Anyone Else Getting Poor Quality HD?

Anyone Else Getting Poor Quality HD?

I just moved to Ohio and signed up for U-Verse. I have noticed that the quality of the HD television is very poor, especially when I watch sports such as baseball or other sports highlights. When the video isn't so busy, it looks mostly fine.

I've moved around quite a bit in recent years and I've been a subscriber to both Cox and Comcast and, despite other issues, their HD quality has always been pretty good on this same TV. Is anyone else having this issue?

I find sports and movie programming nearly unwatchable and I can't believe AT&T has the audacity to charge me an "HD fee" for this poor quality video.

Message 1 of 14 (915 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Anyone Else Getting Poor Quality HD?

beardrivescar - I believe the quality of the HD varies considerably with the source. Also, there are many aspects to what makes up the overall quality.

Do you have the latest release?? - the one with the tips on the press OK screen and the CC on the ENTER button menu.

I have seen some awesome pictures on this release. Also, some not so awesome. Also, some poor when changing scenes. Is that called artifacts??

When I first got U_verse I was kind of disappointed in the HD picture. But, a one-button comparison with OTA showed the same picture.

It is nice when it feels like the on-screen is right in the room. If that feeling is not there, it is just TV. But, I think it is not U-verse that is holding it back.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (907 Views)
ACE - Expert

beardrivescar wrote:

I just moved to Ohio and signed up for U-Verse. I have noticed that the quality of the HD television is very poor, especially when I watch sports such as baseball or other sports highlights. When the video isn't so busy, it looks mostly fine.

I've moved around quite a bit in recent years and I've been a subscriber to both Cox and Comcast and, despite other issues, their HD quality has always been pretty good on this same TV. Is anyone else having this issue?

I find sports and movie programming nearly unwatchable and I can't believe AT&T has the audacity to charge me an "HD fee" for this poor quality video.

I don't have the problems you have under my viewing conditions for more than 5 years:

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma w/an anti reflective screen and 480hz sub field drive. I use 4 different TV picture settings (3 customized, 2 for lightening dark shows/scenes) on HDMI. I sit at the far viewing distance (3 x diagonal distance-10.5') as that's the way my apartment lays out. All cat5e/ethernet patch cable install.

Essentially the artifacts I see are 'football grass' slight movement (1080i) and very rarely backgrounds 'moving slightly'.

In sports, on Uverse, 720p Networks(FOX, ABC/ESPNs) tend to be better than 1080i Networks (CBS, TNT, TBS, all NBC channels) due to the fact the 1080i Networks need 10-20% more bandwidth to be equivalent to 720p. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14 (873 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

mibrnsurg wrote:

beardrivescar wrote:

I don't have the problems you have under my viewing conditions for more than 5 years:

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma w/an anti reflective screen and 480hz sub field drive. I use 4 different TV picture settings (3 customized, 2 for lightening dark shows/scenes) on HDMI. I sit at the far viewing distance (3 x diagonal distance-10.5') as that's the way my apartment lays out. All cat5e/ethernet patch cable install.

Essentially the artifacts I see are 'football grass' slight movement (1080i) and very rarely backgrounds 'moving slightly'.

In sports, on Uverse, 720p Networks(FOX, ABC/ESPNs) tend to be better than 1080i Networks (CBS, TNT, TBS, all NBC channels) due to the fact the 1080i Networks need 10-20% more bandwidth to be equivalent to 720p. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

I had the grass swim effect on Dish also. I think it's an ESPN problem.

Message 4 of 14 (814 Views)

While I think PQ has improved some it still fails misserably with a combination of motion and high detail.

I was watching a program last night that had heavy use of stage lighting.  I noticed image breakdown occuring as the lighting swept around.  

It really fell to complete **** (asterisks used for lack of a better word) when stobe lights were being used.  The PQ broke down to the point where there was total loss of detail. 

Message 5 of 14 (755 Views)
ACE - Expert

blujacket wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

beardrivescar wrote:

Chris

I had the grass swim effect on Dish also. I think it's an ESPN problem.

I don't see it on any ABC/ESPN channel as they are 720p, as noted above it sometimes occurs on 1080i Networks, especially NBC. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 6 of 14 (730 Views)

I'm almost positive I have the latest release, as you described.

I checked out the Dolphins-Cowboys preseason football game on NBC last Sunday and it was terrible. Every time they flashed the NBC graphic at the end of a play, I could clearly see pixels becoming incredibly "boxy" and then going to clear HD. This happened constantly throughout. This sort of thing is also very noticeable when ESPN brings its SportsCenter graphic.

