Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 7, 2010
9:00:31 AM
View profile
BBC America HD?

What channel is BBC America HD on for U-verse?

What channel is BBC America HD on for U-verse?

BBC America HD?

123 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(123)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 9:20:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

Not available in HD yet.

Not available in HD yet.

Re: BBC America HD?

2 of 124 (49,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 9:28:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

When/if it arrives, it will be 1188.  My fingers are crossed it won't be too long.  My understanding is that while BBC America HD has been available for over a year, only Dish Network and Time Warner (and Time Warner's carriage, I think, is only for New York) carry it.

When/if it arrives, it will be 1188.  My fingers are crossed it won't be too long.  My understanding is that while BBC America HD has been available for over a year, only Dish Network and Time Warner (and Time Warner's carriage, I think, is only for New York) carry it.

3 of 124 (49,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 9:48:03 AM
(0)
Guru

Go here and add a request.

http://uversechannels.att.com/

You'll have to do a write in as they don't distinguish their omission of HD channels when it's available in SD.  

If enough of us voice interest they might listen. I'd also give a call.

On an interesting side note, DirecTV had BBCA briefly listed as BBCA HD in their guide last week.  Got everyones hopes up but it appeared to just be an accident.

Go here and add a request.

You'll have to do a write in as they don't distinguish their omission of HD channels when it's available in SD.  

If enough of us voice interest they might listen. I'd also give a call.

On an interesting side note, DirecTV had BBCA briefly listed as BBCA HD in their guide last week.  Got everyones hopes up but it appeared to just be an accident.

4 of 124 (49,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 1:39:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

How about BBCA On Demand?   We just switched to U-Verse and BBCA On Demand was one of the things I thought I was getting.  I verified that BBCA was in the channel lineup and all of the literature said On Demand was included.   On Demand is important with BBCA because the shows on the broadcast are not the same as the original programs in the UK.  There are no ads on BBC so when the shows are broadcast here, 10-12 minutes are removed to make room for the ads.   On Demand shows the full programs as they were broadcast in the UK

Why isn't BBCA On Demand available to U-verse subscribers?

How about BBCA On Demand?   We just switched to U-Verse and BBCA On Demand was one of the things I thought I was getting.  I verified that BBCA was in the channel lineup and all of the literature said On Demand was included.   On Demand is important with BBCA because the shows on the broadcast are not the same as the original programs in the UK.  There are no ads on BBC so when the shows are broadcast here, 10-12 minutes are removed to make room for the ads.   On Demand shows the full programs as they were broadcast in the UK

Why isn't BBCA On Demand available to U-verse subscribers?

5 of 124 (49,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 2:09:34 PM
(0)
Guru

I've wondered why none of the carriers seem to do a good job with the BBC network.  Are they asking too much money?

Outside of anything sports related it's one of the most complained about channels for access/availability.

I've wondered why none of the carriers seem to do a good job with the BBC network.  Are they asking too much money?

Outside of anything sports related it's one of the most complained about channels for access/availability.

6 of 124 (49,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 12:25:35 PM
(0)
Guru

athenian wrote:

On Demand is important with BBCA because the shows on the broadcast are not the same as the original programs in the UK.  There are no ads on BBC so when the shows are broadcast here, 10-12 minutes are removed to make room for the ads.  

That's not strictly true.  BBC shows often are not 60 minutes long (for example), or even close (e.g. Doctor Who and Torchwood run about 46 min, usually), so in an hour timeslot little or no editing is required to fit the commercials.

But I do agree that having BBCA on demand would be nice.  I, however, would consider BBCA HD more urgent (but hey, to each his or her own).

athenian wrote:

On Demand is important with BBCA because the shows on the broadcast are not the same as the original programs in the UK.  There are no ads on BBC so when the shows are broadcast here, 10-12 minutes are removed to make room for the ads.  

That's not strictly true.  BBC shows often are not 60 minutes long (for example), or even close (e.g. Doctor Who and Torchwood run about 46 min, usually), so in an hour timeslot little or no editing is required to fit the commercials.

But I do agree that having BBCA on demand would be nice.  I, however, would consider BBCA HD more urgent (but hey, to each his or her own).

7 of 124 (49,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 1:03:46 PM
(0)
Guru

U-verse doesn't carry much on-demand.  If we did get BBCA HD I doubt the VOD would come with that.

U-verse doesn't carry much on-demand.  If we did get BBCA HD I doubt the VOD would come with that.

8 of 124 (49,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 2:37:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

BBC HD is one of the most asked for channels that I have read about.

BBC HD is one of the most asked for channels that I have read about.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 124 (49,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 6:09:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ok, it is 1 year today since Dish, Time Warner and Cox got BBC America HD. Come on AT&T it is time for Uverse!!

Ok, it is 1 year today since Dish, Time Warner and Cox got BBC America HD. Come on AT&T it is time for Uverse!!

10 of 124 (48,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 6:11:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can make a channel request using the link below.

You can make a channel request using the link below.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 124 (46,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 7:05:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

WowSmiley Surprised

WowSmiley Surprised

12 of 124 (46,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 5:29:27 AM
(0)
Professor

right now BBC HD is only available in Latin America or so I am told

right now BBC HD is only available in Latin America or so I am told

13 of 124 (45,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 6:24:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

Not only does COMCAST have BBCHD, now they are getting BBC WORLD NEWS:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/business/media/bbc-world-news-to-be-available-through-comcast.html...

U-verse continues toi fall behind.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/business/media/bbc-world-news-to-be-available-through-comcast.html?_r=1

14 of 124 (45,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 6:27:51 AM
(0)
Professor

It is no big deal

It is no big deal

15 of 124 (45,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 6:48:59 AM
(0)
Guru

dian1950 wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/business/media/bbc-world-news-to-be-available-through-comcast.html...

Not really AT&T's fault. Besides, Comcast only added BBC America HD within the past year -- they dragged their feet to make it available.

Understand, also, that BBC America and BBC World are distributed/managed here in North America by Discovery Networks. Up until Comcast agreed to do wide distribution, BBC World was only on Cablevision in NYC, and even the satellite guys didn't pick it up. Only recently has it popped up on some Time Warner/Brighthouse systems.

The BBC is becoming less and less of a powerhouse worldwide than they were years ago. Cable companies across Europe have dropped a number of their channels or made them part of their own top-tier. Outside of the UK, BBC has to get funding through advertising and merchandising. And here in the US, BBC Worldwide makes most of its money by selling their programs to PBS. Have you seen how hard it's been for PBS stations to raise funds/get viewers in recent years?

There are a few more international news channels that are better than BBC World that would be better (and probably cheaper) adds: EuroNews, SKY News, France 24. All of those are available in English and paint a better picture of what's going on in the world than BBC World or the significantly watered-down CNN International we currently get.

dian1950 wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/business/media/bbc-world-news-to-be-available-through-comcast.html?_r=1

Not really AT&T's fault. Besides, Comcast only added BBC America HD within the past year -- they dragged their feet to make it available.

Understand, also, that BBC America and BBC World are distributed/managed here in North America by Discovery Networks. Up until Comcast agreed to do wide distribution, BBC World was only on Cablevision in NYC, and even the satellite guys didn't pick it up. Only recently has it popped up on some Time Warner/Brighthouse systems.

The BBC is becoming less and less of a powerhouse worldwide than they were years ago. Cable companies across Europe have dropped a number of their channels or made them part of their own top-tier. Outside of the UK, BBC has to get funding through advertising and merchandising. And here in the US, BBC Worldwide makes most of its money by selling their programs to PBS. Have you seen how hard it's been for PBS stations to raise funds/get viewers in recent years?

There are a few more international news channels that are better than BBC World that would be better (and probably cheaper) adds: EuroNews, SKY News, France 24. All of those are available in English and paint a better picture of what's going on in the world than BBC World or the significantly watered-down CNN International we currently get.

16 of 124 (45,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 8:26:55 AM
(0)
Guru

jbdet313 wrote:

dian1950 wrote:

Dish network carries both BBC HD and Euronews.

Direc tv added BBC HD to Latin America subs only.

I guess they are saving money??? Silly not to make it available stateside.

As far as the ohter News stations. Most of them can be seen on Roku. Id perfer satelite or

Uverse but it seems the only way to get them as of now.

jbdet313 wrote:

dian1950 wrote:

Dish network carries both BBC HD and Euronews.

Direc tv added BBC HD to Latin America subs only.

I guess they are saving money??? Silly not to make it available stateside.

As far as the ohter News stations. Most of them can be seen on Roku. Id perfer satelite or

Uverse but it seems the only way to get them as of now.

17 of 124 (45,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 2:55:00 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jbdet313 on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:58:40 PM

Before this gets more confusing, BBC HD is NOT available anywhere outside of Europe.

This Wikipedia link shows all of the BBC's international services.

BBC World News is available everywhere around the world except the UK. BBC World News is NOT currently available in HD that I have seen -- even in their close-to-home markets in Europe.

Before this gets more confusing, BBC HD is NOT available anywhere outside of Europe.

This Wikipedia link shows all of the BBC's international services.

BBC World News is available everywhere around the world except the UK. BBC World News is NOT currently available in HD that I have seen -- even in their close-to-home markets in Europe.

[ Edited ]
18 of 124 (45,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 3:52:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

People also have to realize that there is a difference between BBC and BBC America.

People also have to realize that there is a difference between BBC and BBC America.

19 of 124 (45,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2012 5:23:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Of all the rather marginal channels on UVERSE HD, I would like to request that BBC America HD be added quickly!  It has more original content than many of these channels that just constitute up rezzed old TV shows.  Thank you.

Of all the rather marginal channels on UVERSE HD, I would like to request that BBC America HD be added quickly!  It has more original content than many of these channels that just constitute up rezzed old TV shows.  Thank you.

20 of 124 (45,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2012 6:44:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

sotolux wrote:

Make your request using AT&T's channel request web site.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

sotolux wrote:

Make your request using AT&T's channel request web site.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

21 of 124 (45,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2012 4:43:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've been requesting BBC America HD for months. Good luck with that.

I've been requesting BBC America HD for months. Good luck with that.

22 of 124 (45,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2012 8:41:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

According to Wikipedia :

"BBC America HD, a 1080i high definition simulcast version of BBC America, is carried nationally by Dish Network and regionally on Time Warner Cable, Cox Communication and some smaller providers."

According to Wikipedia :

"BBC America HD, a 1080i high definition simulcast version of BBC America, is carried nationally by Dish Network and regionally on Time Warner Cable, Cox Communication and some smaller providers."

23 of 124 (45,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2012 5:39:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

sotolux wrote:

Marginal?  What marginal channels?  AT&T UVerse has more HD channels than ANY other provider.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

sotolux wrote:

Marginal?  What marginal channels?  AT&T UVerse has more HD channels than ANY other provider.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

24 of 124 (45,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 12:12:47 PM
(0)
Contributor
Dish has been carrying BBC America HD for almost 4 years now, that I know of--and I know, because I had their HD package for 3-1/2 of those recent years, and I chose that package over everyone else's because of the inclusion of BBCA-HD, and SpeedHD.

There is absolutely NO reason for AT&T to not carry ANY HD channel available or requested--and given the explosion of popularity of BBCA-HD, especially TopGear in Hd, it should be an absolute no-brainier for AT&T to add them to the channel line-up, immediately,

Had I known I'd be without TG in HD, I would've found a way to get Dish again instead.
Dish has been carrying BBC America HD for almost 4 years now, that I know of--and I know, because I had their HD package for 3-1/2 of those recent years, and I chose that package over everyone else's because of the inclusion of BBCA-HD, and SpeedHD.

There is absolutely NO reason for AT&T to not carry ANY HD channel available or requested--and given the explosion of popularity of BBCA-HD, especially TopGear in Hd, it should be an absolute no-brainier for AT&T to add them to the channel line-up, immediately,

Had I known I'd be without TG in HD, I would've found a way to get Dish again instead.

25 of 124 (45,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 12:58:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Jandmp wrote:

Wow!  Your information is so incorrect.  First, BBC America HD did not come into existence until July 2009 (i.e. 2 years and 9 months ago).  Second, Dish Network did not add the channel to it's lineup until February 2010 (i.e. 2 years and 2 months ago).

Jandmp wrote:

Wow!  Your information is so incorrect.  First, BBC America HD did not come into existence until July 2009 (i.e. 2 years and 9 months ago).  Second, Dish Network did not add the channel to it's lineup until February 2010 (i.e. 2 years and 2 months ago).

26 of 124 (45,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2012 2:55:05 PM
(0)
Guru

Comcast Now Carry BBC America HD and the SF/Sacramento/Northern Calfiornia Markets. ATT need get on Board and add BBC America HD

Comcast Now Carry BBC America HD and the SF/Sacramento/Northern Calfiornia Markets. ATT need get on Board and add BBC America HD

Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

27 of 124 (45,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 7:18:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

I will note that DirecTV also does not carry BBC America HD.

I will note that DirecTV also does not carry BBC America HD.

28 of 124 (45,434 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2012 11:33:47 AM
(0)
Observer

When will ATT- Uverse add BBCA to the HD channels?  I almost changed to Cox Communnications so I could have BBCA in HD.

When will ATT- Uverse add BBCA to the HD channels?  I almost changed to Cox Communnications so I could have BBCA in HD.

BBC America HD

29 of 124 (27,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2012 11:52:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Please use the link below to make your channel requests.

Please use the link below to make your channel requests.

Re: BBC America HD

30 of 124 (27,113 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments