Can I upgrade to pair bonding to improve max sync rate?

Explorer

Can I upgrade to pair bonding to improve max sync rate?

I have been a uVerse customer for threeyears.  I am on the 19M profile with a max sync rate of about 22-23M, due to the distance to the VRAD.  At one point I was told that they were only using pair bonding for people who couldnt get uverse at all without it.  I'm wondering if I can request pair bonding now to improve my sync rate and move to a higher profile.

i don't have any problems with my existing TV or 10Mb Internet, but I would like more than 2 HD streams at once.

Any suggestions on how i should proceed with this?

Message 1 of 7
Employee

Re: Can I upgrade to pair bonding to improve max sync rate?

Dwelling?....single family, apartment, condo? Type of homerun ....cat5, cat3, quad, coax?

Three years ago, inid were just being released as bonded pair install (late 2010), their profile was and basically still is 25M with 3 HD/1 SD for tv service and max internet speed of 18 M.
Bonding (2) 22-23 M lines would yield about 45 max sync rate,best would still be 25M profile as i doubt the 32 down/ 5 up would be supported due to low upstream.
This would most likely be accomplished using the new 589 RG instead of inid install.
Both bonded installs have potentially the same issue at your distance and line quality....that if either line drops you are dead, OOS. On some inid installs say at 29 M bonded for 58, if a line drops might still have service (need 25, have 28 or 29), would have freezing, pixel, possible drops with bad SN but a chance might work.
With your current line stats either line goes south, no service whatsoever (need 25 have 22 game over)
Just food for thought before procuring bonded pair for one more HD stream.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7
Teacher

This reply brings up an interesting point, if I'm reading it correctly (I am new to DSL) in that if the line goes below the profile you are OOS, I assume this is because your SNMargin becomes too low?

However, If I was in the OP's postion I wouldn't even have this service if all I could get was 2HD streams, I'm not overly thrilled about the options with a 24Meg profile so I'm happy that I quilified for a 32 since if I knew that only having 3HD streams when I have 3 HD TVs was a possibility I may not have even signed up.

As a result, the extra risk of a line going out because I have two would be worth it for me. As it is if my one line goes out I'm OOS, so the extra probability of a line failure is obviously higher it should still be low. For me that risk would be worth it, but as I said I wouldn't purchase this service if I could only get a 19M profile.

Message 3 of 7
Employee

Without knowing specific details one has to take a generally position.
If on an dsl line with a maximum internet speed of 3M, the option of getting uverse 2 HD/2SD with 12M is appealing on a 19M profile (due to distance the best they could get)

OP in an MDU that does not allow dish or direct tv, or a single family with neighbors trees blocking signal.

Possible OP only choice is ATTor OP prefers ATT over other options (TW or CC)
If not serviced by another provider and only other option maybe 4G with low caps (no tv) can understand OP position, but if able to be on 32M profile with better internet and tv options plus ability to choose among several providers your statements of not being satisfied with less than you have is also understandable but does not consider the OP choices.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7
Explorer

Single Family house.  STB's are all connected with Cat 5.

If I understand what you you are saying, with a bonded pair I run the risk of no service if either one of the lines has an issue.  RIght now my line has a rock solid 22-23MB max user rate.  I check it regularly, and I have never seen it less than this.  Knock on wood, I have never really had any outages during the time I have had uVerse.

Refresh my memory - with a 25MB profile, how many HD streams would I get?  I currently have the 10MB Internet package. 

If I decided I want to investigate this further, who would I contact about this?

Message 5 of 7
Employee

Which RG do you have, i believe the 3801, correct?
You have the proper understanding, your profile + 20% is needed to provide reliable service.
19 +20% is basically your current 22-23M raw data, with high SN should run fine.
Now for 25M bonded install, need 29- 30M minimum for same reliable service.
As neither line by itself could support that profile an issue on either line would be OOS.
The 25M profile would support 1 more HD stream, but total streams would still be four.

Currently to move from a single pair to bonded would be $99 upgrade charge.
Need to call tier support 1-800-288-2020 for further details and availability.
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
N/A

If your VRAD has a K-card, then swapping to that(assuming you aren't already on one) would boost your max significantly so that if you did move to bonded 25/2 it could run on one pair if necessary. 

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support