Anyone else having their U-Verse TV skipping or internet speed slow?

Contributor

Anyone else having their U-Verse TV skipping or internet speed slow?

I was wondering before I have someone come out, if anyone else is having problem with AT&T U-verse. For the past week our TV has sometimes skipped and froze for a while and the internet has been really slow lately. Just an hour ago the box (receiver) just reset it's self and it froze the TV's, and cut off someone on the phone. Should I have someone come out or just wait? Thank you.

Message 1 of 38
ACE - Master

Re: Anyone else having their U-Verse TV skipping or internet speed slow?

Have you reset the RG?

It might not help but CS is going to ask you to do that if you call in.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 38
Professor

Try as skeeter suggested first, if you still have issues download and run the Uverse Realtime app here:

http://www.uvrealtime.com/ . Post results for error table, bitload graph, coax / hpna, and  IP profile. Someone will be along to check the stats and advise.

Message 3 of 38
Scholar

It spent about 20 minutes trying to install a new .net framework and eventually crashed. Any other suggestions?

I am having the same issues, but seemingly only in the evening?
Message 4 of 38
Scholar

Scratch that, doing it right now. I'll try to download that program again.
Message 5 of 38
Scholar

Yay, it worked (I didn't read where it said you will get an error when installing)

Message 6 of 38
Scholar

IP

Photobucket

Error Table

Photobucket

Coax

Photobucket

bitload

Photobucket

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 38
Expert

The error table indicates you're getting a lot of disconnects, possibly due to interference on the line or a bridge tap.

You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

A bridge tap is an extra length of wire attached to your pair that doesn't terminate anywhere. It is usually left over from a previous customer that used your pair. Bridge taps cause problems with xDSL services.

You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come find and remove the bridge tap.

Message 8 of 38
Teacher

What area are you in? I'm in the Los Angeles area and yes, I experience your problems plus picture freezing, audio sounds like reverb, pizelation, slow internet downloads (even @ 18mbps wired connection on Win XP, Vista & Win7 PC's) all of problems are intermittent. Unfortunately, AT&T has tried everything (I presume within the ability of prem techs, lineman, tier 2 and management) to resolve the issues to no avail, we have just learned to live with it since the 2nd installation in Feb this year.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 38
Teacher

I meant pixelation...

To briefly elaborate (keep in mind this is a summary, there is so-o much more to this story);

Issues (all intermittent): slow internet connection (I have 6 well maintained PC's with diff flavors of Windows, all have 10/100 except two have gigbit. Two HD TV's 1 standard SST and 1 w/DVR), slow download and connection speeds, STB fails to respond to remote (both boxes), audio problems, dropout and reverb, video glitches, signal loss up to 10 Secs, blue screen on power up...

What we have tried: Had U-verse from May 6-Dec 24, 2010; TWC Nov 27-Dec 6 to compare services; switched to TWC Dec 23, 2010-Feb 13, 2011; dropped TWC and returned to AT&TFeb 12, 2011. Liked AT&T's programming & pricing so I came back.

• During the time with AT&T we have had 22 AT&T personnel including 4 managers come to our place.
  • They have tried wire taps and removing them, attenuators and removing them, replaced all of the Ethernet wires, two 3800 RG's, two 3801's, replaced both STB, replaced cat3 with cat5e; lowering the signal and capping the profile, moved the RG from bedroom to office isolating all equipment with Isobar's; I spend nearly a week isolation troubleshooting to assist in the process.
  • We have ensured that all drivers and service packs are up-to-date; tried various speeds 3, 6, 12 & Mbps except for speed test results all seem to function the same.
  • Have used vtrace, UV realtime, traceroutes and other tools to see if it helps.
  • I have talked to at least 30 csr's and 15 people in billing kudos to this group spent countless hours on the phone being xferred from one dept to another, they eventually take care of you. Be persistent, courteous and patient.
  • Complaint: called 8-26-11 to complain about continued services issues, the CSR promised to send a new 3801 rg "free of charge" and that I could expect delivery in 4 biz days; waiting til the sixth day called to follow-up was told the order had been placed but was canceled the major prob here is No one informed us about the cancellation. I called back and was informed the order had been placed but was cancelled, the CSR did confirm that he could see problems on my line.

Suspecting it was the area manager who cancelled the order, I decided to send a letter to Executive offices in Dallas, 9/8/201. No response from them yet.

Message 10 of 38
Scholar

Thanks for the information.  Sadly, it has only been for the last few weeks, and I cannot think of anything that has changed, unless they did something to the lines out at the street where they feed back to our houses.

They did one year disconnect our line when a nieghbor got new service (that was a debacle, they kept sending 'inside techs' saying it was in our house, eventually they sent an 'outside tech' who figured out during our neighbor's install we were disconnected).

Anywho, anyone have the best number possible to call in for help with this?

Message 11 of 38
Scholar

Friends of our said they've had the same issue for about the same period of time and UVerse told them it was due to a software upgrade a few weeks ago, anyone heard anything about this?
Message 12 of 38
ACE - Expert

Since the whole home DVR was installed many people have reported such problems. Seems like the extra processing strain makes visible faults that previously did not harm the signal enough to cause problems.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 38
Contributor

I've had U-Verse for 5 weeks now and it's been skipping and freezing from day one.  I've called support and they have made a half dozen trips here and they still can't fix it.  I shouldn't have to pay for a TV I can't watch without it freezing up every few minutes.  I was also suppose to get a 300.00 rewards card when I signed up, the rep never put that in even though she said I was getting it.  I've now decided to go back to Optimum since I can no longer deal with the incompetence.  This is my last week with AT&T u-verse and I can't wait to have my old service back. 

Message 14 of 38
Contributor

I am having issues with skipping and freezing as well.  I have restarted the RG and all of our receivers, but it has not corrected the problem.  Can someone take a look at these screen shots and give me a reccommendation?  Thanks.

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 38
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support