Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 7, 2014
5:35:03 PM
View profile
Can 2wire gateway be installed anywhere?

I'm changing my service to a new address and our new home will be shared with a tenant who lived there before us. Our house will be seperate from their house but we share one address. It shows that AT&T U-Verse can be installed at that address.

Now the question is once we have our services moved to our new address shared with tenants already living there, can the AT&T Technician install our rg 2wire gateway on our side of the house? We basically live in our own home shared on the same property with their home. Aka 2 homes, 1 address/property. 

If that can't be done and the 2wire gateway needs to be on their side of the house, can we just run a long wire/cable to our side of the house and put the gateway where we want it to be?

I'm changing my service to a new address and our new home will be shared with a tenant who lived there before us. Our house will be seperate from their house but we share one address. It shows that AT&T U-Verse can be installed at that address.

Now the question is once we have our services moved to our new address shared with tenants already living there, can the AT&T Technician install our rg 2wire gateway on our side of the house? We basically live in our own home shared on the same property with their home. Aka 2 homes, 1 address/property. 

If that can't be done and the 2wire gateway needs to be on their side of the house, can we just run a long wire/cable to our side of the house and put the gateway where we want it to be?

Can 2wire gateway be installed anywhere?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 6:25:49 PM
(0)
Employee
While the RG can be installed within the confines, remember a cat5 wire needs to be installed from the NID (network interface device, where outside lines approach and connect to property) to the desired gateway location.

This can mean drilling holes, attaching wire to outside of house (housewrap), etc.

As your account, your responsibility includes obtaining all permissions necessary, plus responsible for any corrections after the fact.

From Uverse terms of service... http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

INSTALLATION/SERVICE
You will be responsible for payment of service charges for visits by AT&T or its subcontractors to your premises when a service request results from causes not attributable to AT&T or its subcontractors, including, but not limited to, when you are unwilling to complete troubleshooting steps requested by AT&T. You will provide AT&T and its subcontractors with reasonable access to your premises in order to install, maintain, and repair the Service and you authorize any other adult resident or guest at your residence to grant access to your premises for these purposes. You understand and agree that AT&T may drill, cut, and otherwise alter improvements on the premises (including walls, flooring, and/or other surfaces) in order to install, maintain, or repair the Service. If you do not own your premises or your unit is part of a multi-tenant environment (e.g., apartment building, condominium, private subdivision), you warrant that you have obtained permission from any necessary party, including but not limited to the owner, landlord, or building manager, to allow AT&T and its subcontractors reasonable access to install, maintain, and repair the Service and to make any alterations AT&T deems appropriate for the work to be performed.

You acknowledge that AT&T may use existing wiring, including altering the wiring and removing accessories, located within your unit ("Inside Wiring"). You warrant that you own or control the Inside Wiring, and give AT&T permission to use, alter, and remove equipment from, such wiring. Without limiting any other provisions of this TOS, you agree to indemnify AT&T from and against all claims by an owner, landlord, building manager, or other party in connection with installation, maintenance, repair, or provision of the Services.
While the RG can be installed within the confines, remember a cat5 wire needs to be installed from the NID (network interface device, where outside lines approach and connect to property) to the desired gateway location.

This can mean drilling holes, attaching wire to outside of house (housewrap), etc.

As your account, your responsibility includes obtaining all permissions necessary, plus responsible for any corrections after the fact.

From Uverse terms of service... http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

INSTALLATION/SERVICE
You will be responsible for payment of service charges for visits by AT&T or its subcontractors to your premises when a service request results from causes not attributable to AT&T or its subcontractors, including, but not limited to, when you are unwilling to complete troubleshooting steps requested by AT&T. You will provide AT&T and its subcontractors with reasonable access to your premises in order to install, maintain, and repair the Service and you authorize any other adult resident or guest at your residence to grant access to your premises for these purposes. You understand and agree that AT&T may drill, cut, and otherwise alter improvements on the premises (including walls, flooring, and/or other surfaces) in order to install, maintain, or repair the Service. If you do not own your premises or your unit is part of a multi-tenant environment (e.g., apartment building, condominium, private subdivision), you warrant that you have obtained permission from any necessary party, including but not limited to the owner, landlord, or building manager, to allow AT&T and its subcontractors reasonable access to install, maintain, and repair the Service and to make any alterations AT&T deems appropriate for the work to be performed.

You acknowledge that AT&T may use existing wiring, including altering the wiring and removing accessories, located within your unit ("Inside Wiring"). You warrant that you own or control the Inside Wiring, and give AT&T permission to use, alter, and remove equipment from, such wiring. Without limiting any other provisions of this TOS, you agree to indemnify AT&T from and against all claims by an owner, landlord, building manager, or other party in connection with installation, maintenance, repair, or provision of the Services.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can 2wire gateway be installed anywhere?

2 of 9 (328 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 6:38:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Ok11223 - Your post really confuses me. I am trying to figure out what is bothering you.

MT gave a good detailed explanation on the wiring & equipment on your other post. I was just going to say - negotiate what you need with the tech.

What bothers me is the one address. Two valid apts need two valid addresses. If there are not two it is a red flag of illegality.

If you put the address in the u-verse web site, that means the other party does not have service. If they really do you will be blocked. And, if you go first, you will block them.

Time to straighten out the address discrepancy.
Ok11223 - Your post really confuses me. I am trying to figure out what is bothering you.

MT gave a good detailed explanation on the wiring & equipment on your other post. I was just going to say - negotiate what you need with the tech.

What bothers me is the one address. Two valid apts need two valid addresses. If there are not two it is a red flag of illegality.

