Bridging NVG589

Contributor

Bridging NVG589

[ Edited ]

I just got U-Verse yesterday.  Before I had ATT DSL and a Netgear WNDR3700 router along with several IP cameras behind the router.  Each camera had a fixed unique internal address and port.  I had the 3700 set up with port forwarding for each camera and was able to access each one from the outside world.  The DSL modem was configured in Bridged mode and it worked great.

I now have the WAN port of the 3700 connected to a LAN port of the NVR589.  I have internet access but can not access the cameras from the outside world. I have not been able to figure out how to configure the NVR589 and 3700.  I have tried the Passthrough and Default Server but that did not work.  I also tried port forwarding on the NVR to 3700 with very limited success, it did connect but timed out.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7 (1,841 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Bridging NVG589

Either IP passthrough or port forwarding should work.  Are you testing this from outside your network?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (1,813 Views)
Contributor

In my haste I probably did not wait long enough for my Dynamic DNS to get updated.  Both port forwarding and IP Passthrough appear to work.  I had left it with port forwarding set up on the NVG to forward a camera port to 3700 router.  It started working after a period of time.  Today I went in an set up the IP Passthrough on the NVG and removed the port forwarding.  I reset the 3700 and checked, it does have an external address and I have access to all my cameras from the outside world.

BTW I was triying to get access from behind my router, it has typically worked in the past.  But I also checked it through my phone on 4G.

Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 7 (1,787 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

The older Residential Gateways would not properly "loopback" your external (public) address when used from inside your network.  The NVG 589 may be smarter and do so correctly. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7 (1,774 Views)
Teacher

Just moved from another provider to a AT&T with a NVG589. My old router (Juniper SSG5) allowed NAT loopback / reflection. It was nice with IP camera's for access from WAN and LAN while using dyndns. I noticed I can't do the same on the NVG589. Any success doing so?

Message 5 of 7 (874 Views)
Contributor

I used the IP Forwarding on the NVG589 and did not change anything on my router setup (other than switching from the  DSL login).  Worked great.

Message 6 of 7 (843 Views)
Teacher

thanks for the reply. i was hoping to leave routing functions on the nvg589. looking for a NAT loopback option on the nvg589 itself.

Message 7 of 7 (835 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.