Posted Sep 16, 2013
12:28:03 PM
View profile
Cable Channels That No Longer Exist

What cable channels that have gone out of existence or business, do you miss the most? This question does not pertain to channels that are no longer on U-Verse such as Hallmark Channnel and the NHL Network, but to channels that no longer exist anywhere on any television provider system. One example would be the Speed Channel.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

What cable channels that have gone out of existence or business, do you miss the most? This question does not pertain to channels that are no longer on U-Verse such as Hallmark Channnel and the NHL Network, but to channels that no longer exist anywhere on any television provider system. One example would be the Speed Channel.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Cable Channels That No Longer Exist

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 1:16:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

WIkipeida does a good job covering this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_television_networks_in_the_United_States

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cable Channels That No Longer Exist

2 of 10 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 1:32:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:34:51 PM

americangame wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_television_networks_in_the_United_States

It is a good list, but a lot of it is over-the-air channels and networks. From all of the name and format changes on cable, there should be a lot more channels than those listed in the Wikipedia article. One former channel that I remember that is not on the list is The Nashville Network.

One on the list that I barely remember is the Overmeyer Network which was on in St. Louis on KDNL Channel 30. The DuMont network was big in the early 1950's. Jackie Gleason had his start there, and I think it was home for the Friday night fights.

americangame wrote:

It is a good list, but a lot of it is over-the-air channels and networks. From all of the name and format changes on cable, there should be a lot more channels than those listed in the Wikipedia article. One former channel that I remember that is not on the list is The Nashville Network.

One on the list that I barely remember is the Overmeyer Network which was on in St. Louis on KDNL Channel 30. The DuMont network was big in the early 1950's. Jackie Gleason had his start there, and I think it was home for the Friday night fights.

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 3:59:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

TNN is probably the one that I can think of.  At one time it was the only channel that really covered NASCAR. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

TNN is probably the one that I can think of.  At one time it was the only channel that really covered NASCAR. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

4 of 10 (577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 11:33:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by CostaMesaCAGuy on Sep 17, 2013 at 11:42:21 AM

The Nashville Network, which is now Spike TV.

Court TV, which is now TruTV. 

Cable Health Network, which is now Lifetime.

The Jukebox Network, later renamed The Box, an interactive channel where for $2 a pop, you called a 1-900 number to get them to play a music video of your choice.

CNN SI, CNN's sports news network.

CNN Fn, CNN's financial channel that used to do what CNBC, Bloomberg TV and Fox Business Network are doing now.

MuchMusic USA, which is now Fuse.

One channel I wish I had gotten 30 years ago was CBS Cable.  It had lots of artsy stuff.  That network only lasted a year.

One channel I don't miss is the Satellite News Channel.  I remember 30 years ago our cable provider carried that instead of CNN back when CNN used to be a great channel.  It wasn't until SNC lost so much money that Ted Turner, who owned CNN at the time, bought his rival out so he could take that network off the air and get the cable providers that used to carry SNC to carry CNN instead.

The Nashville Network, which is now Spike TV.

Court TV, which is now TruTV. 

Cable Health Network, which is now Lifetime.

The Jukebox Network, later renamed The Box, an interactive channel where for $2 a pop, you called a 1-900 number to get them to play a music video of your choice.

CNN SI, CNN's sports news network.

CNN Fn, CNN's financial channel that used to do what CNBC, Bloomberg TV and Fox Business Network are doing now.

MuchMusic USA, which is now Fuse.

One channel I wish I had gotten 30 years ago was CBS Cable.  It had lots of artsy stuff.  That network only lasted a year.

One channel I don't miss is the Satellite News Channel.  I remember 30 years ago our cable provider carried that instead of CNN back when CNN used to be a great channel.  It wasn't until SNC lost so much money that Ted Turner, who owned CNN at the time, bought his rival out so he could take that network off the air and get the cable providers that used to carry SNC to carry CNN instead.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 12:05:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by americangame on Sep 17, 2013 at 12:09:56 PM

If we include TV channels that  have evloved into different channels I can add in

TNN (the national network, when they were slowly changing into Spike)

Toon Disney (Now Disney XD)

Nick GAS (Now TeenNick)

Noggin (Now Nick Jr.)

Sci Fi (Now SyFy)

Discovery Kids (now the Hub)

Discovery Health (now OWN)

FitTV (Now Discovery Health & Fitness)

The Family Channel/Fox Family (now ABC Family)

HDNet (now AXS)

Discovery HD Theater (Now Velocity)

Fox Reality Channel (Now Nat Geo Wild)

Fine Living Network (Now Cooking Channel)

Fox Soccer (now FXX)

UPN (died with merger with WB)

WB (Changed to CW when it merged with UPN)

Tech TV (now G4)

MTV (the one that played Music Videos)

And soon to be added to this list

Style Network (Changing to Esquire Network)

-------

If we include TV channels that  have evloved into different channels I can add in

TNN (the national network, when they were slowly changing into Spike)

Toon Disney (Now Disney XD)

Nick GAS (Now TeenNick)

Noggin (Now Nick Jr.)

Sci Fi (Now SyFy)

Discovery Kids (now the Hub)

Discovery Health (now OWN)

FitTV (Now Discovery Health & Fitness)

The Family Channel/Fox Family (now ABC Family)

HDNet (now AXS)

Discovery HD Theater (Now Velocity)

Fox Reality Channel (Now Nat Geo Wild)

Fine Living Network (Now Cooking Channel)

Fox Soccer (now FXX)

UPN (died with merger with WB)

WB (Changed to CW when it merged with UPN)

Tech TV (now G4)

MTV (the one that played Music Videos)

And soon to be added to this list

Style Network (Changing to Esquire Network)

-------

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 12:47:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Speed!  I really miss it (other than Pinks, Wrecked and so on).  Their being gone really hit home, this weekend.  The NASCAR race was twice rained delay (at the start and right before half way).  I had lots to do and I planned on watching it later, on DVR.  When it resarted it was on another channel and my 3 hour padding at the end, would not have mattered.  Long story short, Speed would repackage the races about mideweek.  No more, since Speed is gone and the only replay was ESPN2 VERY early Monday morning.  The Watch ESPN app only had a Spanish version.  WHAT?

Speed!  I really miss it (other than Pinks, Wrecked and so on).  Their being gone really hit home, this weekend.  The NASCAR race was twice rained delay (at the start and right before half way).  I had lots to do and I planned on watching it later, on DVR.  When it resarted it was on another channel and my 3 hour padding at the end, would not have mattered.  Long story short, Speed would repackage the races about mideweek.  No more, since Speed is gone and the only replay was ESPN2 VERY early Monday morning.  The Watch ESPN app only had a Spanish version.  WHAT?

7 of 10 (476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 1:13:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Americangame: I really miss the fine, cultural programming that was on HDNet on Saturday nights. It is amazing what you can do with a bus when you travel across country.

Americangame: I really miss the fine, cultural programming that was on HDNet on Saturday nights. It is amazing what you can do with a bus when you travel across country.

8 of 10 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 1:48:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dwinth wrote:

It's truly amazing what you can get college aged women to do for a set of plastic balls on a string and an empty promise that this won't be on the internet.

-------

dwinth wrote:

It's truly amazing what you can get college aged women to do for a set of plastic balls on a string and an empty promise that this won't be on the internet.

-------

9 of 10 (434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 8:05:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dwinth wrote:

:smileylol:

dwinth wrote:

:smileylol:

10 of 10 (371 Views)