If you put the address in the u-verse web site, that means the other party does not have service. If they really do you will be blocked. And, if you go first, you will block them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 6:39:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

my thoughts wrote:

INSTALLATION/SERVICE

my thoughts wrote:

I don't quite understand what you meant.. can the 2wire router/gateway be placed in our side of the home because we don't want it on their side of the house. ( It's two houses in one property sharing one address) We also don't want them to be messing with our internet as well. We need the router/modem in our house not their house.

If anything, can we just hook a long cable from their home(where the phone jack is ), drill a hole and attach wire to outside house and bring it to our house and drill hole inside and put the gateway router/modem there?

I'm afraid that the technician might put the router/modem in their home ( front house ) where our home is in the back. We don't even have the keys or is allowed to be in their home if say anything happens to our internet. 

my thoughts wrote:

INSTALLATION/SERVICE

my thoughts wrote:

I don't quite understand what you meant.. can the 2wire router/gateway be placed in our side of the home because we don't want it on their side of the house. ( It's two houses in one property sharing one address) We also don't want them to be messing with our internet as well. We need the router/modem in our house not their house.

If anything, can we just hook a long cable from their home(where the phone jack is ), drill a hole and attach wire to outside house and bring it to our house and drill hole inside and put the gateway router/modem there?

I'm afraid that the technician might put the router/modem in their home ( front house ) where our home is in the back. We don't even have the keys or is allowed to be in their home if say anything happens to our internet. 

4 of 9 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 6:44:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

aviewer wrote:

Its not an apartment. 

Think of it this way.

You buy a 3 bdrm 2 bath 1 living room house. Then you build an extension with the extra space you have in the backyard. You build another 3 bdrm, 2 bath, 1 living room. basically this is how our home is like. There is a house in the front and another house in the back. The problem is that we want our internet on our side of the house. That being said, can a technician manage to put a router/modem on our side of the house? We don't want to be sharing the internet with the house in front of us.

aviewer wrote:

Its not an apartment. 

Think of it this way.

You buy a 3 bdrm 2 bath 1 living room house. Then you build an extension with the extra space you have in the backyard. You build another 3 bdrm, 2 bath, 1 living room. basically this is how our home is like. There is a house in the front and another house in the back. The problem is that we want our internet on our side of the house. That being said, can a technician manage to put a router/modem on our side of the house? We don't want to be sharing the internet with the house in front of us.

5 of 9 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 7:40:21 PM
(0)
Employee
Your description is of a side by side duplex, with separate electric meters but a common shared water main.
The tech may install in your side, needing a cat5 wire from NID to RG location either by basement run, outside run, or attic run.

The important thing is to have permission rom owner to due what is necessary.
Last year, went to a service where rental in upper/lower duplex wanted service, the install tech had to run wires along back of house to corner, up corner then around to side to place RG in customers desired the location.

The owner of the property was upset, said never gave permission, wanted all wiring removed and new siding for the holes that were drilled to secure wiring to outside.

Ask yourself who is responsible?

As a duplex based on description, the owner needs to obtain some distinction between service address as has already with power company using separate meters.....how is listing for property taxes.

Your situation sounds as if in-law suite or servants quarters on main property.
Your description is of a side by side duplex, with separate electric meters but a common shared water main.
The tech may install in your side, needing a cat5 wire from NID to RG location either by basement run, outside run, or attic run.

Last year, went to a service where rental in upper/lower duplex wanted service, the install tech had to run wires along back of house to corner, up corner then around to side to place RG in customers desired the location.

The owner of the property was upset, said never gave permission, wanted all wiring removed and new siding for the holes that were drilled to secure wiring to outside.

As a duplex based on description, the owner needs to obtain some distinction between service address as has already with power company using separate meters.....how is listing for property taxes.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 9 (310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 8:00:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

my thoughts wrote:

Yes we will have permission to do this kind of work. I prefer to just have the technician to use a cat5 wire from NID to RG location by outside run. Our house is side by side with their house and there is a door which leads us into our home. I'm sure he can just wire it underneath the door and to our RG location. 

my thoughts wrote:

Yes we will have permission to do this kind of work. I prefer to just have the technician to use a cat5 wire from NID to RG location by outside run. Our house is side by side with their house and there is a door which leads us into our home. I'm sure he can just wire it underneath the door and to our RG location. 

7 of 9 (306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 8:02:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Ok11223 - Thanks, that clears up my perspective. Every time you said house I pictured a separate structure.
So, we can agree you have a single structure with two dwelling units, The two dwelling units need two addresses in order to have two U-verse services.

As MT says, wiring attached to the house requires approval of the landlord.

Sharing the internet is not an issue. The modem is placed where you want it & negotiate for it.
Ok11223 - Thanks, that clears up my perspective. Every time you said house I pictured a separate structure.
So, we can agree you have a single structure with two dwelling units, The two dwelling units need two addresses in order to have two U-verse services.

Sharing the internet is not an issue. The modem is placed where you want it & negotiate for it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 9 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 8:56:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

aviewer wrote:

Yes. We are going to discuss with the tenants and come to an agreement that they will cancel their AT&T U-Verse TV and allow us to add in our AT&T U-Verse internet. They already have their own internet provided by Sprint called "Clear" internet. We'll be adding U-Verse TV again but it will be in their own home. We will not be sharing the internet with them at all. Landlord is a good friend of my dad so he will be 100% okay with the AT&T techician that will be doing the wiring whether its attic, basement, or outside run. 

aviewer wrote:

Yes. We are going to discuss with the tenants and come to an agreement that they will cancel their AT&T U-Verse TV and allow us to add in our AT&T U-Verse internet. They already have their own internet provided by Sprint called "Clear" internet. We'll be adding U-Verse TV again but it will be in their own home. We will not be sharing the internet with them at all. Landlord is a good friend of my dad so he will be 100% okay with the AT&T techician that will be doing the wiring whether its attic, basement, or outside run. 

9 of 9 (297 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments