Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 5, 2013
1:09:48 AM
Can I have AT&T move my NID down from Roof's Gable to an easier accessible location.

I currently have U-verse TV/Internet bundle. I want to install more Cat5e runs and a hub for wired connectivity and also wish to change my gateway location. Currently the NID is up at the Gable's peak of my single story home, it's obviously there to accommodate the incoming wire from telco. When I had U-verse installed the installer simply ran a 50ft run of Cat5 to the set up location of my gateway, and connected the coaxial to the existing run that was  in place with my old Dish system. I have noticed ,several of my neighbors have their NID on the side of their homes despite the telco line coming in from above on the pole. I would like to have AT&T move it down for me so I have easier access and also update the NID to one with a built in Splitter as my NID is currently just a small box. Is this something I can call customer service for and have them send out a tech do it for free or am I going to pay an enormous amount to have this done. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I currently have U-verse TV/Internet bundle. I want to install more Cat5e runs and a hub for wired connectivity and also wish to change my gateway location. Currently the NID is up at the Gable's peak of my single story home, it's obviously there to accommodate the incoming wire from telco. When I had U-verse installed the installer simply ran a 50ft run of Cat5 to the set up location of my gateway, and connected the coaxial to the existing run that was  in place with my old Dish system. I have noticed ,several of my neighbors have their NID on the side of their homes despite the telco line coming in from above on the pole. I would like to have AT&T move it down for me so I have easier access and also update the NID to one with a built in Splitter as my NID is currently just a small box. Is this something I can call customer service for and have them send out a tech do it for free or am I going to pay an enormous amount to have this done. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Can I have AT&T move my NID down from Roof's Gable to an easier accessible location.

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 3:33:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
rocorama - As you notice the standard place for the NID is within reach of someone on the ground. This is because outside the NID is at&t responsibility & the wiring on the house side of the NID is customer responsibility. The NID is at&t responsibility,

I believe in most locations it is the telephone side that is responsible fo placing it. So, you have a choice to call the tel side (if you have POTS) or U-verse side or contact the team at attcustomercare using this link to PM - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

rocorama - As you notice the standard place for the NID is within reach of someone on the ground. This is because outside the NID is at&t responsibility & the wiring on the house side of the NID is customer responsibility. The NID is at&t responsibility,

I believe in most locations it is the telephone side that is responsible fo placing it. So, you have a choice to call the tel side (if you have POTS) or U-verse side or contact the team at attcustomercare using this link to PM - http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can I have AT&T move my NID down from Roof's Gable to an easier accessible location.

2 of 13 (1,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 5:07:05 AM
(0)
Employee
Your request is for a move order of equipment and is billable.
Expect a charge around $155, including new drop from pole to house (or extension from current placement down side of house) to new NID location,holes drilled into side of house, new cat5 home run (inside wiring) to RG location and new ground wire to NID..
For our area that is $99 service call plus $55 for each wire run (new home run). If need To connect POTS line needing another wire run add another $55.

If you pre run homerun wire to desired new NID location (as you are installing new cat5 for other location) should be able to have fees waived, leave plenty of slack at end and pre drill holes hole to outside if possible (pushing new home run through to outside) Why? Elimate the claim of touching (moving inside) wiring, making the job billable.

Note if drilling hole, make one big enough to fit both cat5 cable and ground wire, otherwise would have two smaller holes into home.
Your request is for a move order of equipment and is billable.
Expect a charge around $155, including new drop from pole to house (or extension from current placement down side of house) to new NID location,holes drilled into side of house, new cat5 home run (inside wiring) to RG location and new ground wire to NID..
For our area that is $99 service call plus $55 for each wire run (new home run). If need To connect POTS line needing another wire run add another $55.

If you pre run homerun wire to desired new NID location (as you are installing new cat5 for other location) should be able to have fees waived, leave plenty of slack at end and pre drill holes hole to outside if possible (pushing new home run through to outside) Why? Elimate the claim of touching (moving inside) wiring, making the job billable.

Note if drilling hole, make one big enough to fit both cat5 cable and ground wire, otherwise would have two smaller holes into home.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I have AT&T move my NID down from Roof's Gable to an easier accessible location.

3 of 13 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 5:22:02 AM
(0)
Employee
You may still incur a trip charge ($99) as this is still a move request and there is nothing wrong with your current setup. Yes outside is ATT responsibility but if you built a deck and wanted drop moved to not be over deck or want drop moved from aerial feed to burial (down side of pole, buried to house to NID ) these are also special move request and are billable. If a tree limb or snow storm takes out the drop then no charge, outside issue not your responsibility. In short if working and you want changed expect to pay.
You may still incur a trip charge ($99) as this is still a move request and there is nothing wrong with your current setup. Yes outside is ATT responsibility but if you built a deck and wanted drop moved to not be over deck or want drop moved from aerial feed to burial (down side of pole, buried to house to NID ) these are also special move request and are billable. If a tree limb or snow storm takes out the drop then no charge, outside issue not your responsibility. In short if working and you want changed expect to pay.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 13 (1,177 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 5:36:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
my thoughts - You make a good point & rocorama should be prepared for push-back. i do not see it as a simple move request generated by a customer change. One of the main functions of the NID is to allow the customer to determine if the problem is inside or outside. This function was not considered on the original placement.

The move request should state this as the reason & keep saying that
my thoughts - You make a good point & rocorama should be prepared for push-back. i do not see it as a simple move request generated by a customer change. One of the main functions of the NID is to allow the customer to determine if the problem is inside or outside. This function was not considered on the original placement.

The move request should state this as the reason & keep saying that
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 6:13:14 AM
(0)
Employee
The install tech did not place the drop but used what was previous existing, suspect drop goes into attic or under siding to basement.
The install tech should have updated NID with new protector and verified ground but did not need to move NID (preexisting).
Move NID requires moving inside wiring, touching IW automatic billable. Recommended for customer to deal with their IW prior to tech visit to eliminate or min costs. Customer request is a move order and should be treated as such.
The install tech did not place the drop but used what was previous existing, suspect drop goes into attic or under siding to basement.
The install tech should have updated NID with new protector and verified ground but did not need to move NID (preexisting).
Move NID requires moving inside wiring, touching IW automatic billable. Recommended for customer to deal with their IW prior to tech visit to eliminate or min costs. Customer request is a move order and should be treated as such.

6 of 13 (1,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 10:21:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your reply, I don't think having new wire run underground will be an option as the pole is on the corner of my back yard which is separated by a block wall with at least a 24" wide footing about 4ft down as the back yard is on a small hill side from the back corner to the house is about 50ft. That said, I believe my only option is having them run an extension feed down to the side of the house. I have already started feeding new cat5 runs to all existing inside phone jacks and a new Ethernet run to where the smart TV in the family room for the RG The coaxial is there already, and connected to my STB and TV. I don't use the phone jacks, I use VOIP for a landline, but for future residents should I move there I know needs to be existing working jacks. I can see paying $55 if need be , but I would think it should be a free because telco installed this it looks liek with out planning for future additions or wire changes. I would have thought when they brought U-verse in they would have moved the box insteaded of leaving it in that location, but like any trade there is always those that do just enough to get by instead of thinking ahead for future installations. A new drop of extension line to relocate the NID and replacing it with a newer box (as the existing one as I mentioned before is at the gables peak making it so incovenient) is what I want done. I'll have to contact CS and see what they tell me. 

Thanks for your reply, I don't think having new wire run underground will be an option as the pole is on the corner of my back yard which is separated by a block wall with at least a 24" wide footing about 4ft down as the back yard is on a small hill side from the back corner to the house is about 50ft. That said, I believe my only option is having them run an extension feed down to the side of the house. I have already started feeding new cat5 runs to all existing inside phone jacks and a new Ethernet run to where the smart TV in the family room for the RG The coaxial is there already, and connected to my STB and TV. I don't use the phone jacks, I use VOIP for a landline, but for future residents should I move there I know needs to be existing working jacks. I can see paying $55 if need be , but I would think it should be a free because telco installed this it looks liek with out planning for future additions or wire changes. I would have thought when they brought U-verse in they would have moved the box insteaded of leaving it in that location, but like any trade there is always those that do just enough to get by instead of thinking ahead for future installations. A new drop of extension line to relocate the NID and replacing it with a newer box (as the existing one as I mentioned before is at the gables peak making it so incovenient) is what I want done. I'll have to contact CS and see what they tell me. 

7 of 13 (1,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 10:22:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your link. I'll be sure to send my inquiry.

Thanks for your link. I'll be sure to send my inquiry.

