Are you getting what are you paying for?

Contributor

Are you getting what are you paying for?

Hi

As busy as i am, checking internet speed is something that rarely ( you could say never ) cross my mind. Last night I did it!

Since this February I upgraded my speed from 6 to 12 MB. As I was assured from people at AT&T that 12  MB was the speed that I was getting I did not do any reasrches regarding that. As wireless dependant I could understand 1 MB lost in air but when I saw the speed last night at 8.2MB I was worried that somebody is "steeling" my wireless. It wasn't a case. So therefore I schaduled tech. to come out and check what is problem. After he checked my equipment, he steped out side so he can check AT&T lines. After some time he shows up and explain to me that the whole problem is actualy with cables that are  bringing signal to my building. The cables did not have posability to deliver that much amount of data.

Hm so I was actualy paying more form something that i was not geting? Is it fair to ask for refund for period of time since I get "NEW" service? I try today for 2 h with wery ignorant people trying to explain me that other tech will come out tomorrow, that he will give me one time refunde of $5 ( realy), and other nonsenses.

I would like to hear what are you thinking about situation.

Message 1 of 3 (329 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Are you getting what are you paying for?

AT&T (like all providers)  is careful to advertise their speed tiers as "uip to Xmb". So your speed is up to 12 mbps.

Honestly, 8.2 mbps for wireless doesn't sound unreasonable at all. It is still considerably faster than the 6 mbps max you would have at the lower tier.

Have you tested to see what speed you get with a wired connection?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3 (308 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Are you getting what are you paying for?

Hardwired speeds are what count as so many variables beyond control can affect wireless.

The speeds identified at are Service Capability Speeds, which are the downstream rates at which your line transfers Internet access data between the network interface device at your home, office or apartment building to the first piece of routing equipment in AT&T’s network. Service Capability Speeds should not be confused with Throughput Speed, which is the speed at which your modem receives and sends Internet access data (“Throughput Speed”). These speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Throughput speed depends upon many factors including customer location, destination and traffic on the Internet, interference with high frequency spectrum on your telephone line, wiring inside your home, office or apartment, the capacity or performance of your computer or modem, the server with which you are communicating, internal network factors, and the networks you and others are using when communicating. In order to provide a consistently high-quality video service, AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products.

From http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html which your agreed to when activating service(s).
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3 (301 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.