Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 16, 2012
7:38:58 AM
View profile
Buying a new TV

Seeking to replace a Mitsubishi 65" with another 65 or perhaps 70" set.  Research has left some unanswered questions.  Have seen many comments that plasma sets use more power than LED units.  Have not seen mention of how much. Is usage doubled? Up 10%?  Another item is THX Optimizer/calibration.  Is this an important item or just marketing?  Many sets now are 3D or 3D ready.  I am not currently interested in 3D, should 3D sets be avoided?  Another common feature is WiFi & smart sets.  What is the point? 

Seeking to replace a Mitsubishi 65" with another 65 or perhaps 70" set.  Research has left some unanswered questions.  Have seen many comments that plasma sets use more power than LED units.  Have not seen mention of how much. Is usage doubled? Up 10%?  Another item is THX Optimizer/calibration.  Is this an important item or just marketing?  Many sets now are 3D or 3D ready.  I am not currently interested in 3D, should 3D sets be avoided?  Another common feature is WiFi & smart sets.  What is the point? 

Buying a new TV

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 1:23:24 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by oz_1 on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:25:18 PM

It will be hard to find a new flat panel of that size that does not have 3D but the beauty part is you don't have to use it and usually the 2D picture quality is better.

Plasma's do use more watts than LCD's.

Plasma's handle quick motion better than LCD's but at least their lag has been dropped to 4ms.

Plasma's can do Blacker than Black better than LCD's (note nothing beats a CRT in that arena currently)

LCD's work better in a brightly lite room or a room with a lot of open windows.

LCD's are harder but not impossible to have image retention.

A lot of info can be had on AVS forums.

A very nice LCD is the new ELITE but set down before you pull up the price.

My personnal preference for bang for the buck would be the new ST50 models from Panasonic in what ever size you want from 42 to 65.

You want either an ethernet or wi-fi connection for firmware upgrade and diagnostics besides the other frills that a smart TV has to offer.

It will be hard to find a new flat panel of that size that does not have 3D but the beauty part is you don't have to use it and usually the 2D picture quality is better.

Plasma's do use more watts than LCD's.

Plasma's handle quick motion better than LCD's but at least their lag has been dropped to 4ms.

Plasma's can do Blacker than Black better than LCD's (note nothing beats a CRT in that arena currently)

LCD's work better in a brightly lite room or a room with a lot of open windows.

LCD's are harder but not impossible to have image retention.

A lot of info can be had on AVS forums.

A very nice LCD is the new ELITE but set down before you pull up the price.

My personnal preference for bang for the buck would be the new ST50 models from Panasonic in what ever size you want from 42 to 65.

You want either an ethernet or wi-fi connection for firmware upgrade and diagnostics besides the other frills that a smart TV has to offer.

Re: Buying a new TV

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 5:36:03 PM
(0)
Expert

I looked at weight as well, and plasmas appear to be heavier than LCDs from what I read.   I went with LCD and a matte screen because kitchen window is directly opposite TV wall (plus windows on 4 sides of room!).

When I bought ours (only 55"), plasmas were a couple hundred dollars cheaper, but for our needs, the LCD won out.  LEDs were WAY expensive then as they were new to the market.

I looked at weight as well, and plasmas appear to be heavier than LCDs from what I read.   I went with LCD and a matte screen because kitchen window is directly opposite TV wall (plus windows on 4 sides of room!).

When I bought ours (only 55"), plasmas were a couple hundred dollars cheaper, but for our needs, the LCD won out.  LEDs were WAY expensive then as they were new to the market.

3 of 9 (212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 1:16:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the tip on AVS forums.  Lots of good information there, in fact, way to much for me.  I just want to watch a nice TV without becoming and electrical engineer.

Thanks for the tip on AVS forums.  Lots of good information there, in fact, way to much for me.  I just want to watch a nice TV without becoming and electrical engineer.

4 of 9 (196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 1:47:25 PM
(0)
Expert

I got a tip from an expert on our forums Smiley Wink  that it isn't necessary to go for the higher MHz frame/refresh rate.  I took that advice and went with 60 (over 120 or 240), and have been happy with it.

If you're a sports fan, you might want to go higher.

One thing I would advise, get one with as many HDMI ports on it as (affordably) possible.  Everything is headed that way, so it will be easier connections for new equipment.

I got a tip from an expert on our forums Smiley Wink  that it isn't necessary to go for the higher MHz frame/refresh rate.  I took that advice and went with 60 (over 120 or 240), and have been happy with it.

If you're a sports fan, you might want to go higher.

One thing I would advise, get one with as many HDMI ports on it as (affordably) possible.  Everything is headed that way, so it will be easier connections for new equipment.

5 of 9 (190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 3:17:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have discovered that Cnet has a TV buyers guide that addresses most of my questions in an easy to understand manner.  I would recommend it to those who need buying help.

I have discovered that Cnet has a TV buyers guide that addresses most of my questions in an easy to understand manner.  I would recommend it to those who need buying help.

6 of 9 (183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 3:49:36 PM
(0)
Expert

Happy shopping!

Happy shopping!

7 of 9 (179 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 7:51:09 PM
(0)
Master

When you go shopping in places like Target,Walmart and Best Buy just be aware that your home is not going to have a dozen floresent lights in your living room so they run the panels hot on display but at least the Magnolia section in BB is closer to your actual viewing at night.

When you go shopping in places like Target,Walmart and Best Buy just be aware that your home is not going to have a dozen floresent lights in your living room so they run the panels hot on display but at least the Magnolia section in BB is closer to your actual viewing at night.

8 of 9 (171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 7:40:48 AM
(0)
Master

Good point about the lighting Oz. Only problem with BB is they run a super HQ video loop on their TV's where you may not see the same thing short of using a Blu-Ray player at home. Not saying it's a 1080p signal but awfully good/sharp. At least since all the TV's are normally running the same signal you can see the differences between the picture quality on the sets.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

Good point about the lighting Oz. Only problem with BB is they run a super HQ video loop on their TV's where you may not see the same thing short of using a Blu-Ray player at home. Not saying it's a 1080p signal but awfully good/sharp. At least since all the TV's are normally running the same signal you can see the differences between the picture quality on the sets.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

9 of 9 (164 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments