Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 9, 2013
8:25:43 PM
View profile
BBC America SD - why black borders around it?

My favorite channel in the Uverse lineup is BBC America.

Too bad its only in SD - but what really bothers me is that the SD picture has very broad black borders around it on my TV. It's the only channel that does that; other SD channels use the whole screen. It's not a scaling issue as logos and the occasional twitter tag are shown inside the border. The borders are on all 4 sides (so it's not letterboxing).

Any idea why they are doing it this way? It uses only 2/3rd of my screen that way...

My favorite channel in the Uverse lineup is BBC America.

Too bad its only in SD - but what really bothers me is that the SD picture has very broad black borders around it on my TV. It's the only channel that does that; other SD channels use the whole screen. It's not a scaling issue as logos and the occasional twitter tag are shown inside the border. The borders are on all 4 sides (so it's not letterboxing).

Any idea why they are doing it this way? It uses only 2/3rd of my screen that way...

BBC America SD - why black borders around it?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 5:35:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
tarantoga - I believe that is the latest technique for using the same picture for both 4:3 and 16:9. It is bad for a 4:3 screen viewer and worse on a 16:9. At some point the broadcaster will decide most 4:3 screens are gone & pump it up to fill the 16:9 screen more.

In the meantime, you should be able to Zoom it up. Press the ZOOM/ENTER button. Arrow down to Zoom & select OK. Pick your size.
tarantoga - I believe that is the latest technique for using the same picture for both 4:3 and 16:9. It is bad for a 4:3 screen viewer and worse on a 16:9. At some point the broadcaster will decide most 4:3 screens are gone & pump it up to fill the 16:9 screen more.

In the meantime, you should be able to Zoom it up. Press the ZOOM/ENTER button. Arrow down to Zoom & select OK. Pick your size.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: BBC America SD - why black borders around it?

2 of 4 (584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 6:19:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

It is because the show is in widescreen, but an SD signal is meant to fit onto a 4:3 screen, so the top and bottom are blacked out to make it fit into a 4:3 screen, and the left and right are caused by the fact that it's a 4:3 picture being shown on a widescreen TV.

It is because the show is in widescreen, but an SD signal is meant to fit onto a 4:3 screen, so the top and bottom are blacked out to make it fit into a 4:3 screen, and the left and right are caused by the fact that it's a 4:3 picture being shown on a widescreen TV.

3 of 4 (501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 12:37:55 PM
(0)
Guru

I called DirecTV today because I can't take having the BBC in SD anymore.  They have a good come back offer.  I may pull the plug on uverse TV over this but I'd have to rewire my house some first.  I've only got CAT5 cable. 

I called DirecTV today because I can't take having the BBC in SD anymore.  They have a good come back offer.  I may pull the plug on uverse TV over this but I'd have to rewire my house some first.  I've only got CAT5 cable. 

4 of 4 (403 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments