Apartment dead zone

Tutor

Apartment dead zone

I'm trying to figure out why my apartment is such a dead zone for wireless internet and cell phone service. Both of them barely work and it is really annoying. Any help would be great.
Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: Apartment dead zone

Moman003 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why my apartment is such a dead zone for wireless internet and cell phone service. Both of them barely work and it is really annoying. Any help would be great.

Cell phone service depends on the placement of cell towers and the construction of your apartment, and possibly vegitation (trees, etc) near your home.

I'm confused by your "wireless internet" assertion.  Are you expecting some wireless Internet to be available in your apartment via some hotspot that's not in your apartment?  Have you had that in some other apartment?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

My wireless internet through att uverse is based in my living room. Sitting in the same room I have a very weak signal and if I leave the room it doesn't even pick up. I've called att and of course they can't figure out the problem
Message 3 of 13
ACE - Master

Moman003 wrote:
My wireless internet through att uverse is based in my living room. Sitting in the same room I have a very weak signal and if I leave the room it doesn't even pick up. I've called att and of course they can't figure out the problem

With you being in an appartment, there are many possible sources for wifi interference.  You most likely have many neighbors nearby (potentially on or two above or below you, as well as on either side of you which could easily provide interference to your wifi signal  Than means that you could potentially be in the middle of a 5x5 grid and that only includes one side of a hall, and that is only talking about their wifi devices, and not their microwaves, cordless phones, etc.  You may need to adjust the wifi channel on your RG to find one with less interference to give you a better signal.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
Employee

First how is signal strength, if weak need a new RG, if this is a purchased unit (510, 3600, 5031) need to purchase another ($100). A new unit has a one year warranty, if your current purchased RG is less than a year, need to return to ATT by UPS store to determine defective and issue a credit. If RG is more than a year, just buying another RG.

If weak wifi signal using LEASED ($7 per month) call or chat for replacement no charge, current unit will need to be returned or will be billed for non returned equipment.

if strong signal but wireless interference, common in MDU settings... try using app such as Wifi Analyzer or inSSIDer to locate the surrounding units and channels in use. Access the RG (192.168.1.254) set to manual channels and change channel.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 13
Tutor

This is my second RG and I've tried changing the channel. I will download
that program and try it. Thank you for your suggestions.
Message 6 of 13

I'm in the same situation. Just had an agent out here yesterday, he replaced my RG. Changed channels and still it's like I have dial up. I'm supposed to be getting 24mbps. The agent stated everything is fine pon AT&T side. He said it must be interference from my room going to my Apple TV as to why I can't stream Netflix. Odd thing is it wasn't always like this... Just in the last month. Previously it was great.

Message 7 of 13
Tutor

Well I fixed the problem. Went out and bought my own cheap router and sure
enough it works perfectly! Hmmmm....
I will be calling AT&T tomorrow and getting my money back that's for sure.
Message 8 of 13
Employee

Moman003, suspect you bought a dual band router 2.4/5 ghz frequency ranges and are seeing better results on the 5ghz band instead of crowded 2.4 band.

All U-verse routers are 2.4ghz only eveb the newer 589/5031 RGs (b/g/n).

Not sure what money your hoping to get back?
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 13
Teacher

It would be nice if the FCC would open channels 12-14 for 2.4ghz WiFi like many other countries have. Would probably ease some of the crowding issue
Message 10 of 13

I have a newer modem from AT&T should I try using the 5.ghz band and if so how do i change it?

Message 11 of 13
Employee

All ATT Uverse RGs are 2.4ghz only. Desire for 5ghz will need to purchase your own unit and place behind the RG in DMZ or IP passthrough mode.
Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:
All ATT Uverse RGs are 2.4ghz only. Desire for 5ghz will need to purchase your own unit and place behind the RG in DMZ or IP passthrough mode.

Or set it up as an Access Point, and avoid the DMZ+/IP passthrough configuration.

Message 13 of 13
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support