Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 15, 2013
8:54:39 PM
View profile
CBS Chicago SD recordings on DVR displaying wrong

I was watching a recording tonight on my DVR from WBBM Chicago (Channel 2, SD version).  I watch the recording on a SD set, so I am used to letterbox image on most recordings of current programs, but this recording was pillarboxed instead, obviously cutting off part of the picture on the sides. 

I also adjusted the output settings of the DVR to Widescreen SD and confirmed that the picture has black pillarboxing on the left and right.

What I need know is why the picture has been formatted this way?  I'm sure if I watched OTA using an antenna it would look correct.  Of course that would defeat the purpose of paying for Uverse for TV.  I'm pretty certain that even if I had something set wrong on the DVR box it would still record a correct signal, so either the channel is sending Uverse the wrong signal or Uverse is cropping the picture before sending it out.  I just need to know how I can get this issue addressed.

I was watching a recording tonight on my DVR from WBBM Chicago (Channel 2, SD version).  I watch the recording on a SD set, so I am used to letterbox image on most recordings of current programs, but this recording was pillarboxed instead, obviously cutting off part of the picture on the sides. 

I also adjusted the output settings of the DVR to Widescreen SD and confirmed that the picture has black pillarboxing on the left and right.

What I need know is why the picture has been formatted this way?  I'm sure if I watched OTA using an antenna it would look correct.  Of course that would defeat the purpose of paying for Uverse for TV.  I'm pretty certain that even if I had something set wrong on the DVR box it would still record a correct signal, so either the channel is sending Uverse the wrong signal or Uverse is cropping the picture before sending it out.  I just need to know how I can get this issue addressed.

CBS Chicago SD recordings on DVR displaying wrong

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2013 9:01:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

Same here at times with some Milwaukee SD channels. I called about it, they had no clue. I can't expect them to, as they don't work in the headend.

Same here at times with some Milwaukee SD channels. I called about it, they had no clue. I can't expect them to, as they don't work in the headend.

Re: CBS Chicago SD recordings on DVR displaying wrong

2 of 14 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 6:30:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

In Indianapolis, I have that issue with Fox59 (11 SD) and WISH (8 SD).  I have surmised that the SD feed from the station went haywire and the stations substituted a morphed HD picture in it's place.

In Indianapolis, I have that issue with Fox59 (11 SD) and WISH (8 SD).  I have surmised that the SD feed from the station went haywire and the stations substituted a morphed HD picture in it's place.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 14 (570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 6:41:00 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Fox Mulder on Dec 16, 2013 at 6:42:50 AM

Can you tell me what show you were trying to watch?

Currently all looks good on this channel HD is full and SD is “Pillarboxed” as are all the other SD channels as well.

Can you tell me what show you were trying to watch?

Currently all looks good on this channel HD is full and SD is “Pillarboxed” as are all the other SD channels as well.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 5:33:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by NotEd on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:39:59 PM

I believe it was Elementary I had the issue with.

SD shouldn't be pillarboxed, though.  It should be letterboxed.  The pillarboxing is cutting off the sides of the picture, so I couldn't quite tell what was going on when the action was on the sides of the screen.

I know I could avoid this by recording the HD version, but the DVR just doesn't have a large enought hard drive for me to do that for series except for a few I know I will watch on my HD televisions. Mostly I save that for movies off the premium channels.

I believe it was Elementary I had the issue with.

SD shouldn't be pillarboxed, though.  It should be letterboxed.  The pillarboxing is cutting off the sides of the picture, so I couldn't quite tell what was going on when the action was on the sides of the screen.

I know I could avoid this by recording the HD version, but the DVR just doesn't have a large enought hard drive for me to do that for series except for a few I know I will watch on my HD televisions. Mostly I save that for movies off the premium channels.

[ Edited ]
5 of 14 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:03:39 PM
(0)
Tutor
Also I just checked live and it is doing the same thing currently if I switch between the SD and HD live feeds of the channel.
Also I just checked live and it is doing the same thing currently if I switch between the SD and HD live feeds of the channel.

6 of 14 (503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:22:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
NotEd - Since you said it is happening now, I gave it a try. It is pretty awful. If you hit the zoom/enter button (bottom right) & use the zoom menu to set it to zoom3 it looks a lot better.
NotEd - Since you said it is happening now, I gave it a try. It is pretty awful. If you hit the zoom/enter button (bottom right) & use the zoom menu to set it to zoom3 it looks a lot better.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 9:31:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by NotEd on Dec 22, 2013 at 9:31:38 PM

aviewer wrote:

I don't appear to have a Zoom menu option when I press that button. When I click that button I get the options:

• Favorites Lists
  • Add to Favorites
  • Edit/Add Favorites
  • Audio Language
  • Closed Captions
  • Channel search

I don't know if that's because I'm watching an SD recording on an older standard def TV or if I have a different model THDVR than you are using, aviewer (I have an older THDVR model IPN4320, which is the only equipment remaining from my original install of Uverse several years ago).

aviewer wrote:

I don't appear to have a Zoom menu option when I press that button. When I click that button I get the options:

• Favorites Lists
  • Add to Favorites
  • Edit/Add Favorites
  • Audio Language
  • Closed Captions
  • Channel search

I don't know if that's because I'm watching an SD recording on an older standard def TV or if I have a different model THDVR than you are using, aviewer (I have an older THDVR model IPN4320, which is the only equipment remaining from my original install of Uverse several years ago).

[ Edited ]
8 of 14 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 5:14:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
NotEd - Oh yeah, I forgot you said you had a CRT TV. You will need a 16:9 TV connected with component or HDMI to get the zoom button. If your CRT TV is 4:3 & has component connection it will still display a smaller picture.
NotEd - Oh yeah, I forgot you said you had a CRT TV. You will need a 16:9 TV connected with component or HDMI to get the zoom button. If your CRT TV is 4:3 & has component connection it will still display a smaller picture.

9 of 14 (463 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 10:56:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

aviewer wrote:

Nothing that fancy over here. Just an old CRT hooked up via composite.  I will try the zoom button on one of my HDTVs next time I'm watching a show that the SD feed has been cropped like this, now that I know it is an option. Usually I don't do this with 4:3 feeds on those TVs because I dislike the distortion in the image usually present in a zoomed picture.

Also it won't solve my major complaint that the picture has been cropped down to 4:3 on the SD version of the channel when it doesn't need to be. 

aviewer wrote:

Nothing that fancy over here. Just an old CRT hooked up via composite.  I will try the zoom button on one of my HDTVs next time I'm watching a show that the SD feed has been cropped like this, now that I know it is an option. Usually I don't do this with 4:3 feeds on those TVs because I dislike the distortion in the image usually present in a zoomed picture.

Also it won't solve my major complaint that the picture has been cropped down to 4:3 on the SD version of the channel when it doesn't need to be. 

10 of 14 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 5:24:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
It appears that this issue is a problem with many of the SD versions of channels, since I had the problem on WTTW this past weekend. I ended up switching to the HD version, since I was watching live TV, even though I was still actually viewing on my old standard def set. Of course the problem went away for the time being.
It is kind of ridiculous to have to watch or record in HD just to get the whole picture, though. And it is killing the recording space on the DVR.
It appears that this issue is a problem with many of the SD versions of channels, since I had the problem on WTTW this past weekend. I ended up switching to the HD version, since I was watching live TV, even though I was still actually viewing on my old standard def set. Of course the problem went away for the time being.
It is kind of ridiculous to have to watch or record in HD just to get the whole picture, though. And it is killing the recording space on the DVR.

11 of 14 (384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 6:09:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If you want to blame someone, blame the TV channels themselves. AT&T onyl distributes the signals that they are given by the TV channels. A majority of them have started sending ther SD feed as a downconverted signal of thier HD feed. This causes the black bard to appear on the top and bottom of the screen as well as the overall poorer image quality on the SD channels. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

If you want to blame someone, blame the TV channels themselves. AT&T onyl distributes the signals that they are given by the TV channels. A majority of them have started sending ther SD feed as a downconverted signal of thier HD feed. This causes the black bard to appear on the top and bottom of the screen as well as the overall poorer image quality on the SD channels. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

12 of 14 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 9:51:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by baseballisback on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:59:15 AM

It stinks, but it is what it is. Until very my second TV was SD. I tuned in to the HD versions anyway.  ESPN channels are also 16x9 SD.

It stinks, but it is what it is. Until very my second TV was SD. I tuned in to the HD versions anyway.  ESPN channels are also 16x9 SD.

[ Edited ]
13 of 14 (353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 9:57:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yes. Americangame is right. The upside to the widescreen SD is that you'll see the whole image. With HD TVs being so common, it's making less sense to do a full screen SD image. For things like sports, the camera operators don't have to worry about a "safe zone" for SD channels. FOX Sports went 16x9 SD several years ago.

Yes. Americangame is right. The upside to the widescreen SD is that you'll see the whole image. With HD TVs being so common, it's making less sense to do a full screen SD image. For things like sports, the camera operators don't have to worry about a "safe zone" for SD channels. FOX Sports went 16x9 SD several years ago.

14 of 14 (337 Views)