Can't set up ATT email account for iMail Nor can I set up my ATT account

Teacher

Can't set up ATT email account for iMail Nor can I set up my ATT account

Went through iMail preferences, did all the stuff on the tutorial and I get an error message. Also, every time I try to set up my ATT account I'm told it's not recognized. What the heck this is the most complicated process I've ever been through.

Message 1 of 8 (329 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Can't set up ATT email account for iMail Nor can I set up my ATT account

See this support webpage:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

Personally I just forward my ATT/Yahoo email to my gmail account and have no problems there.

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (315 Views)
Teacher

Thanks Chris none of that is working for me and I really need my email to come through to iMail app instead of doing some webmail thing. 

Message 3 of 8 (311 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

I really cannot help you because mine just worked. Here are the entries I used -

E-mail address - full e-mail address

Imcoming mail server - imap.mail.yahoo.com

User name - full e-mail address

Password - Password

Outgoing mail server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com:full e-mail address

Do you have an apple mail account that works with imail? go to settings in Yahoo via the web & forward your mail to the apple mail acct.

I see you do not want to use want to use web access. Neither do I. BUt, I think you may have to log in once via the web to allow the imail to work. Crazy, but that is what some posts say,

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8 (306 Views)
Teacher

Thanks I finally got it to work. NOW I am unable to send to multiple addresses to inform my contacts of my new email address. I can send an individual email but not to several addresses. What the heck is up with that?

Message 5 of 8 (297 Views)
ACE - Expert

If this is a new account, you really should not use it for general purposes, You need to open a gmail account or an apple account or another free account. Then you will not need to change if you change ISP.

That is what Chris suggested. That is what I do.

As far as multiples I do it all the time, but I use gmail. I thought there ws a suggestion that you need to build a group. But, I do not even see that.

Message 6 of 8 (288 Views)
Teacher

I'm sorry that makes no sense. You shouldn't use your email account for email? What's the point of having an email account then? I don't want a gmail account I hate gmail. I want to use my Apple iMail app. I've been using that for 15 years and never had a problem. If AT&T email isn't supposed to be used for general purposes then it's completely pointless!

Message 7 of 8 (286 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

It is all about choice & there are two levels of choices, The first choice is who provides the service(account) & the second is how do we access that service. As with everything else there are advantages & disadvatages to every option. Finally, it does not hurt to have more than one e-mail account.

We can get the e-mail service from many providers identified by the e-mail address - Many variations of att.com, yahoo.com, gmail.com, me.com (Apple) & many others, Each have their own advantages & disadvantages. Pick a couple you like. If any one is not working for you there are any number of others that will.

Instead of accessing the account via a web browser, there are many programs or apps to do that - Outlook is one. I use Macmail on my macmini and ipad, you use imail (on your iphone?). One of the many advantages of these products is the ability to manage many e-mail accounts(servers). I have six accounts set up across different providers.

There is a saying - You pay your money & you make your choice. In this case, you do not have to pay, just choose the one you like & works for you.

It s not - AT&T email isn't supposed to be used for general purposes - It is just that I (& others) choose other alternatives because we like them better. If att is not working for you, pick one that does & set it up on your imail.

Message 8 of 8 (256 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.