Auto-Pay is required to keep my service?!?!?!?!

Contributor

Auto-Pay is required to keep my service?!?!?!?!

I have used U-Verse's Auto-Pay feature and more than once the draft was not completed so I discontinued it and am paying my bill manually.  I just received a call from an AT&T operator stating that they're going to discontinue my TV service unless I sign up for Auto-Pay again.  I told her that the Auto-Pay service is unreliable and I pay my bills manually so why in the world would they cancel my service?  She said that it is just a requirement.  How can a company have a year long contract they can hold me to yet they can threaten to cancel my service for PAYING MY BILL MANUALLY, ON TIME?  Or is this a scam?!  This is ridiculous.  I'm not a happy camper right now.

Message 1 of 6 (604 Views)
Employee

Re: Auto-Pay is required to keep my service?!?!?!?!

did they ask for info in order to start up autopay? credit card, account or SS number? im leaning towards a scam  i dont do auto pay and never received anything stating this to be true

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (585 Views)
Employee

Most likley being on autopay was a requirement when you initially started service. For all new service, we perform a credit check. When that credit check comes back, we are given categories. If a customer falls into a certain category, no advanced payments are due, but are required to set up on autopay as a result of the credit check. Chances are you fell into that category.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6 (559 Views)
ACE - Professor

blsautter wrote:

I have used U-Verse's Auto-Pay feature and more than once the draft was not completed so I discontinued it and am paying my bill manually.  I just received a call from an AT&T operator stating that they're going to discontinue my TV service unless I sign up for Auto-Pay again.  I told her that the Auto-Pay service is unreliable and I pay my bills manually so why in the world would they cancel my service?  She said that it is just a requirement.  How can a company have a year long contract they can hold me to yet they can threaten to cancel my service for PAYING MY BILL MANUALLY, ON TIME?  Or is this a scam?!  This is ridiculous.  I'm not a happy camper right now.

As lilybug said, the auto-pay enrollment was likely a requirement due to credit.

Why not simply readd the autopay info, but pay manually a week before it's due so you know the bill's paid, yet you still meet the requirement?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (538 Views)
Scholar

Sounds like AT&T has a pretty good alternative there to those with not-so-good credit to not need to pay $450 (or whatever it is) upfront with the Autopay method, however if the system doesn't work, AT&T can't necessarily use that as their primary reason to turn off service.

Another alternative could be to pay in-person at an "official" (i.e. Corporate-owned) AT&T wireless store's payment kiosk.  Your payment is almost immediately visible in the billing system by AT&T, especially if you pay in cash.  Corporate locations via the AT&T main site are marked with orange pins on the map.

It's important to note that when paying "manually", as you term it, at a grocery store, party store, or other place that says, "Sure, you can pay your AT&T bill here" (for a minimal fee) that it can take UP TO 7 DAYS before it makes its way to AT&T.  Most of those places will have that disclaimer on the receipt, but I've yet to see a sign (of some sort) posted for customers to read *before* they make a payment.

If you do pay your bill at an AT&T Corporate store ON TIME for a period of 3 months or more, I don't see that AT&T would have a major problem.  However, you would need to make those arrangements with them via telephone support.  Write down the pertinent information from the call (agent's name, time started, time ended, summary of conversation) just in case anything comes up later.

Message 5 of 6 (531 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

vid30jk wrote:

If you do pay your bill at an AT&T Corporate store ON TIME for a period of 3 months or more, I don't see that AT&T would have a major problem.  However, you would need to make those arrangements with them via telephone support.  Write down the pertinent information from the call (agent's name, time started, time ended, summary of conversation) just in case anything comes up later.

Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. If a card on file is required, it is required. 

Also, the card on file is for customer's who have "questionable" (for lack of a better word) credit; it is a "lower ranking" than those who required the Non-refundable credit fee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (516 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.