Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 22, 2013
4:40:13 PM
View profile
Can i move my 2wire modem to another room?

Right now we have 3 DVR boxes. One up Stairs, one in our living room, and one in our bedroom. The one thats in our bedroom is bigger and wider than the other boxes and it also has our internet modem connected to it. What i want to do is disconnect the modem from the box and bove the modem upstairs so that we can connect it to our game console up stairs. Can i do this without messing anything up? We want the modem upstairs connected to the game system but we want to keep the dvr downstairs. HELP!!!!

Right now we have 3 DVR boxes. One up Stairs, one in our living room, and one in our bedroom. The one thats in our bedroom is bigger and wider than the other boxes and it also has our internet modem connected to it. What i want to do is disconnect the modem from the box and bove the modem upstairs so that we can connect it to our game console up stairs. Can i do this without messing anything up? We want the modem upstairs connected to the game system but we want to keep the dvr downstairs. HELP!!!!

Can i move my 2wire modem to another room?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 4:55:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
evansumlin - It is possible, but complicated. Also, may not be necessary.
First choice is - Is the upstairs box connected coax. If yes, then use a cat5 cable between it and the game system.
Second choice - How about wireless for the game system??
To move the modem - How is the modem connected to the NID?? Is there a diplexer?? How are the three STBs connected (COAX or cat5)??
evansumlin - It is possible, but complicated. Also, may not be necessary.
First choice is - Is the upstairs box connected coax. If yes, then use a cat5 cable between it and the game system.
Second choice - How about wireless for the game system??
To move the modem - How is the modem connected to the NID?? Is there a diplexer?? How are the three STBs connected (COAX or cat5)??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can i move my 2wire modem to another room?

2 of 5 (2,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 5:23:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
The room up stairs where the Xbox is, is not the same room the cable box is. Also the modem downstairs is connected to a cable cord from the wall. And then another cord from the modem is connect to the DVR box. But all I want to do is take the internet modem and move it upstairs without messing anything up. And the room that I want to put the modem in doesn't have the wall cable outlet I need.

Sent from my iPhone
The room up stairs where the Xbox is, is not the same room the cable box is. Also the modem downstairs is connected to a cable cord from the wall. And then another cord from the modem is connect to the DVR box. But all I want to do is take the internet modem and move it upstairs without messing anything up. And the room that I want to put the modem in doesn't have the wall cable outlet I need.

Sent from my iPhone

3 of 5 (2,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 5:39:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
evansumlin - If the room does not have wires, you will need to run new ones. Probably too complicated to do on your own.

if you cannot connect from one room to the next with a wire the best option is wireless.

If the xbox does not have wireless, get one of these & plug the xbox into it - http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...

If your wireless signal is not strong enough for a wireless x-box the unit can be placed in an intermediate location to reach the x-box with wireless.
evansumlin - If the room does not have wires, you will need to run new ones. Probably too complicated to do on your own.

if you cannot connect from one room to the next with a wire the best option is wireless.

If the xbox does not have wireless, get one of these & plug the xbox into it - http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufacturer=&q_model

If your wireless signal is not strong enough for a wireless x-box the unit can be placed in an intermediate location to reach the x-box with wireless.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (2,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 7:30:04 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Dec 22, 2013 at 7:34:34 PM

Basically recommend tech visit, $99 service call, $55 per wire run.
Wire 1....NID to new RG location, cat5, new jack wall plate or biscuit
Wire 2... RG to DVR, either Ethernet preferred or coax.

How are other two tvs connected, if wireless, then WAP goes with RG.
If coax need a 3rd wire from RG to coax splitter.
If Ethernet from DVR can add gigabit switch by DVR for about $60...
Example of switch. http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950269

So possible billing, service call ($99), homerun ($55), feed to DVR $55, switch $52 total $261.
If need wireless receivers add $49 per receiver.

be aware this will be listed as a move request, may be charged DOD (dispatch on demand) fee $149 instead of $99 service call.

Basically recommend tech visit, $99 service call, $55 per wire run.
Wire 1....NID to new RG location, cat5, new jack wall plate or biscuit
Wire 2... RG to DVR, either Ethernet preferred or coax.

How are other two tvs connected, if wireless, then WAP goes with RG.
If coax need a 3rd wire from RG to coax splitter.
If Ethernet from DVR can add gigabit switch by DVR for about $60...
Example of switch. http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950269

So possible billing, service call ($99), homerun ($55), feed to DVR $55, switch $52 total $261.
If need wireless receivers add $49 per receiver.

be aware this will be listed as a move request, may be charged DOD (dispatch on demand) fee $149 instead of $99 service call.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (2,447 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments