Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 18, 2013
8:43:09 PM
View profile
CBS Being dropped

Not from UVerse, but from TWC.  This showed up on Facebook from my local CBS Station.

And folks say that only AT&T loses channels.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Not from UVerse, but from TWC.  This showed up on Facebook from my local CBS Station.

And folks say that only AT&T loses channels.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

CBS Being dropped

39 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(39)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:20:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
I bet there facebook and twitter are being lit up Dish has lost channels also they lost AMC .
I bet there facebook and twitter are being lit up Dish has lost channels also they lost AMC .

Re: CBS Being dropped

2 of 40 (2,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 7:18:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Of course, we all know it isn't necessarily being dropped, but CBS will certainly install fear tactics. 

Of course, we all know it isn't necessarily being dropped, but CBS will certainly install fear tactics. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 40 (2,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 8:10:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

Is there a reason why a cable company couldn't install an antenna in their DVR's and set top boxes and feed over-the-air programming directly into the DVR/STB based on the channel that is selected. Such a scheme could be transparent to the customer but would not require retransmission rights or confiscatory fees. As an added bonus, U-Verse could finally get access to digital subchannels.

Baseballisback is correct, CBS would never pull the plug on Time Warner for very long, but all CBS watchers in the impacted areas will have to put up with those stupid crawls interrupting network programming. The last time this happened in Columbus between Sinclair and AT*T, those crawls would be scrolling across the screen for 3-5 minutes at a time while you're trying to watch something...

Is there a reason why a cable company couldn't install an antenna in their DVR's and set top boxes and feed over-the-air programming directly into the DVR/STB based on the channel that is selected. Such a scheme could be transparent to the customer but would not require retransmission rights or confiscatory fees. As an added bonus, U-Verse could finally get access to digital subchannels.

Baseballisback is correct, CBS would never pull the plug on Time Warner for very long, but all CBS watchers in the impacted areas will have to put up with those stupid crawls interrupting network programming. The last time this happened in Columbus between Sinclair and AT*T, those crawls would be scrolling across the screen for 3-5 minutes at a time while you're trying to watch something...

4 of 40 (2,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 8:34:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They'd probably win in the inevitable suit brought by CBS or the station owner in response.  However, an antenna imbedded in the DVR itself would only work within a few miles of the tower and probably be a technical nightmare.

Keep in mind that this particular issue could be between TWC and a station owner other than CBS corporate, which could affect the dynamics of how quickly this is worked out. But I do agree that these normally do not last all that long, at least in comparison to the AT&T H*llm*rk dispute.

They'd probably win in the inevitable suit brought by CBS or the station owner in response.  However, an antenna imbedded in the DVR itself would only work within a few miles of the tower and probably be a technical nightmare.

Keep in mind that this particular issue could be between TWC and a station owner other than CBS corporate, which could affect the dynamics of how quickly this is worked out. But I do agree that these normally do not last all that long, at least in comparison to the AT&T H*llm*rk dispute.

5 of 40 (2,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 9:32:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It wouldn't be CBS pulling the plug, it would be TWC pulling the plug.  CBS has much more bargaining power than the majority of networks as they have more #1 shows being aired. Between NCIS, NCIS LA, Survivor, Big Brother, they have the ratings locked up. 

It wouldn't be CBS pulling the plug, it would be TWC pulling the plug.  CBS has much more bargaining power than the majority of networks as they have more #1 shows being aired. Between NCIS, NCIS LA, Survivor, Big Brother, they have the ratings locked up. 

6 of 40 (2,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 1:18:03 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by sportsman_1 on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:19:07 PM

I will make a bet with anyone that Time Warner Cable will not pull CBS. CBS is "the most wacthed network" Time Warner will lose a lot of people if they did pull it.

It seems like we go through this every year with a Cable/TV provider. 

It's a scare tatic usually in my opinion.

I will make a bet with anyone that Time Warner Cable will not pull CBS. CBS is "the most wacthed network" Time Warner will lose a lot of people if they did pull it.

It seems like we go through this every year with a Cable/TV provider. 

It's a scare tatic usually in my opinion.

[ Edited ]
7 of 40 (1,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 2:07:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't know that you can say that TWC would be the one pulling the plug.

TWC may refuse to sign a new retransmit agreement, but the station owner is the one holding the plug.

TWC may refuse to sign a new retransmit agreement, but the station owner is the one holding the plug.

8 of 40 (1,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 10:08:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

It has already been done.  Several DBS boxes (Dish and Direct) have had built in ATSC and NTSC tuners.   Actually I think that the better way for U-Verse would be to have the tuners installed and an F-Connector (or some other coax connector) to plug an external antenna in, to.

marcindublin wrote:

It has already been done.  Several DBS boxes (Dish and Direct) have had built in ATSC and NTSC tuners.   Actually I think that the better way for U-Verse would be to have the tuners installed and an F-Connector (or some other coax connector) to plug an external antenna in, to.

9 of 40 (1,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 10:10:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

I have read many articles on this.  Is this for CBS O&O stations, the entire CBS network or what? 

JefferMC wrote:

I have read many articles on this.  Is this for CBS O&O stations, the entire CBS network or what? 

10 of 40 (1,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 10:41:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:42:24 AM

I just got curious enough to look:  CBS O&O:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-23/time-warner-cable-cbs-extend-deadline-to-july-25-for-new-de...

The local station here is independantly owned.  No CBS On Demand.  No Time Warner in this immediate area, either.  

I just got curious enough to look:  CBS O&O:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-23/time-warner-cable-cbs-extend-deadline-to-july-25-for-new-deal.html

The local station here is independantly owned.  No CBS On Demand.  No Time Warner in this immediate area, either.  

[ Edited ]
11 of 40 (1,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 11:29:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't know what is being currently charged for CBS, but according to that article they are asking for a 600% increase. That sounds like quite the exageration.  I do know that CBS is the highest rated network on air so I know an increase is not that unusual, but 600%?

I don't know what is being currently charged for CBS, but according to that article they are asking for a 600% increase. That sounds like quite the exageration.  I do know that CBS is the highest rated network on air so I know an increase is not that unusual, but 600%?

12 of 40 (1,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 11:59:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

But I still think that it is just the stations (CBS O&O) and not "CBS."  See JefferMC's post, above.

oufanindallas wrote:

But I still think that it is just the stations (CBS O&O) and not "CBS."  See JefferMC's post, above.

13 of 40 (1,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 12:07:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by catchtwentytwo on Jul 23, 2013 at 12:08:37 PM

The antenna idea is being done now at Aereo.com. I understand they may have won a court case.

The antenna idea is being done now at Aereo.com. I understand they may have won a court case.

[ Edited ]
14 of 40 (1,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 12:07:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That may be an apples and oranges number.  It may include expanded OnDemand access, additional channels in the expanded Viacom family, subchannels, TVGN (where TVGN was previously contracted separately and is disingenuously being left out here), etc.

All supposition on my part.  I have no idea.   

That may be an apples and oranges number.  It may include expanded OnDemand access, additional channels in the expanded Viacom family, subchannels, TVGN (where TVGN was previously contracted separately and is disingenuously being left out here), etc.

All supposition on my part.  I have no idea.   

15 of 40 (1,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 12:09:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Is there a reason why a cable company couldn't install an antenna in their DVR's and set top boxes and feed over-the-air programming directly into the DVR/STB based on the channel that is selected

It has already been done.  Several DBS boxes (Dish and Direct) have had built in ATSC and NTSC tuners. 

Having an antenna in the box is one thing.  Being in a area where the antenna will do you any good is quite another.  I for one live about 50 miles away from Sutro Tower (San Francisco's main TV transmitter), and who knows how much farther from the NBC affiliate's antenna - and on top of that, I have hills to the south that block line of sight.  OTA reception is virtually impossible, especially with an indoor antenna that would be small enough to fit in a cable box..

It may just come down to who blinks first.  I remember a situation years ago where ABC (in its pre-Disney days) demanded that a small cable company that served about 40,000 people make room for ESPN2 when it first came out or it would pull the local ABC station; the company refused (IIRC, they couldn't free up any channels without breaking an existing contract), and for the better part of a year, the only ABC shows that city got were the Oscars and a Monday Night Football game the nearby team was playing.

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Is there a reason why a cable company couldn't install an antenna in their DVR's and set top boxes and feed over-the-air programming directly into the DVR/STB based on the channel that is selected

It has already been done.  Several DBS boxes (Dish and Direct) have had built in ATSC and NTSC tuners. 

Having an antenna in the box is one thing.  Being in a area where the antenna will do you any good is quite another.  I for one live about 50 miles away from Sutro Tower (San Francisco's main TV transmitter), and who knows how much farther from the NBC affiliate's antenna - and on top of that, I have hills to the south that block line of sight.  OTA reception is virtually impossible, especially with an indoor antenna that would be small enough to fit in a cable box..

It may just come down to who blinks first.  I remember a situation years ago where ABC (in its pre-Disney days) demanded that a small cable company that served about 40,000 people make room for ESPN2 when it first came out or it would pull the local ABC station; the company refused (IIRC, they couldn't free up any channels without breaking an existing contract), and for the better part of a year, the only ABC shows that city got were the Oscars and a Monday Night Football game the nearby team was playing.

16 of 40 (1,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 12:37:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That Don Guy wrote:

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Geography is a huge part of the OTA equation as is RF channel placement.  Two of our local stations are on high VHF.  The rest are on UHF.  High VHF is problematic.   I complained that at only 12 miles, I can't get WTHR 13 (RF 13) and WISH 8 (RF 9).  The WTHR CE actually came to my house!  We talked about 30 minutes.  He explained that folks 30-60 miles away (flatter Indiana, of course) could get better OTA than some close in.  NTSC was okay because sometimes the picture got a ghost or some snow BUT it came in.  ATSC if it's only partly in, you get no picture until it decodes for a certain time, with limited errors.

That Don Guy wrote:

dhascall wrote:

marcindublin wrote:

Geography is a huge part of the OTA equation as is RF channel placement.  Two of our local stations are on high VHF.  The rest are on UHF.  High VHF is problematic.   I complained that at only 12 miles, I can't get WTHR 13 (RF 13) and WISH 8 (RF 9).  The WTHR CE actually came to my house!  We talked about 30 minutes.  He explained that folks 30-60 miles away (flatter Indiana, of course) could get better OTA than some close in.  NTSC was okay because sometimes the picture got a ghost or some snow BUT it came in.  ATSC if it's only partly in, you get no picture until it decodes for a certain time, with limited errors.

17 of 40 (1,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 3:24:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The deadline is now after the weekend. 

The deadline is now after the weekend. 

18 of 40 (1,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:48:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

Before U-verse was available, I was a Dish subscriber.  When HD first became available, most of my local OTA broadcasters were doing some digital/HD broadcasting - especially the network programming.  Since Dish wasn't on board, I resorted to an outside antenna for the local OTA broadcasters, since they were all around 35 miles away, I needed more than just an inside antenna.  At the time, also the Dish receiver/DVR had the capability of receiving digital broadcasts through an input from my antenna cable.  Not only did it make possible digital reception, but the channels were included in the programming grid available from the receiver/DVR - and were included in what was available to record.  That worked until U-verse. The U-verse receiver/DVR doesn't have an input for my antenna.  And, since some local stations are not included in what I receive from U-verse, I purchased a Tivo specifically to receive the channels U-verse doesn't carry and are available OTA.  $19/month ain't bad to receive the rest of the channels, and with Tivo, I can record not only the ones U-verse doesn't carry, but those local stations U-verse does carry as well.

I don't know how important CBS may be to the Time Warner subscribers, but with an external antenna and a Tivo, they may decide they don't need Time Warner at all.

Before U-verse was available, I was a Dish subscriber.  When HD first became available, most of my local OTA broadcasters were doing some digital/HD broadcasting - especially the network programming.  Since Dish wasn't on board, I resorted to an outside antenna for the local OTA broadcasters, since they were all around 35 miles away, I needed more than just an inside antenna.  At the time, also the Dish receiver/DVR had the capability of receiving digital broadcasts through an input from my antenna cable.  Not only did it make possible digital reception, but the channels were included in the programming grid available from the receiver/DVR - and were included in what was available to record.  That worked until U-verse. The U-verse receiver/DVR doesn't have an input for my antenna.  And, since some local stations are not included in what I receive from U-verse, I purchased a Tivo specifically to receive the channels U-verse doesn't carry and are available OTA.  $19/month ain't bad to receive the rest of the channels, and with Tivo, I can record not only the ones U-verse doesn't carry, but those local stations U-verse does carry as well.

