Can anyone tell me WHY my TV ALWAYS goes to that stupid click OK to view1?

Tutor

Can anyone tell me WHY my TV ALWAYS goes to that stupid click OK to view1?

I must say the day I went to AT&T U verse was the beginning of a terrible upcoming year!

First, the phone, Can NOT tell AT&T to answer after say 6 rings!  STUPID!

Second:  AM watching a terrific program when suddenly it goes to CLICK OK stupid screen!  I MISS what was said while that idiotic screen came on and I clicked to view again my program!  HOW UTTERLY STUPID!

AND I signed up for HD as part of the promotion, HA! Can NOT get 1 HD channel tos come in without adding MORE services to myt bill!  BAIT AND SWITCH going on here?

Message 1 of 20 (1,371 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Can anyone tell me WHY my TV ALWAYS goes to that stupid click OK to view1?

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what service you actually have, but it doesn't sound like you have AT&T U-verse:

1. If you have U-verse voice, you can set the number of rings to between 1 and 6 before it goes to voicemail.

2. What you decribe should only happen if there has been no interaction with the U-verse receiver for 8 hours.

3. If you pay the $10 HD technology fee, you will receive the HD channels in your subcribed package (U200, U300, U450, etc.)

Message 2 of 20 (1,369 Views)
Tutor

Texasguy's response for your first issue should be correct.  You might find it easier to set your telephone and voicemail settings if you go to att.com/myuverse and login to your account to get to a web interface.

I find him to be a bit trite regading your second issue.  Of course it's not SUPPOSED to behave the way it is.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't.

I don't know enough about how they offer HD.

I can tell you I've also had more frustrations than I ever imagined since signing up for U-Verse.  Keep in mind you can cancel your service within the first 30 days before you're committed to your plan.  If they can't provide the service they promised me by the end of mine, I plan to return to Comcast.

Message 3 of 20 (1,213 Views)
Expert

dff1 wrote:

I find him to be a bit trite regading your second issue.  Of course it's not SUPPOSED to behave the way it is.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't.

My response is not "trite".  The system is designed and is "supposed" to work that way.  Thus, it works as designed.  Whether you think it should or should not be designed that way is a different discussion.

Message 4 of 20 (1,210 Views)
ACE - Expert

This is forum "discussion" at its worst. It starts with Cofins4Terorists yelling a rant without asking for any kind of help. TGs response was kind of terse, but it was a lot better than mine. I read the OP & ran the other way. At least he gave it a try to begin a path to resolution.

Where did Cofins4Terorists go? Probably just as well. I did not see a question in the OP.

As far as the issues go -

Yeah, the rings can be set to 6 & the web access is a great suggestion.

Yeah, the STB does go to sleep and display the press OK after something like eight hours of activity. Is that a really good design? No, but that is the way it is. If it happens sooner, it is broken & the STB should be replaced. If it is that long, that is a long time without changing a channel. It is easily prevented by a channel up/down with each meal.

Yeah, there is a charge for HD. Always have to apply bottom line price for comparing providers. In this case, the only way I see to get a single HD channel that is not scrambled for free on cable is if you have a digital quam tuner in a TV and capture it off the line. This is not possible with U_verse. An STB is required for all reception, which means you have follow what the service provides. Or, there is some misunderstanding about how to get the HD that could be explained and resolved or something is not working & needs to be fixed. Or .... ---

All these need discussion and understanding. Almost any OP does not contain enough info. It requires some back & forth discussion (without quotes).

Lets try to focus on the technical issues by exploring them.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 20 (1,176 Views)
Tutor

Unless you've convinced yourself that he had not sent a signal from the remote to the receiver in eight hours the system did not behave as it is SUPPOSED to.  I doubt he would have complained if this happened to him only once and under those circumstances (though I'll grant, that's possible).  I do find it trite when someone has a legitimate complaint to respond with a simple, "Well, that's how it's supposed to work." 

"Hey I bought a new car, but now instead of using a key fob, I have to use this giant crank to get it started."

"That's how it's supposed to work."

Message 6 of 20 (1,173 Views)
ACE - Expert

dff1 - I am not convinced that no IR was activated. I included the possibility that the STB is defective.

I agree that the TG response was inadequate, but admit that it was better than my non-response.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 20 (1,164 Views)
ACE - Master

FYI:  The OP posted about the same issues on another thread and ATT Customer care responded that they had contacted him/her.

Nothing to see here...move along.....

Message 8 of 20 (1,154 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

aviewer wrote:
This is forum "discussion" at its worst. It starts with Cofins4Terorists yelling a rant without asking for any kind of help. TGs response was kind of terse, but it was a lot better than mine. 

Terse?  Explaining how something works is terse?  What has happened to this forum?

Message 9 of 20 (1,150 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

aviewer wrote:

I agree that the TG response was inadequate, but admit that it was better than my non-response.

Inadequate?  Compared to what?  Has the fourm now become a place where people volunteer their time to help others only to judged by other members as to the quality of their response?

Message 10 of 20 (1,146 Views)
ACE - Expert

TG - Be good to include possibility of defective STB if it shut off early & how to prevent shutdown by sending an activity. Lets not forget where this all started. Perhaps the best response to the OP was no response.
Message 11 of 20 (1,134 Views)
Expert

skeeterintexas wrote:

FYI:  The OP posted about the same issues on another thread and ATT Customer care responded that they had contacted him/her.

Nothing to see here...move along.....

I agree.  I'm done.

Message 12 of 20 (1,125 Views)

dff1 wrote:

Texasguy's response for your first issue should be correct.  You might find it easier to set your telephone and voicemail settings if you go to att.com/myuverse and login to your account to get to a web interface.

I don't know enough about how they offer HD.

I can tell you I've also had more frustrations than I ever imagined since signing up for U-Verse.  Keep in mind you can cancel your service within the first 30 days before you're committed to your plan.  If they can't provide the service they promised me by the end of mine, I plan to return to Comcast.

There was nothing "trite" about TG's response.  When you deal with as many rants and complaining posts without asking for help or even doing a little research, incorrect statements get to be old.  The OP did not ask for help did not ask for possible solutions, all they did was come in and complain and make wrong accusations. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 13 of 20 (1,065 Views)
Scholar

So much churn over this poster.

Bottom line is the second thing he talks about happened to me for a while..likely after an update.

I would be watching a channel and all of a sudden the click OK bar would appear over it and you'd have to do something to get rid of it.

This went on for a couple of weeks and after many reboots and possibly another update it stopped. So, you really shouldn't jump a guy who's having problems because you DON'T know all the little quirks that go on with these boxes.

Now, all of a sudden, when I have too many streams going, it just goes to black..no more interrupt a TV or select a recording.

Just saying...I have seen alot of these things in 5 years

Message 14 of 20 (988 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

beatfan4 - The original post said the "press OK" screen, which normally comes on automatically only after eight hours. Your post says the OK bar. This is a different issue. I think this one had quieted down & was forgotten. We probably should have realized the possibility.

The bar problem & the black screen problem were never resolved, just seemed to go away. Although, I believe there was a post about the black screen the other day.

I believe the best workaround for the black screen has been to record the channel and watch the recording on short delay.

One thing you can do to maximize your operation is to do a whole house reboot - 

Pull the power plugs on RG, DVR, STBs, WAPs

Restore RG - wait for all green

Restore DVR - wait for channel viewing

Restore STVs/ WAPs

This may or may not help.

Message 15 of 20 (974 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.