Can make and recieve calls, but can not dial toll free numbers

Teacher

Can make and recieve calls, but can not dial toll free numbers

This is a weird one, I can call friends cell phone, I can call other people. I try to call a buisness or something with a toll free number and I get silence on the phone.

What to do would call AT&T but thats a toll free number, have not actually tried their number but the other 3 I have tried have ended in the silence. 

Message 1 of 15 (980 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Can make and recieve calls, but can not dial toll free numbers

If you want to share.....post the number (if a business) and someone can try it and see what they get.  Also maybe try dialing the number and then the "#" key.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (971 Views)
ACE - Expert

davhamm - This is new service or worked previously??
It is only toll free?? Other paid calls work OK??
Perhaps there is a failure in the toll free routing for your line.
U-verse has a block on international option. Maybe make sure that is not set on your acct.
Some phones have a toll call block option.
You can report trouble via your acct on the web.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15 (964 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

***** (costco concierge) or ***** (act registration) or *****(American express)

[Edited to comply with Guidelines - please do not post phone numbers other than approved AT&T numbers]

Message 4 of 15 (965 Views)
ACE - Expert

all three ring for me after dialing 1- number
Message 5 of 15 (963 Views)
Teacher

Wife, thought she has paid Amex bill on phone before but looking at the call log it doesn't show, probably used my work cell, as she often just picks that up and calls. 

have the 250 call plan, if that matters. 

Message 6 of 15 (962 Views)
ACE - Master

Works fine for me too!!

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Message 7 of 15 (959 Views)
ACE - Expert

davhamm - Should not matter, I notice you did not include dialing one & I did. Saying cell phone is common use - it does not need one. Have you tried dialing 1- number??
Message 8 of 15 (957 Views)
Teacher

yes tried with 1 without 1, predial then connect, connect get dial tone then dial. all result in the same silence. 

Message 9 of 15 (956 Views)
ACE - Master

Dial the number then press the "#" key.  What happens?

Message 10 of 15 (950 Views)
Teacher

Tried with # at end still nothing. Called a person's cell and it still works. 

Message 11 of 15 (931 Views)
ACE - Expert

davhamm - Looks like the link in the office that translates the 800 number to a real number is broken. You need to report it, either via the cell phone or the web.
Message 12 of 15 (929 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Did a live web chat, they reset my gateway twice, no change. They talked to level 2 who said there was nothing else they could do, so they are sending out a ser ice tech on Monday. Not sure what that will do since I can call some numbers. 

Oh they had me hook a phone up directly to the gateway, didn't do anything different. 

Message 13 of 15 (902 Views)
Teacher

Service tech came out today, very friendly and nice. 

Turns out, you could not hear anything over my phone. When I tried calling someone, it was someone in the room and did not notice you couldnt hear over the phone (of course now my daughter tells me oh yeah when I called a friend I could not hear them but they could hear me...doh). 

So bad RG. Had one on the truck, swapped it out. bam back in business. 

Thanks everyone for thier help. 

Message 14 of 15 (858 Views)
Community Manager

Thank you for the update davhamm! I'm glad to see that everything is fine now. Please feel free to come back anytime you have a question or need help.

Happy Holidays!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 15 (839 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.