I don't know how important CBS may be to the Time Warner subscribers, but with an external antenna and a Tivo, they may decide they don't need Time Warner at all.

19 of 40 (1,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 12:49:30 PM
(0)
Scholar
Time Warner customers face 5:00 PM blackout of there local CBS station there always last minute deal with these things but it looks real ugly for them .
Time Warner customers face 5:00 PM blackout of there local CBS station there always last minute deal with these things but it looks real ugly for them .

20 of 40 (1,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 5:23:43 PM
(0)
Guru

The deadline got pushed back to 8pm Et. Monday and it's after 8pm Et. haven't heard any news yet. Anyone know?

The deadline got pushed back to 8pm Et. Monday and it's after 8pm Et. haven't heard any news yet. Anyone know?

21 of 40 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 11:40:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

sportsman_1 wrote:

Apparently TWC pulled the plug and then brought them back up, as negotiations resumed. 

sportsman_1 wrote:

Apparently TWC pulled the plug and then brought them back up, as negotiations resumed. 

22 of 40 (1,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 6:37:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have a work colleague that has TWC here in the DFW area and she lost CBS for about 1/2 an hour.  The blackout seems to only effect CBS O&O stations (the same ones that have on demand on UVerse).

I have a work colleague that has TWC here in the DFW area and she lost CBS for about 1/2 an hour.  The blackout seems to only effect CBS O&O stations (the same ones that have on demand on UVerse).

23 of 40 (1,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:08:49 PM
(0)
Guru

The really pulled the channels today. I'm kind of surprised:

"With changes in technology complicating the balance of power between television creators and distributors, CBS and Time Warner Cable failed to reach an agreement on fees Friday after weeks of talks and multiple deadline extensions, resulting in the broadcaster's flagship network going dark for the cable giant's subscribers in several major U.S. cities."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57596827-93/time-warner-cable-drops-cbs-as-talks-over-fees-fall-sho...

The really pulled the channels today. I'm kind of surprised:

"With changes in technology complicating the balance of power between television creators and distributors, CBS and Time Warner Cable failed to reach an agreement on fees Friday after weeks of talks and multiple deadline extensions, resulting in the broadcaster's flagship network going dark for the cable giant's subscribers in several major U.S. cities."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57596827-93/time-warner-cable-drops-cbs-as-talks-over-fees-fall-short/

24 of 40 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:35:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
Well that is sad i guess TWC loss will be other providers gain .
Well that is sad i guess TWC loss will be other providers gain .

25 of 40 (1,017 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 4:08:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We should all go register over at the TWC forums and be one post wonders!!  Isn't that the way it happens here?  Does Hallmark ring a bell?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

We should all go register over at the TWC forums and be one post wonders!!  Isn't that the way it happens here?  Does Hallmark ring a bell?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

26 of 40 (1,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 5:26:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

OMG, too funny BeeBee.  I may have to go troll there for a while. Smiley Wink

BeeBeeSA wrote:

OMG, too funny BeeBee.  I may have to go troll there for a while. Smiley Wink

27 of 40 (985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 5:45:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, enough trolling.  TWC mods are accusing CBS of demanding a 600% increase.  It's rather comical.  I cannot believe that CBS is trying to charge more than any sports network. 

Ok, enough trolling.  TWC mods are accusing CBS of demanding a 600% increase.  It's rather comical.  I cannot believe that CBS is trying to charge more than any sports network. 

28 of 40 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 6:01:29 PM
(0)
Guru

I guess to the people who have Bright House Networks. It involves them as well:

http://onyourside.brighthouse.com/content/retrans/home-page/national.html

I know I would have Bright House Networks here in the Metro Detroit area if it wasn't for U-Verse. Thank goodness I have U-verse. 

I guess to the people who have Bright House Networks. It involves them as well:

http://onyourside.brighthouse.com/content/retrans/home-page/national.html

I know I would have Bright House Networks here in the Metro Detroit area if it wasn't for U-Verse. Thank goodness I have U-verse. 

29 of 40 (978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 6:09:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
Bad thing for them they will miss CBS college football and NFL Sunday Football .
Bad thing for them they will miss CBS college football and NFL Sunday Football .

30 of 40 (970 Views)