can get to the Internet from the  2nd computer, the login problem is just a login problem.

5 of 48 (2,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 8:40:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Cannotfindit - On your new laptop - clear all cookies & make sure your preferences are set to accept cookies - Then try logging on.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 48 (2,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 1:59:35 PM
(0)
Guru

Cannotfindit wrote:

We need ( I want) a 2nd line, because we have a new additional computer we just got; a nice laptop running Windows 7, and for reasons I still do not understand, We are unable to log into our primary email accounts through AT&T home page from that computer - that setup;

Everything else [online] works fine from the laptop .. can get into Google email accts. ... surf the web ...etc., etc.

Spent hours and hours last night on the phone w/tech support trying to get my primary email address(s) working but it rejects our user and/or password(s).

They were unable to correct the problem; but our other computers here at home easily permit access to our email accts ...

I'm thinking my best idea would be to get a 2nd separate DSL line ... I really want the new laptop with Windows 7 to access all of AT&T's features ...

I'm hoping using this approach, I can get my main emails working.

A second DSL line actually makes no sense.  Do you really want to pay double for internet?  One internet feed is sufficient for multiple computers and internet devices.  You just have to solve your email problem.  You will probably still have the problem even if you were able to get a second line.

7 of 48 (2,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 2:45:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

Okay, thanks everyone for these recommendations; although, as I said, tech support last night was unable to remedy the problem ,,, I should say the only tweak they did to my "tools" folder was to try clearing temp' files ... that did not help.

well, I just had had that hunch that a separate dsl line would be the solution ...

I'll try the cookies thing.

I keep wondering if it's a Windows 7 quirk?

Our Windows Vista desktop gets me into email and on with no problem.

Additionally, I should mention that I can get into my Google email acct with no problem at all.

One tech support helper wondered if I have tried Mozilla or Foxfire (did I get that name right?) yet?

I'm using the default IE version that came with Windows 7.

Any of you suspect it's an IE problem?

Thanks for any [more] tips.

8 of 48 (2,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 3:17:17 PM
(0)
Guru

There is obviously something about your Windows 7 setup that is not correct.  I'm still on Windows XP, so I can't really help you with that.  One suggestion I have is don't use your AT&T email account.  I don't use mine.  I use nothing but gmail.  Are you trying to get into your email from the internet or are you using a program such as Outlook Express?  I'm confident you'll eventually figure it out, but do you really need it?

9 of 48 (2,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 7:55:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

Are you trying to read e-mail via the web interface or POP3 & Outlook Express?

10 of 48 (2,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 8:23:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am trying to read email just on the basic AT&T homepage as I always have.

Works w/o a hitch on this Dell Inspirion desktop computer in front of me (Windows Vista Home Premium) ... works on my wife's smaller Compaq Presario laptop (Windows XP) ... but does not work on my nice HP HDX-18t laptop (Windows 7)

My main account password (to get into U-Verse ... billing ... account management ...etc) DOES work and DOES let me in, but my email addresses (there are several) do NOT work ... error message comes up saying: "name or password does not match our records"

.... hmm, ... tried the cookies and clearing temp folder maneuver ,,, have been trying to identify an appropriate Windows 7 forum to log onto to post questions .... geez, there're a million Windows forums out there ... yikes ...

11 of 48 (2,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 9:01:19 PM
(0)
Guru

Is your caps lock on or something silly such as that?

12 of 48 (2,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 9:39:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

nope, not  CAPS problem ..

w-a-y-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l ... I think I've exhausted all the logical approaches ... and tried everything ... I'm gonna go to "Plan B" now ... see if this works ... thanks greatly for all the helpful suggestions,

Michael

13 of 48 (2,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 5:24:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

Have you tried a different browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox)? I have not experienced this because I don't use the ATT-provided e-mail account.

14 of 48 (2,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 7:15:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

I think I will try a different browser as a last ditch effort ... see if that does the trick ... (why would different browser need to be used on my Windows 7 laptop ... when all my other gear works fine with IE though .......???)

curious dillemma ...

my current workabout is I've contacted Comcast support (I'm not on Comcast or have ever been, but they're in my area) to inquire if they report any problems with Windows 7 computers (with any versions of IE) and if not, can I have a test trial for a few days or whatever ... and if it works okay, I might be considering a switch over .. Isee they also offer the basic bundle as I have now (TV; phone; DSL) ... cost is about the same ... don't know mch about CC though .... ever had it ...

I'll get back to the forum though as soon as I confirm/refute any results regarding email access and connectivity as soon as I can.  

15 of 48 (2,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 9:05:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

Only one other possible other suggestion. Open Notepad and type your password so you can see it. Could it be possible that one of the keys on your laptop is sticking and not registering properly?

16 of 48 (2,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 10:04:33 AM
(0)
Guru

If you're considering switching to Comcast, you obviously don't need your AT&T email account.  Use your gmail and move on.  It's a non-issue.

17 of 48 (2,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 5:00:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

If you're considering switching to Comcast, you obviously don't need your AT&T email account.  Use your gmail and move on.  It's a non-issue.

IMHO, it's best to use a 3rd party e-mail server, anyway. That way if you get a better deal on access somewhere else, you don't have to change anything but your modem.

18 of 48 (2,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 5:23:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

I guess what I should have mentioned is that I absolutely need to keep my handle! Not just that, but I need to keep about 4 different handles that were active before on AT&T [and are still active on other computers] but not on that laptop anymore (but are active on other computers ... as I've explained already).

GMail has already told me the handle(s) I want to use are taken ... or at least two of the 4 that I want to retain are taken ... if the extension changes, that's probably acceptable .. probably have no choice at this point, but I NEED to keep 2 particular handles.

Has to do with multiple contact arrangments ..business ... licenses ...much more ....

Of course I can simply just use GMail ,,, I already am using it .. but I need to have an active USABLE email setup with my original handle .. as I have done for many years now, .... and especially on that new laptop.

well, I'm gonna try the firefox thing ...

19 of 48 (2,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 6:42:42 PM
(0)
Guru

I really don't understand what's going on.  When I log into the AT&T site, I have to use my AT&T user id and password to get in.  That is my AT&T email address.  Once I long into the AT&T site, I just click on email.  I don't have to enter my user name or password at that point.

20 of 48 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 7:10:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Cannotfindit - Another thing you can try - instead of logging in directly click the change password button & see if you can get in through that path. Although, I believe you will need to have preset a different e-mail to receive a temporary password.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 48 (2,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 6:22:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've tried:

signing up a new email address .. and inputting the one that I have been unable to access; it then tells me that the name is taken ... okay, but then I try inputting that user name and clicking: "I FORGOT MY PASSWORD" .. and it then tells me "THE USER NAME YOU TYPED IN IS NOT A VALID USER."

SAY WHAT????

okay, ... right about now, I'm expecting Rod Serling to be standing in my hallway, ... suit jacket ... black tie ... with a Marlboro

" submit it for your approval ... an otherwise normal AT&T user has just lost his identity and entered the Twilight Zone ..."

I checked with my tech support guy who works on all our computers and networks ,, I told him I will pay him $$$ for his time if he would please clear up the problem .. however, even he warns that it's not really in his ballywick to straighten this kind of thing out. and AT&T's tech support ought to be able to ... hmm, ...

pullllleeeeze, cam someone advise me on how to go into my normal email acct (that I can easily do on every other computer) but not on my new HP HDX 18T laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium and IE 9.0

22 of 48 (2,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 7:08:31 PM
(0)
Guru

Can you log into your AT&T U-Verse account and see your bills and profile and all that stuff?  Is there a button there to press for email?  What happens when you click on it?

23 of 48 (2,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 8:04:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, I can log in with my AT&T U-Verse master account user & psswrd ... so far, so good .. I use that for billing and stuff;

But the email address I have always used for email (for many many years now) is not usable from this computer

In fact, none of the other emails I have (sub accounts) are usable from this computer - what gives?

24 of 48 (2,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 8:28:04 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jimgfitzgerald on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:31:14 PM

BUT, after you are logged into the AT&T user account page, you should be able to click on a link to your email WITHOUT needing an email account name and password.  What happens when you do that?

ALSO, you should have gotten a new AT&T Yahoo email account when you established your U-Verse account.  You aren't trying to get into some old account before you got U-Verse are you?

[ Edited ]
25 of 48 (2,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 9:00:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

When I got U-Verse and the whole bundle thing (little over a year ago) the tech guy came to the house ... set it up ... explained that I will now have a new [additional] *****@att.net identification. That this was my master account user name and password. Use for billing and account changes etc., etc. But I should have no difficulty retaining use of my original *****@att.net email address(s) that I had estabished for many years,

Okay, sounded good to me ..

tried it out .. and worked fine ...

I have my AT&T master acct/psswrd ,,, I can (and do) even use that for [some] emailing.

But of paramount importance is that my original AT&T emails user/psswrd remain active and usable.

On any of my computers (or when I travel, it IS THE EMAIL IS HAVE ALWAYS USED and works fine.

Fast forward to about a week ago, I bring home my new HP HDX 18T laptop ... set up everything ...all's fine except it will NOT LET me into my email with my old original email address / psswrd!!!

But my other computers at home DO LET ME IN ... Yike, can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Michael

26 of 48 (2,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 9:42:34 PM
(0)
Guru

So, are you able to get into your "new" U-Verse @att.net email account with all of your computers, new and old?

27 of 48 (2,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 9:50:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, as I've explained in earlier posts in this thread, I can -  from any computer -  log on and get into my AT&T master account; fine no problem.

While that's nice, What it is that I really need is to get into and access my regular user email address - which is not master account user email identiy - from my new laptop.

Reason being::: I have (and have had for a long time) many accounts ;; licenses ... regristrations etc., etc., etc set up using my old original email address

When I try to log in with my old user/psswrd on the new laptop, it tells me: "There is no match to that user/passwrd"

But I can from my other computers.

28 of 48 (2,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 6:11:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

Did Cannotfindit ever get his email working in his new laptop?  I have Att DSL and I'm considering signing up for U-verse in hopes my Internet connection will be faster. But I currently have separate phone lines for my home phone and computer DSL connection. I understand with U-Verse a single home phone line is used for both the phone and computer Internet connection - am I correct? If so, should I cancel my second phone line?  And which line should I cancel my home phone line or my DSL line? I couldn't get this answered by ATT. Any advice would be appreciated.

29 of 48 (1,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 6:34:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Oct 28, 2013 at 6:36:53 PM

worker37 - I believe, u-verse may be on a phone line or not depending on what is needed. I had two POTS lines & U-verse was installed on one of them. I disconnected the POTS that I understood U-verse was on& U-verse remained on that pair.

I have seen postings of U-verse installed on the same Line as POTS & needed to be moved to it's own pair.

Of course, you can always get two u-verse voice lines. The second one is less expensive.

Then, there is pair bonding - Where you are so far from the VRAD that you need two pairs for U-verse.

Most houses have two pair available. I think they would sell you as many as are available. Everything depends on what is available. You do not need to take any action - canceling. You may have to compromise on the new setup - Depends on what is available.

You cannot have both U-verse and DSL. If it is att U-verse, they will cancel coincidentally. If another provider, they need to see a clean line before you can get U-verse. 

[ Edited ]
30 of 48 (1,515 Views)