CBS Being dropped

Highlighted

CBS Being dropped

Not from UVerse, but from TWC.  This showed up on Facebook from my local CBS Station.

And folks say that only AT&T loses channels.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 1 of 40
Scholar

Re: CBS Being dropped

I bet there facebook and twitter are being lit up Dish has lost channels also they lost AMC .
Message 2 of 40
ACE - Professor

Of course, we all know it isn't necessarily being dropped, but CBS will certainly install fear tactics. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 40
Scholar

Is there a reason why a cable company couldn't install an antenna in their DVR's and set top boxes and feed over-the-air programming directly into the DVR/STB based on the channel that is selected. Such a scheme could be transparent to the customer but would not require retransmission rights or confiscatory fees. As an added bonus, U-Verse could finally get access to digital subchannels.

Baseballisback is correct, CBS would never pull the plug on Time Warner for very long, but all CBS watchers in the impacted areas will have to put up with those stupid crawls interrupting network programming. The last time this happened in Columbus between Sinclair and AT*T, those crawls would be scrolling across the screen for 3-5 minutes at a time while you're trying to watch something...

Message 4 of 40
ACE - Expert

They'd probably win in the inevitable suit brought by CBS or the station owner in response.  However, an antenna imbedded in the DVR itself would only work within a few miles of the tower and probably be a technical nightmare.

Keep in mind that this particular issue could be between TWC and a station owner other than CBS corporate, which could affect the dynamics of how quickly this is worked out. But I do agree that these normally do not last all that long, at least in comparison to the AT&T H*llm*rk dispute.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 40

It wouldn't be CBS pulling the plug, it would be TWC pulling the plug.  CBS has much more bargaining power than the majority of networks as they have more #1 shows being aired. Between NCIS, NCIS LA, Survivor, Big Brother, they have the ratings locked up. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 6 of 40

I will make a bet with anyone that Time Warner Cable will not pull CBS. CBS is "the most wacthed network" Time Warner will lose a lot of people if they did pull it.

It seems like we go through this every year with a Cable/TV provider. 

It's a scare tatic usually in my opinion.

Message 7 of 40
ACE - Expert

I don't know that you can say that TWC would be the one pulling the plug.

TWC may refuse to sign a new retransmit agreement, but the station owner is the one holding the plug.

Message 8 of 40
ACE - Master

marcindublin wrote:

Is there a reason why a cable company couldn't install an antenna in their DVR's and set top boxes and feed over-the-air programming directly into the DVR/STB based on the channel that is selected. Such a scheme could be transparent to the customer but would not require retransmission rights or confiscatory fees. As an added bonus, U-Verse could finally get access to digital subchannels.

Baseballisback is correct, CBS would never pull the plug on Time Warner for very long, but all CBS watchers in the impacted areas will have to put up with those stupid crawls interrupting network programming. The last time this happened in Columbus between Sinclair and AT*T, those crawls would be scrolling across the screen for 3-5 minutes at a time while you're trying to watch something...

It has already been done.  Several DBS boxes (Dish and Direct) have had built in ATSC and NTSC tuners.   Actually I think that the better way for U-Verse would be to have the tuners installed and an F-Connector (or some other coax connector) to plug an external antenna in, to.

Message 9 of 40
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

I don't know that you can say that TWC would be the one pulling the plug.

TWC may refuse to sign a new retransmit agreement, but the station owner is the one holding the plug.

I have read many articles on this.  Is this for CBS O&O stations, the entire CBS network or what? 

Message 10 of 40
ACE - Expert

I just got curious enough to look:  CBS O&O:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-23/time-warner-cable-cbs-extend-deadline-to-july-25-for-new-de...

The local station here is independantly owned.  No CBS On Demand.  No Time Warner in this immediate area, either.  

Message 11 of 40

I don't know what is being currently charged for CBS, but according to that article they are asking for a 600% increase. That sounds like quite the exageration.  I do know that CBS is the highest rated network on air so I know an increase is not that unusual, but 600%?

Message 12 of 40
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

I don't know what is being currently charged for CBS, but according to that article they are asking for a 600% increase. That sounds like quite the exageration.  I do know that CBS is the highest rated network on air so I know an increase is not that unusual, but 600%?

But I still think that it is just the stations (CBS O&O) and not "CBS."  See JefferMC's post, above.

Message 13 of 40

The antenna idea is being done now at Aereo.com. I understand they may have won a court case.

Message 14 of 40
ACE - Expert

That may be an apples and oranges number.  It may include expanded OnDemand access, additional channels in the expanded Viacom family, subchannels, TVGN (where TVGN was previously contracted separately and is disingenuously being left out here), etc.

All supposition on my part.  I have no idea.   

Message 15 of 40
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support