Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 1, 2013
12:53:51 PM
View profile
Belkin Battery Backup routinely goes into alarm mode

I posted this in another (possibly unrelated) thread and got no response.

I have a Belkin Battery backup that is giving me fits.  The Belkin's squealing CONSTANT alert has gone off maybe a half dozen times in the past few months and of course it cuts off juice to the RG.  Simply flipping the Belkin power switch from on to off and back, fixes it.

I had noticed that the outlet that it's being plugged into was twisted.  My son-in-law put in a new outlet and straightened the outlet box.  I also plugged the Belkin directly in to the outlet instead of a strip.  It has went mad once more, since then.

There are no known power interruptions in the house and I'm 100% sure that the battery is good as when I cut power to the outlet from the breaker, the RG went into its normal power loss series of beeps and STILL provided juice to the RG. 

I posted this in another (possibly unrelated) thread and got no response.

I have a Belkin Battery backup that is giving me fits.  The Belkin's squealing CONSTANT alert has gone off maybe a half dozen times in the past few months and of course it cuts off juice to the RG.  Simply flipping the Belkin power switch from on to off and back, fixes it.

I had noticed that the outlet that it's being plugged into was twisted.  My son-in-law put in a new outlet and straightened the outlet box.  I also plugged the Belkin directly in to the outlet instead of a strip.  It has went mad once more, since then.

There are no known power interruptions in the house and I'm 100% sure that the battery is good as when I cut power to the outlet from the breaker, the RG went into its normal power loss series of beeps and STILL provided juice to the RG. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Belkin Battery Backup routinely goes into alarm mode

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2013 9:32:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Anyone?  Anyone?  Happened again tonight at 7:58 PM, when I was out with the wife.  No Survivor.  No Idol. Smiley Mad

Anyone?  Anyone?  Happened again tonight at 7:58 PM, when I was out with the wife.  No Survivor.  No Idol. Smiley Mad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Belkin Battery Backup routinely goes into alarm mode

2 of 11 (9,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 7:31:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Good luck with getting the problem resolved. They sent me a used one that does the same thing out of the box. It wont take a charge, stays in Fault and periodicaly goes into alarm.... No one seems to care either or knows what to do.

Good luck with getting the problem resolved. They sent me a used one that does the same thing out of the box. It wont take a charge, stays in Fault and periodicaly goes into alarm.... No one seems to care either or knows what to do.

3 of 11 (9,623 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 8:27:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
I bought an AC adapter for the AT&T router and plugged into my existing ups, problem solved.
I bought an AC adapter for the AT&T router and plugged into my existing ups, problem solved.

4 of 11 (9,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2013 7:06:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jpipkin12003 wrote:

Well, I do not even know why I have a backup.  I mention that fact to the Genius Tier 1's and they say "you won't be able to use your phone!"  And I say #$@^*, I don't have U-Voice.  I get total silence, thereafter.  They then say your RG requires a backup.  Really?  Is that true?

I disagree with your last sentence.  MOST CSR's and Tech support DO care but you do get a complete tool, on occasion.

dsampley - where did you get the proper AC adapter for the RG and what are the specs (i.e. volts, ampos, and ground configuration -O+ +O-)?  Thanks!

jpipkin12003 wrote:

Well, I do not even know why I have a backup.  I mention that fact to the Genius Tier 1's and they say "you won't be able to use your phone!"  And I say #$@^*, I don't have U-Voice.  I get total silence, thereafter.  They then say your RG requires a backup.  Really?  Is that true?

I disagree with your last sentence.  MOST CSR's and Tech support DO care but you do get a complete tool, on occasion.

dsampley - where did you get the proper AC adapter for the RG and what are the specs (i.e. volts, ampos, and ground configuration -O+ +O-)?  Thanks!

5 of 11 (9,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 6:45:40 AM
(0)
Master

dhascall wrote:

jpipkin12003 wrote:

Hey Dave, the power supply should be 12VDC output with center positive. If you have a digital multi-meter you can verify this on the connector that plugs into the RG. You can get one of those universal power supplies from Radio Shack. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875404&filterName=Type&filterValue=12V+or+les...

You'll have to match the correct connector size with the RG or cut the connector off the Belkin and splice it on to the the new power supply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

dhascall wrote:

jpipkin12003 wrote:

Hey Dave, the power supply should be 12VDC output with center positive. If you have a digital multi-meter you can verify this on the connector that plugs into the RG. You can get one of those universal power supplies from Radio Shack. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875404&filterName=Type&filterValue=12V+or+less

You'll have to match the correct connector size with the RG or cut the connector off the Belkin and splice it on to the the new power supply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 11 (9,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 10:21:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks CJ!

I will look for one, this weekend.  My gut says that the Belkin's fault circuitry is triggering in error.  Is that what you call a faults alarm?  Lol.  Nothing from AT&T management @ this point.

Thanks CJ!

I will look for one, this weekend.  My gut says that the Belkin's fault circuitry is triggering in error.  Is that what you call a faults alarm?  Lol.  Nothing from AT&T management @ this point.

7 of 11 (9,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2013 7:39:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on May 6, 2013 at 7:41:17 AM

Good ol' AT&T PT's!

I chatted up an AT&T PT and described my problem and asked for his advice.  He asked if I had U-Voice or VOIP and I said no.  He told me that all I needed was an adapter and for me to hold on.  He went to his truck and handed me the required brick!  Awesome!  Thanks AT&T Random PT!

So, I do not have to have a Battery Backup (and he had a spare of those too!).  The brick (as C-J pointed out) is a Center Positive model, 12 Volts output at 3.0 amps.  This model is Pace unit and you can buy it online here.  

An odd factoid - I have read / heard that the RG should be plugged into the wall directly.  There is a tag on the PS brick that says "use of a surge protector is recommended."

Another oddity - AT&T really pushes the Belkin BU's and will readily give you their phone number. Wonder what sort of sweetheart deal AT&T and Belkin have?

Good ol' AT&T PT's!

I chatted up an AT&T PT and described my problem and asked for his advice.  He asked if I had U-Voice or VOIP and I said no.  He told me that all I needed was an adapter and for me to hold on.  He went to his truck and handed me the required brick!  Awesome!  Thanks AT&T Random PT!

So, I do not have to have a Battery Backup (and he had a spare of those too!).  The brick (as C-J pointed out) is a Center Positive model, 12 Volts output at 3.0 amps.  This model is Pace unit and you can buy it online here.  

An odd factoid - I have read / heard that the RG should be plugged into the wall directly.  There is a tag on the PS brick that says "use of a surge protector is recommended."

Another oddity - AT&T really pushes the Belkin BU's and will readily give you their phone number. Wonder what sort of sweetheart deal AT&T and Belkin have?

[ Edited ]
8 of 11 (9,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 3:20:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue here.  Mine started screaming mid-August (even though the speaker toggle switch on the front is set to mute...).  I was going to buy a new battery from Belkin (found a link on here at the time, which I haven't been able to find again yet), but then looked around and found one from a reseller on Amazon (BuyClerk) for half the price.  Unfortunately, I think it's a case of "get what you pay for", because I'm pretty sure it's a re-conditioned battery; and since replacing it two days ago, the BBU has faulted four times.  It usually goes about 8 hrs, and then freaks out.  I removed it from my Gateway device (used a regular power supply) and plugged it back into the wall again to see how long it will go this time without actually having to power the Gateway.  Not sure if I'll toss it, or try to get an "officially sanctioned" battery.

Same issue here.  Mine started screaming mid-August (even though the speaker toggle switch on the front is set to mute...).  I was going to buy a new battery from Belkin (found a link on here at the time, which I haven't been able to find again yet), but then looked around and found one from a reseller on Amazon (BuyClerk) for half the price.  Unfortunately, I think it's a case of "get what you pay for", because I'm pretty sure it's a re-conditioned battery; and since replacing it two days ago, the BBU has faulted four times.  It usually goes about 8 hrs, and then freaks out.  I removed it from my Gateway device (used a regular power supply) and plugged it back into the wall again to see how long it will go this time without actually having to power the Gateway.  Not sure if I'll toss it, or try to get an "officially sanctioned" battery.

9 of 11 (8,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 11:38:55 AM
(0)
Voyager
I have the same problem (two faults a day for the past 2-3 months), but I *do* have VOIP (that is, our phone service is through U-Verse)? Do y'all think I could replace mine with an adapter too, or is there some technical reason that makes the backup necessary for VOIP?
I have the same problem (two faults a day for the past 2-3 months), but I *do* have VOIP (that is, our phone service is through U-Verse)? Do y'all think I could replace mine with an adapter too, or is there some technical reason that makes the backup necessary for VOIP?

10 of 11 (8,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 12:11:57 PM
(0)
Employee

You may replace the BBU with a brick as far as RG sync functionality.
The battery is only designed to power the RG in the event of power failure, to make and receive phone calls.
If you do not have a phone ( such as princess line) that will function without power,it is a mute issue.
If wish to order online...power cord $7, power brick $10

www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku5040255&q_manufacturer=&q_...
http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku4940294&q_manufactu...

You may replace the BBU with a brick as far as RG sync functionality.
The battery is only designed to power the RG in the event of power failure, to make and receive phone calls.
If you do not have a phone ( such as princess line) that will function without power,it is a mute issue.
If wish to order online...power cord $7, power brick $10

www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku5040255&q_manufacturer=&q_model=
http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku4940294&q_manufacturer=&q_model=
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 11 (8,784 Views)