8 of 13 (1,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 2:40:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

The NID has to be placed so that it is accessible to the customer.  There is a testing port on the ebn in side the bid the gives customers the ability to connect the rg outside at the nId. So if a tech installed it at the gable that is wrong and I would advise you to contact a manager and have that fixed and I do not believe you should be charged a trip chargE for replacing the nid 

The NID has to be placed so that it is accessible to the customer.  There is a testing port on the ebn in side the bid the gives customers the ability to connect the rg outside at the nId. So if a tech installed it at the gable that is wrong and I would advise you to contact a manager and have that fixed and I do not believe you should be charged a trip chargE for replacing the nid 

9 of 13 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 4:07:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by rocorama on Jul 6, 2013 at 4:09:05 PM

I used the provided link yesterday , thanks, to send my inquiry,and  no word back as of this afternoon. It says message not read in my sent folder, so perhaps they are off til Monday do to the holiday. If I don't hear back by Monday, I'll call and try to get this resolved. I've dropped new lines down the walls where existing phone jacks are and have new drop where I want to move the RG at. I just need them to lower my NID & then I can drop the run from the attic to the new location. If they won't move it for free I think I'll just make a run from the other side of the NID in my attic to the coat closet and install a 66-block wiring hub and an Ethernet mini patch panel. Then it won't matter if they won't move it and it will cost me less than $100 charge plus materials they would charge. Also, I see my NID has a security hex screw on the cover, why, it's 12.5' up from the ground.

I used the provided link yesterday , thanks, to send my inquiry,and  no word back as of this afternoon. It says message not read in my sent folder, so perhaps they are off til Monday do to the holiday. If I don't hear back by Monday, I'll call and try to get this resolved. I've dropped new lines down the walls where existing phone jacks are and have new drop where I want to move the RG at. I just need them to lower my NID & then I can drop the run from the attic to the new location. If they won't move it for free I think I'll just make a run from the other side of the NID in my attic to the coat closet and install a 66-block wiring hub and an Ethernet mini patch panel. Then it won't matter if they won't move it and it will cost me less than $100 charge plus materials they would charge. Also, I see my NID has a security hex screw on the cover, why, it's 12.5' up from the ground.

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 11:07:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well No such luck hearing back from Customer Service returning an email from the link that was provided, so I decided to call after about 25minutes holding I was connected to a tech support rep that told me the NID does not have to be moved, and AT&T would charge $149 to have a tech come and install another CAT5 line to where I wish to move my RG. and even if I installed the  new line to the new location they would still charge the same amount of $149 to have a tech make the connection in to the NID (No Relocating it.)  This is assinine! I was also told if I didn't want to pay the fee to add a patch cable (we're talking 100ft here) from back of the modem to the new location to the room where my new Smart TV resides,  wouldn't let even let move up the channel to a supervisor. It sounded like a call center either in the Philippines or India. So forget it AT&T Tech Support is useless!  I'll take care of this myself. I still can't believe how poorly this was handled.

Well No such luck hearing back from Customer Service returning an email from the link that was provided, so I decided to call after about 25minutes holding I was connected to a tech support rep that told me the NID does not have to be moved, and AT&T would charge $149 to have a tech come and install another CAT5 line to where I wish to move my RG. and even if I installed the  new line to the new location they would still charge the same amount of $149 to have a tech make the connection in to the NID (No Relocating it.)  This is assinine! I was also told if I didn't want to pay the fee to add a patch cable (we're talking 100ft here) from back of the modem to the new location to the room where my new Smart TV resides,  wouldn't let even let move up the channel to a supervisor. It sounded like a call center either in the Philippines or India. So forget it AT&T Tech Support is useless!  I'll take care of this myself. I still can't believe how poorly this was handled.

11 of 13 (1,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 8:42:37 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi rocorama,

I'm sorry for our delay getting back to you. One of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly to look into the options available.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi rocorama,

I'm sorry for our delay getting back to you. One of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly to look into the options available.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

12 of 13 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 4:30:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Any update??  I'm interested to see how this gets resolved especially considering it sounds like the installation was not done correctly.  The customer should and needs to be able to access the NID!

Any update??  I'm interested to see how this gets resolved especially considering it sounds like the installation was not done correctly.  The customer should and needs to be able to access the NID!

13 of 13 (954 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments