Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 7, 2010
9:00:31 AM
View profile
BBC America HD?

What channel is BBC America HD on for U-verse?

What channel is BBC America HD on for U-verse?

BBC America HD?

123 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(123)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2013 2:11:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

enthusiastmvs wrote:

I specifically asked the sales representative for my favorite channels and clarified no less than three times before committing that they would be in HD. Not only did the installation not include HD for which I had to inquire separately, but now I discover that BBC America is not available in HD at all? Had the uVerse representative been honest, I would've chosen the Direct TV I had before, which carried BBC America in beautiful HD. Rats.

Very unhappy new subscriber,

Michael

I am sorry that you had either a dishonest sales representative who would say anything just to make a sale or one who was just uninformed  My guess it was the first type of sales representative.

Do not be so quick to give up on U-Verse. There are so many positive features that way outweigh the negatives. Be patient; I would guess that U-Verse will eventually get BBC America HD.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

enthusiastmvs wrote:

I specifically asked the sales representative for my favorite channels and clarified no less than three times before committing that they would be in HD. Not only did the installation not include HD for which I had to inquire separately, but now I discover that BBC America is not available in HD at all? Had the uVerse representative been honest, I would've chosen the Direct TV I had before, which carried BBC America in beautiful HD. Rats.

Very unhappy new subscriber,

Michael

I am sorry that you had either a dishonest sales representative who would say anything just to make a sale or one who was just uninformed  My guess it was the first type of sales representative.

Do not be so quick to give up on U-Verse. There are so many positive features that way outweigh the negatives. Be patient; I would guess that U-Verse will eventually get BBC America HD.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: BBC America HD

91 of 124 (3,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2013 4:32:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

sccraig wrote:
My fingers are still crossed.

I hope that you fingers don't get locked into that position.  AT&T is the only major provider to not have BBC-HD, according to the matrix on the AVS Forums. 

The HD lead / innovator status that AT&T once had, is gone.  In some markets, TWC and Brighthouse have 160-163 HD channels (Wide + Limited) while U-Verse has 150.

I don't go by the limited, I'd judge by wide, those are the ones everyone will get.  AT&T still has the lead there (though the gap is closing) on the competition. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

dhascall wrote:

sccraig wrote:

I hope that you fingers don't get locked into that position.  AT&T is the only major provider to not have BBC-HD, according to the matrix on the AVS Forums. 

The HD lead / innovator status that AT&T once had, is gone.  In some markets, TWC and Brighthouse have 160-163 HD channels (Wide + Limited) while U-Verse has 150.

I don't go by the limited, I'd judge by wide, those are the ones everyone will get.  AT&T still has the lead there (though the gap is closing) on the competition. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: BBC America HD?

92 of 124 (4,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2013 9:34:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm also interested in watching BBCam for Doctor Who and a few other shows, hope we get it soon...

I'm also interested in watching BBCam for Doctor Who and a few other shows, hope we get it soon...

93 of 124 (4,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 9:14:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

sccraig wrote:

Indeed - Brighthouse is only 2 away @ 148, for the Wide #.

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

sccraig wrote:

Indeed - Brighthouse is only 2 away @ 148, for the Wide #.

94 of 124 (4,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 9:52:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

bright house cable all so have bbc world hd  bein sports fuel tv hd

95 of 124 (4,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 10:53:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

tvnut wrote:

Do what?  Your post makes little sense.  all so?

tvnut wrote:

Do what?  Your post makes little sense.  all so?

96 of 124 (4,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 12:33:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

do you have a link to the AVS Forum that has all the channels that your referring to?

thanks

do you have a link to the AVS Forum that has all the channels that your referring to?

thanks

97 of 124 (4,117 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 2:20:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

heyyofan wrote:

thanks

Here you go!

heyyofan wrote:

thanks

Here you go!

98 of 124 (4,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2013 5:15:03 PM
(0)
Teacher
I wouldn't blame the sales reps so quickly. The U-Verse demo in store includes programming, only available on BBC America (specifically Top Gear) _IN_HD_. After playing with the demo my family was very disappointed to learn that BBC America is actually in SD only.

Demoing BBC America in HD in store is a bit dishonest IMHO.
I wouldn't blame the sales reps so quickly. The U-Verse demo in store includes programming, only available on BBC America (specifically Top Gear) _IN_HD_. After playing with the demo my family was very disappointed to learn that BBC America is actually in SD only.

99 of 124 (3,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 9:33:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rtphokie wrote:

I doubt they had the actual channel in HD. I wonder if it was an upconvered video or it was the regular BBC America SD channel stretched to fit the entire TV.

If I move, wouldn't I want to research the house and neighborhood I'd be moving to?

If I buy a new card, wouldn't I want to research the actual car (VIN #) and make/model of the car?

If I switch TV providers, why wouldn't I research that?

rtphokie wrote:

I doubt they had the actual channel in HD. I wonder if it was an upconvered video or it was the regular BBC America SD channel stretched to fit the entire TV.

If I move, wouldn't I want to research the house and neighborhood I'd be moving to?

If I buy a new card, wouldn't I want to research the actual car (VIN #) and make/model of the car?

100 of 124 (3,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 11:26:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jun 28, 2013 at 11:27:56 AM

baseballisback wrote:

rtphokie wrote:

Yup, switching TV providers is not a trivial exercise.  There are channel guides available.  I do not feel bad for new customers who fail to do some basic research.  I chuckle and/or throw up, a little in my mouth every time I read "they assured me" or "they guaranteed me" line about U-Verse carrying certain channels.  I counter, did you get that guarantee, in writing?

As well, BBC SD looks far better than most cable providers BBCA SD.  So maybe the poster thought it was HD.

baseballisback wrote:

rtphokie wrote:

Yup, switching TV providers is not a trivial exercise.  There are channel guides available.  I do not feel bad for new customers who fail to do some basic research.  I chuckle and/or throw up, a little in my mouth every time I read "they assured me" or "they guaranteed me" line about U-Verse carrying certain channels.  I counter, did you get that guarantee, in writing?

As well, BBC SD looks far better than most cable providers BBCA SD.  So maybe the poster thought it was HD.

[ Edited ]
101 of 124 (3,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 7:18:26 AM
(0)
Guru

I've given up hope after all this time.  Let's just all agree AT&T will never carry the channel.

It's easy enough to stream BBC content from other sources

I've given up hope after all this time.  Let's just all agree AT&T will never carry the channel.

102 of 124 (3,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 7:50:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

michail77 wrote:

Rule 1 - Never say never.

Rule 2 - In the case of "not possible," in this day and age, it probably is possible. It appears you've found this out. Smiley Happy

michail77 wrote:

Rule 2 - In the case of "not possible," in this day and age, it probably is possible. It appears you've found this out. Smiley Happy

103 of 124 (3,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 10:21:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

michail77 wrote:

At this point, BBC America is more likely to go the way of Hallmark and NHL than get the HD channel added.

michail77 wrote:

At this point, BBC America is more likely to go the way of Hallmark and NHL than get the HD channel added.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

104 of 124 (3,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 7:14:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

michail77 wrote:

Why would you say that BBC America is more likely to be eliminated? Do you have a link that indicates this happening? The contract with BBC America was set to expire last month. As of now, it is still on the air. To me that indicates that either a new contract has been agreed upon or the two sides are still talking after the expiration of the old contract.

With Hallmark and the NHL Network, the channels were pulled immediately at the end of the existing contract.

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

michail77 wrote:

Why would you say that BBC America is more likely to be eliminated? Do you have a link that indicates this happening? The contract with BBC America was set to expire last month. As of now, it is still on the air. To me that indicates that either a new contract has been agreed upon or the two sides are still talking after the expiration of the old contract.

With Hallmark and the NHL Network, the channels were pulled immediately at the end of the existing contract.

105 of 124 (3,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 7:32:31 AM
(0)
Scholar
I agree dwinth i don't think BBC is nothing like Crown Media i don't think Uverse will drop the channel they will just keep it in SD if they can't get the HD version .
I agree dwinth i don't think BBC is nothing like Crown Media i don't think Uverse will drop the channel they will just keep it in SD if they can't get the HD version .

106 of 124 (3,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 11:57:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

dwinth wrote:

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

michail77 wrote:

I'm not saying that will happen.  I'm just saying it's more likely that would happen than U-verse adding the HD channel.  This is just my way of expressing frustration with U-verse for being the only provider that doesn't offer BBC America in HD.

dwinth wrote:

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

michail77 wrote:

I'm not saying that will happen.  I'm just saying it's more likely that would happen than U-verse adding the HD channel.  This is just my way of expressing frustration with U-verse for being the only provider that doesn't offer BBC America in HD.

iPhone 5S Verizon Wireless

107 of 124 (3,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2013 12:52:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I feel that the most likely scenario is that U-Verse will keep BBC America SD, and add BBC America HD sometime in the future.

I feel that the most likely scenario is that U-Verse will keep BBC America SD, and add BBC America HD sometime in the future.

108 of 124 (3,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:33:44 PM
(0)
Voyager

I switched from Comcast to uverse about 6 months back. I like the service but really miss my bbc America in hd. They have great programming (ripper street, copper, dr who, ....). I also understand they are coming out with some need programs. I see comments about this going back years. Is there some place to register a request/complaint.

I switched from Comcast to uverse about 6 months back. I like the service but really miss my bbc America in hd. They have great programming (ripper street, copper, dr who, ....). I also understand they are coming out with some need programs. I see comments about this going back years. Is there some place to register a request/complaint.

109 of 124 (2,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:38:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Erica1 wrote:

Make your request here: http://uversechannels.att.com/

AT&T is fully aware that it's subscribers would like to have BBC America HD, but it would not hurt for you to make your request on the above link.

Erica1 wrote:

Make your request here: http://uversechannels.att.com/

AT&T is fully aware that it's subscribers would like to have BBC America HD, but it would not hurt for you to make your request on the above link.

110 of 124 (2,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 7:43:05 AM
(0)
Guru

I don't even consider SD channels to be countable in lineup anymore.  So IMHO, U-verse does not carry BBC America. 

I don't even consider SD channels to be countable in lineup anymore.  So IMHO, U-verse does not carry BBC America. 

111 of 124 (2,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 8:10:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

michail77 wrote:

How about WE-TV?  You gotta count WE or you're missing Bridezillas.  Smiley Tongue

michail77 wrote:

How about WE-TV?  You gotta count WE or you're missing Bridezillas.  Smiley Tongue

112 of 124 (2,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 8:13:00 AM
(0)
Guru

baseballisback wrote:

michail77 wrote:

My intention was to say never and then have it backfire on me.  I'll take looking a fool if I can get BBC in HD.

baseballisback wrote:

michail77 wrote:

My intention was to say never and then have it backfire on me.  I'll take looking a fool if I can get BBC in HD.

113 of 124 (2,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 8:20:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

Don't forgot about the now-popular, "The salesman was not authorized to make that offer."

I too am a Comcast convert - not so much for the cost, but (a) because where I live, Comcast packs so many channels into its line that some channels (CNN HD, especially) froze on a regular basis, and (b) I needed to upgrade my Internet from 1.5M DSL, and U-Verse was less prone to slowdowns caused by neighbors sharing a cable internet stream.  Yes, U-Verse has its problems (for example, it has now been 18 months since it dropped WWE Classics On Demand, and it's still under the impression that WWE Network is going to start up Real Soon Now, despite the fact that the one place you would expect announcements about it - on WWE programming - doesn't even mention it), but what service doesn't?  (Satellite?  Tell me that during the next reasonably heavy rainstorm.  OTA? It's not the 1970s any more; tell me where CNN 24/7 OTA is located.)

dhascall wrote:

Don't forgot about the now-popular, "The salesman was not authorized to make that offer."

I too am a Comcast convert - not so much for the cost, but (a) because where I live, Comcast packs so many channels into its line that some channels (CNN HD, especially) froze on a regular basis, and (b) I needed to upgrade my Internet from 1.5M DSL, and U-Verse was less prone to slowdowns caused by neighbors sharing a cable internet stream.  Yes, U-Verse has its problems (for example, it has now been 18 months since it dropped WWE Classics On Demand, and it's still under the impression that WWE Network is going to start up Real Soon Now, despite the fact that the one place you would expect announcements about it - on WWE programming - doesn't even mention it), but what service doesn't?  (Satellite?  Tell me that during the next reasonably heavy rainstorm.  OTA? It's not the 1970s any more; tell me where CNN 24/7 OTA is located.)

114 of 124 (2,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 10:59:11 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LoveHD on Aug 2, 2013 at 11:00:37 AM

Smiley Frustrated

Perhaps the delay for BBC America HD (which would apparently be on ch. 1188) is AT&T U-verse waiting on current contract to expire. I don't know; but I'm willing to make that guess. Along with (if they ever) return[s] of Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel, and NHL Network, it seems the linear high definition is greatly overdue but will come through. I'm sorry it's been taking so long.

Smiley Frustrated

Perhaps the delay for BBC America HD (which would apparently be on ch. 1188) is AT&T U-verse waiting on current contract to expire. I don't know; but I'm willing to make that guess. Along with (if they ever) return[s] of Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel, and NHL Network, it seems the linear high definition is greatly overdue but will come through. I'm sorry it's been taking so long.

[ Edited ]
115 of 124 (2,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 7:16:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

LoveHD wrote:

Smiley Frustrated

According to several threads, it appears as if the channel has been up for renewal several times in the past 8-12 months.

LoveHD wrote:

Smiley Frustrated

According to several threads, it appears as if the channel has been up for renewal several times in the past 8-12 months.

116 of 124 (2,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 10:51:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Very frustratring, if I had noticed the lack of an HD version of BBC America when I ordered the service I would have skipped Uverse and called Comcast. I would gladly trade 90% of the other HD channels for BBC America HD.  How many times can we request a channel on their website?

Very frustratring, if I had noticed the lack of an HD version of BBC America when I ordered the service I would have skipped Uverse and called Comcast. I would gladly trade 90% of the other HD channels for BBC America HD.  How many times can we request a channel on their website?

117 of 124 (1,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 8:03:31 PM
(0)
Explorer

I'm sure there have been more than enough requests for this popular channel in HD. Appear to be a "on the cheap" move bu U-verse.

I'm sure there have been more than enough requests for this popular channel in HD. Appear to be a "on the cheap" move bu U-verse.

118 of 124 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 8:53:21 AM
(0)
Explorer
I know you are just venting but if this channel is one you would want over 90% of the HD channels out there why in the world would you not double/triple check that this channel is part of the UVerse HD lineup? Another good resource to use is http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462894/official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-upda... which lists all of the HD channels for all of the major cable/satellite providers.
I know you are just venting but if this channel is one you would want over 90% of the HD channels out there why in the world would you not double/triple check that this channel is part of the UVerse HD lineup? Another good resource to use is http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462894/official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-8-20-13 which lists all of the HD channels for all of the major cable/satellite providers.

119 of 124 (1,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:59:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LoveHD on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:00:32 PM

guest writes, "I'm sure there have been more than enough requests for this popular channel in HD. Appear to be a "on the cheap" move bu U-verse."

I think that second sentence is not out of the realm of the actual reason why BBC America hasn't yet been added in HD by AT&T U-verse. Though "on the cheap" may be considered a slap, it may explain why any provider of cable television programming is slow to add the high definition of a given programmer like BBC America. As if the company is waiting for a deal more to its liking.

At this point, I suppose one could play a guessing game as to when he believes AT&T U-verse will finally add BBC America HD to its lineup. (At some point, perhaps, by the end of 2013, no?)

guest writes, "I'm sure there have been more than enough requests for this popular channel in HD. Appear to be a "on the cheap" move bu U-verse."

I think that second sentence is not out of the realm of the actual reason why BBC America hasn't yet been added in HD by AT&T U-verse. Though "on the cheap" may be considered a slap, it may explain why any provider of cable television programming is slow to add the high definition of a given programmer like BBC America. As if the company is waiting for a deal more to its liking.

At this point, I suppose one could play a guessing game as to when he believes AT&T U-verse will finally add BBC America HD to its lineup. (At some point, perhaps, by the end of 2013, no?)

[ Edited ]
120 of 124 (1,237 Views)