It really looks like HD is togginling on and off any time there's a transition effect. Does this make sense?

Message 7 of 14 (645 Views)
ACE - Expert

beardrivescar wrote:

I'm almost positive I have the latest release, as you described.

I checked out the Dolphins-Cowboys preseason football game on NBC last Sunday and it was terrible. Every time they flashed the NBC graphic at the end of a play, I could clearly see pixels becoming incredibly "boxy" and then going to clear HD. This happened constantly throughout. This sort of thing is also very noticeable when ESPN brings its SportsCenter graphic.

It really looks like HD is togginling on and off any time there's a transition effect. Does this make sense?

You were watching the worst of the 1080i networks, NBC is the absolutely worst for HD PQ. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 8 of 14 (626 Views)

Do customers in general find this acceptable?

I used to live in Maryland where I had Comcast. I had my problems with that company, but I never, ever saw my HD quality come and go. Sometimes it looks like I'm watching TV underwater! I can't believe any professional organization with any kind of quality requirements could watch TV here for five minutes and consider it acceptable.

Message 9 of 14 (523 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

beardrivescar - I guess the majority of the paying customers find the overall mix of U-verse quality, channel selection, features and cost to be their best choice. That's the way it is for me. Certainly there is room for improvement in every category.

I agree that the PQ is variable, but cannot blame it on at&t. Seems to me like it varies based on the source & the quality can only be degraded. It cannot be improved. It can be averaged. But, it cannot be improved by at&t.

Oddly, I find some of the best pictures to be advertisements & hand held remote news. When I had FIOS i would often say WOW to the picture. But, in reality, It probably was not any different than Optimum.

If you want a more consistent picture, try component connection. I believe it "averages" better than HDMI.

I do not see how anyone can set-up the TV to cover all the cases. I remember one poster explaining about how he applied each TV picture setting category to specific content. That seems like a lot of work to me. I just want to watch. You might try applying different setups to see if you can get a consistent experience.

Message 10 of 14 (510 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

beardrivescar wrote:

Do customers in general find this acceptable?

I used to live in Maryland where I had Comcast. I had my problems with that company, but I never, ever saw my HD quality come and go. Sometimes it looks like I'm watching TV underwater! I can't believe any professional organization with any kind of quality requirements could watch TV here for five minutes and consider it acceptable.

You keep posting the same things over and over about your bad HD PQ, would think by now you'd have left for the aforementioned  great Comcrap HD PQ.

Could possibly say it's your TV if it's an older LCD, w/only 60 Hz, newer units w/120/240 Hz don't suffer as badly.

All that said, when it comes to motion blur, not every set of eyes and every brain is created equally and, as Katzmaier points out, "Some viewers can perceive motion blur in fast-moving objects on standard 60Hz [LCD] models (motion blur like this isn't an issue with plasma or other display types, whether 60Hz or otherwise, because they use different methods to create the illusion of motion)."

http://reviews.cnet.com/240hz-lcd-tvs-what-you-need-to-know Smiley Surprised

Chris

Message 11 of 14 (492 Views)

[ Edited ]

For what it's worth, my TV is 240 Hz. I guess the picture quality is something I'll have to live with but I have a severe case of buyer's remorse with regard to U-verse. I just cannot believe a company with a time-tested reputation like AT&T would put out a product this lacking in visual quality. I work for another well-renowned company in another industry and if we put out a product this poor, a lot of people would be losing their jobs. I just cannot wrap my head around AT&T's business practices here.

Message 12 of 14 (459 Views)
ACE - Expert

beardrivescar wrote:

For what it's worth, my TV is 240 Hz. I guess the picture quality is something I'll have to live with but I have a severe case of buyer's remorse with regard to U-verse. I just cannot believe a company with a time-tested reputation like AT&T would put out a product this lacking in visual quality. I work for another well-renowned company in another industry and if we put out a product this poor, a lot of people would be losing their jobs. I just cannot wrap my head around AT&T's business practices here.

Something else is wrong there then, as I've posted above I've had more than 5 great years on Uverse TV. 

Everyone is essentially getting the same signal nationwide, so I'd contact ATT Uverse Care here:
https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/2365485

Send them a private message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service problems. Response can take up to 2 business days.

This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done. I personally know as they've helped me on a DVR swap.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Message 13 of 14 (378 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Currently, I am seeing one amazing picture after another.
Message 14 of 14 (366 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.