Can I move our U-Verse setup (tv, modem, DVR) to another room?

Can I move our U-Verse setup (tv, modem, DVR) to another room?

Hi, my U-verse setup is in the corner of my livingroom right now; That includes a modem; a DVR, and our flat panel tv. We need to relocate it all to another room, down the hallway about 20 feet away. I looked at the jack(s) and I see there's a thick(er) green data cable from the wall jack to the modem; as well as a standard phone cable (lightish gray) also going to the modem. What do I need to do? just unplug everything and somehow get long extension cables to these two lines and run it to the equipment in the new location?

There is already a regular phone jack in the new location (we have nothing plugged in there presently) but that's just for a phone connection.

What kind of extension cable should I use for that green data cable? Is it the same as a DSL cable? (I think I have one of those laying around here somewhere, but mine is blue .. if that means anything ..)

Thanks greatly for any help - Michael

Message 1 of 15 (16,607 Views)

Re: Can I move our U-Verse setup (tv, modem, DVR) to another room?

Well, upon closer look, I see both plugs are RJ11 from the jack AT&T installed for our U-Verse system.

So can I simply run a long RJ11 extension (two) from both jacks to the equpiment in the new location down the hall?

Message 2 of 15 (16,593 Views)
Employee

Yes you may, a tripping hazard unless stapling wires to baseboards.

Apartment, condo, house? Access to basement or attic to run new hires if permanent location?

Truthfully I would recommend a call to tier support and ask for a tech dispatch to move equipment,this is a billable charge.
But compared to your plans if you own the living space do it right, if renting and moving in near future save the money.

Reason for hiding wiring
1) no trip hazard (safety), 2) no unsightly wires 3) if pets no concern of chewing on wires (yes I had cx with cat who chewed thru data cable)

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 15 (16,579 Views)

Thanks, yes it's our house we own ... running up over through the attic is easy .. I've already done that with other computer cables, phone lines, and romex.

Well, it's a temporary situation (~ 4-6 months or so)

Message 4 of 15 (16,547 Views)

Aw man .... well, I went out and bought two long phone extension cords (RJ11 plugs; each end); went into the jack and then into the proper ports on the modem; moved everything all the way down the hall, but service could not boot up ... waited and waited .... lost home phone; internet; U-verse (which is all bundled). I then decided to put everything back as was; finally got it all back on; I am asking: is the green "data cable" not compatible with a standard phone RJ11 plug cable?

It is it a different cabel (even though the plug is the same)?

Thanks for any help, Michael

Message 5 of 15 (16,532 Views)
ACE - Expert

Cannotfindit - Did you do it all at once?? Are the cables the same Did you reverse the connections??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 15 (16,529 Views)

1.   Yes, I did it all at once;

2.   That is what I am inquiring: are the two cables I am attempting to extend the "same"? one is a light gray standard RJ11 looking phone cable .. the other is a thicker green cable with a tag on it that says: "DATA CABLE" .. but it has the same RJ11 plug.

3.   No, I did not reverse any connection(s).

Message 7 of 15 (16,527 Views)
ACE - Expert

Cannotfindit - Cannot tell if the cable is not adequate for the length. Mostly suggesting the possibility of reversing the connections from what they should be.
I guess you have the cable run. If not, you could try the length while leaving the box at the old location & unplug/plug one at a time.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 15 (16,508 Views)

thanks much for the reply;

Yeah I was wondering about the length as well .. I read that there's some issues wtih a longer cable; I am using a 50' extension (two cabes, of course) ... the new location is about 25-30 feet away ...

aw man .. maybe it's the length issue ... no hope then I suppose ... bummer

Message 9 of 15 (16,504 Views)

Well, it's the cable incompatibility after much experimenting; the standard cable I am trying to use "works" but is not compatible to replace the green existing one; which is a "Category 5 green Data Cable"

I'll search around ...see if something's out there available ,,,

anyhow, thats the problem

Message 10 of 15 (16,480 Views)
ACE - Expert

You need to use twisted pair cabling to replace the green cable. Cat 5 is a good idea. Finding it with RJ11 ends is a trick (since technically you can't certify a cable with RJ11 ends as Cat 5, but the cable needs to meet the other requirements such as twist rate and untwisted length at the connectors).

This cable caries the VDSL2 signal to your RG. The other cable is backfeeding your dialtone to your phone jacks around the house).
Message 11 of 15 (16,462 Views)
Employee

For your temp solution, if not rewiring
Recommend purchase if 50 ft Ethernet cable, cut off both ends
Cut the green data cable in half, connect blue pair from green to blue pair of Ethernet on both sides
Tape your splices, plug and go

Of course will need to reverse or acquire new data cable in six months.

Could also cut ends off Ethernet cable and install new RJ11 ends without having to use green data cable.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 15 (16,435 Views)
ACE - Expert

Cutting the green cable sounds like a good idea, but I was still searching for a plug and play option. There does not seem to be any converters - different ended wires or through connectors. But, there actually is a hidden converter - An RJ-45 jack accepts an RJ-11 plug with a solid connection click.

How about an RJ-45 through connector at each end with a long cat5 cable between the two & a short RI-11 at each end?

Doesn't the RG accept an RJ-45? So, only one is needed to match the wall connection.

Here is a link to amazon that mentions monoprice.com - You can but from them direct. Also, another site I saw.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rj-45%20coupler&spr...

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/network-phone/phone-adaptors/product-mc-8p8c-st.php
Message 13 of 15 (16,427 Views)
ACE - Expert

The data jack on my 3800 is a RJ11.  I doubt it's unique.

I cannot find anyone offering Twisted Pair cable with RJ11 ends.

Kmart shows this:

http://www.kmart.com/c2g-50ft-rj11-high-speed-internet-modem-cable/p-020V005214423000P

but the picture has RJ45 ends, so I wouldn't buy this without the option to return.

Belkin has this cable on their website:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F3L900

But they're out of stock.

Message 14 of 15 (16,423 Views)

I found the solution:

Radio Shack had a data/modem cable (Cat5) with both plugs were RJ14; which are physically the same as RJ11, but have 2 extra wires; I tested the cable in the setup and it works fine. It's longer than the green one I am trying to extend, so it'll work. Thanks for all the many comments and helpful advice!

Message 15 of 15 (16,392 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.