Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 20, 2014
11:28:18 PM
Can an Ethernet Line substitute a Coaxial Cable Input for a Uverse receiver?

Hi!

I'm trying to put a TV in a room where my house cut off the Coaxial Connection to, and the room next to it has Ethernet ports that are connected to my AT&T Router. Since Ethernet is much more easier for me to handle than Coaxial (Flexability around walls), is there a way to link/connect a Uverse reciever with Ethernet? 

(Purchasing a wireless reciever is not in my budget right now.)

If so, here's my problem:

Let's say the room with the Router is room A. The room with the Ethernet connection is room B. And the room that I want to connect the cable box to is room C.

Room B is not directly connected to the router. It's connected via a powerline adapter in Room A with brings the signal of the Ethernet to Room B. Room B then takes the ethernet from the powerline adapter and goes into a Ethernet Switch. From the switch is where I want to connect Room C to the cable box system. 

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Hi!

I'm trying to put a TV in a room where my house cut off the Coaxial Connection to, and the room next to it has Ethernet ports that are connected to my AT&T Router. Since Ethernet is much more easier for me to handle than Coaxial (Flexability around walls), is there a way to link/connect a Uverse reciever with Ethernet? 

(Purchasing a wireless reciever is not in my budget right now.)

If so, here's my problem:

Let's say the room with the Router is room A. The room with the Ethernet connection is room B. And the room that I want to connect the cable box to is room C.

Room B is not directly connected to the router. It's connected via a powerline adapter in Room A with brings the signal of the Ethernet to Room B. Room B then takes the ethernet from the powerline adapter and goes into a Ethernet Switch. From the switch is where I want to connect Room C to the cable box system. 

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Can an Ethernet Line substitute a Coaxial Cable Input for a Uverse receiver?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 4:18:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
BartMaster1234 - You can connect a U-verse STB to the RG via ethernet cable. But, it sounds like you want to introduce complications that will prevent it from working.

You say it is "easy" to add the cat 5 connection in both rooms B & C. What is blocking that same availability in room A. Make a direct connection from the RG to the STB. If you add more ports with a switch or router, do not mix TV and internet on the same leg.

Monoptice.com is a good source of cat4 cable.
BartMaster1234 - You can connect a U-verse STB to the RG via ethernet cable. But, it sounds like you want to introduce complications that will prevent it from working.

You say it is "easy" to add the cat 5 connection in both rooms B & C. What is blocking that same availability in room A. Make a direct connection from the RG to the STB. If you add more ports with a switch or router, do not mix TV and internet on the same leg.

Monoptice.com is a good source of cat4 cable.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can an Ethernet Line substitute a Coaxial Cable Input for a Uverse receiver?

2 of 4 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 7:01:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

Room A is significantly further away than room B. Room B is about 10 feet away, while Room A is 30-40 feet away. If I run it from Room B, I would use significantly less ethernet cable, plus it's easier to conceal.

Room A is significantly further away than room B. Room B is about 10 feet away, while Room A is 30-40 feet away. If I run it from Room B, I would use significantly less ethernet cable, plus it's easier to conceal.

Re: Can an Ethernet Line substitute a Coaxial Cable Input for a Uverse receiver?

3 of 4 (309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 7:27:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 21, 2014 at 7:40:14 AM

BartMaster1234 - A 50 ft cable is 6.17 at monoprice.com.

You can always try what you want to do. If you are mixing TV and internet on the same switch, be prepared for flooding the switch.

BartMaster1234 - A 50 ft cable is 6.17 at monoprice.com.

You can always try what you want to do. If you are mixing TV and internet on the same switch, be prepared for flooding the switch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (303 Views)