Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Sep 23, 2013
6:25:11 AM
View profile
Backup Motorola 2210-02-1ATT Modem Doesn't Work

I have AT&T U-verse Internet service at home as well at my office. In both locations I'm using a non-AT&T router in conjunction with an AT&T-supplied Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem. Both location Internet services are working fine, but I want to have a backup modem.

I was told at an AT&T store that I cannot purchase a Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem from AT&T. Needless to say, this made me very angry.

I obtained a used Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem on eBay with installed software version 7.8.7r27. I reset the modem and configured it for IP pass-through, but it doesn't share a WAN IP address with my office router like my other modems of like model do. It only shares its built-in local IP address.

So what's the problem? Is it a bad modem? Is its software not up-to-date? Does AT&T need to tie in this particular modem to my U-verse account/connection?

I have AT&T U-verse Internet service at home as well at my office. In both locations I'm using a non-AT&T router in conjunction with an AT&T-supplied Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem. Both location Internet services are working fine, but I want to have a backup modem.

I was told at an AT&T store that I cannot purchase a Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem from AT&T. Needless to say, this made me very angry.

I obtained a used Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem on eBay with installed software version 7.8.7r27. I reset the modem and configured it for IP pass-through, but it doesn't share a WAN IP address with my office router like my other modems of like model do. It only shares its built-in local IP address.

So what's the problem? Is it a bad modem? Is its software not up-to-date? Does AT&T need to tie in this particular modem to my U-verse account/connection?

Backup Motorola 2210-02-1ATT Modem Doesn't Work

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 8:11:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I could be wrong here but I believe you can only have one "modem" provisioned per account/address.  So the spare you have would sit idle until the other failed, then you would have to call to get the spare provisioned so it will work. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I could be wrong here but I believe you can only have one "modem" provisioned per account/address.  So the spare you have would sit idle until the other failed, then you would have to call to get the spare provisioned so it will work. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Backup Motorola 2210-02-1ATT Modem Doesn't Work

2 of 4 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 8:21:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

I hope you are right, and I'm going to test the theory by trying my functioning at home modem in my office.

That wasn't the case with AT&T DSL modems, but things may have changed with U-verse service, bringing it in line with most cable service providers with respect to modem provisioning.

I hope you are right, and I'm going to test the theory by trying my functioning at home modem in my office.

That wasn't the case with AT&T DSL modems, but things may have changed with U-verse service, bringing it in line with most cable service providers with respect to modem provisioning.

3 of 4 (513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 2:38:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

OK, I tried my Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem from home on my office network, and it doesn't work. The overwhelming evidence is that AT&T provisioning is required when swapping modems, particularly since my home modem has the same software as that of the one I purchased on eBay.

Now my concern is whether AT&T will provision my spare modem should the need arise. Or will they require me to swap out my old modem for one supplied by them? It doesn't make sense to me for them to do that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I personally don't care for the Motorola NVG510 modem/router, but AT&T seems ****-bent on forcing everyone to use it.

OK, I tried my Motorola 2210-02-1ATT modem from home on my office network, and it doesn't work. The overwhelming evidence is that AT&T provisioning is required when swapping modems, particularly since my home modem has the same software as that of the one I purchased on eBay.

Now my concern is whether AT&T will provision my spare modem should the need arise. Or will they require me to swap out my old modem for one supplied by them? It doesn't make sense to me for them to do that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I personally don't care for the Motorola NVG510 modem/router, but AT&T seems ****-bent on forcing everyone to use it.

4 of 4 (489 Views)