Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 4, 2013
2:06:21 PM
Audio and Video out of Sync

It really only happends on local programming, and will get worse the longer I watch it.  Was on local news channel, and got the end of the hour show, and was over 1-2 sec out of sync.  I called tech support and they sent out a tech today.  We talked a little and he made it sound as "it is what it is" and there really is no fix for it.

Any ideas?

Network tv seems to be ok.  I have tried to hook up the tv via the coax cable, and also direclty to the box outside via a cat 5 cable.  All is the same.

It really only happends on local programming, and will get worse the longer I watch it.  Was on local news channel, and got the end of the hour show, and was over 1-2 sec out of sync.  I called tech support and they sent out a tech today.  We talked a little and he made it sound as "it is what it is" and there really is no fix for it.

Any ideas?

Network tv seems to be ok.  I have tried to hook up the tv via the coax cable, and also direclty to the box outside via a cat 5 cable.  All is the same.

Audio and Video out of Sync

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 2:24:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have some questions for you about this, if I may:

1. Recorded or live (or both)
  2. HD or SD channel
  3. if HD, is your TV Receiver configured for Stereo or Digital?
  4. Is your TV Receiver connected directly to your TV or to Home Theater Receiver/Amplifier?
  5. How is your TV Receiver cabled to the TV/Home Theater (HDMI, fiber optic, stereo RCA)?
  6. All local channels, or just one?

I have some questions for you about this, if I may:

1. Recorded or live (or both)
  2. HD or SD channel
  3. if HD, is your TV Receiver configured for Stereo or Digital?
  4. Is your TV Receiver connected directly to your TV or to Home Theater Receiver/Amplifier?
  5. How is your TV Receiver cabled to the TV/Home Theater (HDMI, fiber optic, stereo RCA)?
  6. All local channels, or just one?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Audio and Video out of Sync

2 of 8 (2,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 2:31:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:32:02 PM

If it's only on local programming I would suspect it's the feed being handed off to AT&T from your local stations, OR it could be defective equipment at AT&T where they receive the feed and put in in the Uverse system.  No matter what, I would contact your local station/stations your having the problem with and let them work out the problem with AT&T.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

If it's only on local programming I would suspect it's the feed being handed off to AT&T from your local stations, OR it could be defective equipment at AT&T where they receive the feed and put in in the Uverse system.  No matter what, I would contact your local station/stations your having the problem with and let them work out the problem with AT&T.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (2,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 3:05:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Live for sure - I watch the news each night at 9:00pm

HD Channel

Digital

Have tried it both ways

HDMI

All local - and sometimes cable channels.  Like right now watching Dual Survial and its doing it.  Not as bad, but it's there.

Live for sure - I watch the news each night at 9:00pm

HD Channel

Digital

Have tried it both ways

HDMI

All local - and sometimes cable channels.  Like right now watching Dual Survial and its doing it.  Not as bad, but it's there.

4 of 8 (2,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 3:06:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Not going to contact all my local stations - that would just be dumb. It has to be a ATT thing, as I never had this over Time Warner, DirecTV or OTA.
Not going to contact all my local stations - that would just be dumb. It has to be a ATT thing, as I never had this over Time Warner, DirecTV or OTA.

5 of 8 (2,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 3:38:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:28:54 PM

primeomega - I did not see your answer of whether or not a Home theater/amp is involved. I am thinking it is possible something is decoding a surround signal & is getting slower and slower. Most TVs do not do surround. But, some do. Make sure the U-verse audio option is on stereo & check your TV for similar, Also, some TVs have an option to synch audio& video.

primeomega - I did not see your answer of whether or not a Home theater/amp is involved. I am thinking it is possible something is decoding a surround signal & is getting slower and slower. Most TVs do not do surround. But, some do. Make sure the U-verse audio option is on stereo & check your TV for similar, Also, some TVs have an option to synch audio& video.

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (2,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 3:39:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do you have any neighbors, friends, or family that are close that you can ask them if they are seeing the same behavior?

And no it's not dumb to call your local stations IF it was only on those stations.  You added in a different post later it was also "some" cable channels too.

I have a phone system at our local Fox affiliate and when I first got Uverse I was having issues on their channel.  I talked to the engineer at the station and the worked with AT&T to "clean up" the feed they were sending and AT&T was receiving.  I don't remember what they "tweaked" but it's been fine ever since.  So no it's not dumb.  I hope you get you issue resolved.  Good luck

Do you have any neighbors, friends, or family that are close that you can ask them if they are seeing the same behavior?

And no it's not dumb to call your local stations IF it was only on those stations.  You added in a different post later it was also "some" cable channels too.

I have a phone system at our local Fox affiliate and when I first got Uverse I was having issues on their channel.  I talked to the engineer at the station and the worked with AT&T to "clean up" the feed they were sending and AT&T was receiving.  I don't remember what they "tweaked" but it's been fine ever since.  So no it's not dumb.  I hope you get you issue resolved.  Good luck

7 of 8 (2,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 4:41:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As a troubleshooting step, try switching from digital audio to stereo audio to see if that fixes it (i'm betting it will).

It's likely there is a digital audio encoding that your local stations use that most other programs don't that is causing this to fall out of sync.

Which set top box do you have? (i.e. model number)

As a troubleshooting step, try switching from digital audio to stereo audio to see if that fixes it (i'm betting it will).

It's likely there is a digital audio encoding that your local stations use that most other programs don't that is causing this to fall out of sync.

Which set top box do you have? (i.e. model number)

8 of 8 (2,269 Views)