U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 9, 2014
7:22:51 AM
View profile
Another surround sound (no sound) problem

I've already read through other posts, but I didn't see anything specific to my problem:

Just got Uverse installed a couple days ago (replaced Comcast)

Used to have this setup:

1) Comcast box -> HDMI -> Samsung TV

2) Comcast box -> optical -> Sony receiver

3) Result = Surround sound at receiver, and stereo at TV

Now have this setup:

1) Uverse -> HDMI -> Samsung TV

2) Uverse -> optical -> Sony receiver

3a) Result = when Uverse setup to send out Stereo, get stereo at receiver and TV

3b) Result = when Uverse setup to send out Surround, get no sound at receiver or TV

This setup allows me to watch TV in stereo without having to turn on the receiver, and used to allow me to watch TV in surround when the receiver was turned on.  Now, I get no sound at all when Uverse box is setup for surround.

Note: TV is also connected to receiver via optical, but doesn't seem to pass through surround, only Stereo (even though the TV manual says it will do that.)

Receiver has no HDMI cabability, it's pretty much the last of its generation prior to HDMI being included.

I have not contacted Uverse tech support yet, just trying to get an understanding of what's going on.

I do not have the receiver manual with me right now, so I can't reference it.  It does do Dolby and DTS and does work just fine with BlueRay and DVD, but I do not know if there are any version issues.

Any ideas?

I've already read through other posts, but I didn't see anything specific to my problem:

Just got Uverse installed a couple days ago (replaced Comcast)

Used to have this setup:

1) Comcast box -> HDMI -> Samsung TV

2) Comcast box -> optical -> Sony receiver

3) Result = Surround sound at receiver, and stereo at TV

Now have this setup:

1) Uverse -> HDMI -> Samsung TV

2) Uverse -> optical -> Sony receiver

3a) Result = when Uverse setup to send out Stereo, get stereo at receiver and TV

3b) Result = when Uverse setup to send out Surround, get no sound at receiver or TV

This setup allows me to watch TV in stereo without having to turn on the receiver, and used to allow me to watch TV in surround when the receiver was turned on.  Now, I get no sound at all when Uverse box is setup for surround.

Note: TV is also connected to receiver via optical, but doesn't seem to pass through surround, only Stereo (even though the TV manual says it will do that.)

Receiver has no HDMI cabability, it's pretty much the last of its generation prior to HDMI being included.

I have not contacted Uverse tech support yet, just trying to get an understanding of what's going on.

I do not have the receiver manual with me right now, so I can't reference it.  It does do Dolby and DTS and does work just fine with BlueRay and DVD, but I do not know if there are any version issues.

Any ideas?

Another surround sound (no sound) problem

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 8:01:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - It does sound like the Comcast box had a way to send either surround or stereo depending on what the target device supports. And, the U-verse box does not. Is it reasonable to expect the U-verse box be automatic as well? I think so. At least , be able to set the two outputs separately

Most TVs do not accept surround. Also, the optical fed from the TV the receiver probably sends surround only if it is Over The Air or maybe one of the HDMI inputs.

Sounds like the optical output on the U-verse box is not working. You tried different optical inputs on the receiver or verified one with the blueray?? Can you try a different STB and use an optical cable that works with the blueray??

I think you are currently stuck with manually resetting the sound when you switch. You could upgrade the TV, but it may be hard to find a TV that accepts surround because they do not specify it in the specs. I believe I had a Toshiba that did.
KSPilot - It does sound like the Comcast box had a way to send either surround or stereo depending on what the target device supports. And, the U-verse box does not. Is it reasonable to expect the U-verse box be automatic as well? I think so. At least , be able to set the two outputs separately

Most TVs do not accept surround. Also, the optical fed from the TV the receiver probably sends surround only if it is Over The Air or maybe one of the HDMI inputs.

Sounds like the optical output on the U-verse box is not working. You tried different optical inputs on the receiver or verified one with the blueray?? Can you try a different STB and use an optical cable that works with the blueray??

I think you are currently stuck with manually resetting the sound when you switch. You could upgrade the TV, but it may be hard to find a TV that accepts surround because they do not specify it in the specs. I believe I had a Toshiba that did.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Another surround sound (no sound) problem

2 of 30 (876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 8:22:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

The Uverse optical output does work - but only in stereo.

I can set the DVR/STB to Stereo and get an output through the HDMI to the TV and the optical to the receiver.

When I set the DVR/STB to Surround I get no sould through the HDMI to the TV and not sound through the optical to the receiver.

I will swap cables and inputs with my BlueRay player so I can test.

Is there some particular surround format that is being sent out from the DVR/STB?  Maybe my receiver doesn't handle it?  But I don't get any sound from the TV, either, when I set to Surround.

What I do know is the Comcast STB did work in surround with the existing cable and receiver input, and the Uverse DVR/STB does not.

All we did was swap connections from Comcast to Uverse on the back of each box.  I didn't make any different connections.

The Uverse optical output does work - but only in stereo.

I can set the DVR/STB to Stereo and get an output through the HDMI to the TV and the optical to the receiver.

When I set the DVR/STB to Surround I get no sould through the HDMI to the TV and not sound through the optical to the receiver.

I will swap cables and inputs with my BlueRay player so I can test.

Is there some particular surround format that is being sent out from the DVR/STB?  Maybe my receiver doesn't handle it?  But I don't get any sound from the TV, either, when I set to Surround.

What I do know is the Comcast STB did work in surround with the existing cable and receiver input, and the Uverse DVR/STB does not.

All we did was swap connections from Comcast to Uverse on the back of each box.  I didn't make any different connections.

3 of 30 (872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:16:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - The fact that the receiver worked in surround with Comcast does point to a failure in the STB. It would be good if you have another STB & you could swap to verify it is the STB. You already have enough ammo to call for a replacement. Did you hear or see an indication of surround via the receiver with Comcast or could it have been stereo?

I think the TV and the HDMI are unknown because I doubt your TV handles surround. I think it is more likely the Comcast fed the TV stereo. It would be good if you could get a known supporter of surround to test the HDMI.

What are the model numbers for the TV and receiver?
KSPilot - The fact that the receiver worked in surround with Comcast does point to a failure in the STB. It would be good if you have another STB & you could swap to verify it is the STB. You already have enough ammo to call for a replacement. Did you hear or see an indication of surround via the receiver with Comcast or could it have been stereo?

I think the TV and the HDMI are unknown because I doubt your TV handles surround. I think it is more likely the Comcast fed the TV stereo. It would be good if you could get a known supporter of surround to test the HDMI.

What are the model numbers for the TV and receiver?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 30 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:25:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have the wired STB/DVR connected to the TV and receiver.  I do have a wireless STB connected to another TV.  I guess I could use that to test - it shouldn't be too hard to move that one around.  But right now I just don't have the time to do much swapping - it may have to wait until the weekend.

The receiver does display the mode it is in when it gets sound "Stereo" or "5.1/DTS/whatever".  When it is in surround mode, it also lights up an LED to let you know.  That is the indicator that it is in surround, and that is what it did with the Comcast box.  When I switch to Surround at the STB/DVR, the display on the receiver goes blank - it acts like it isn't getting any signal ( or it may be getting a signal, but not know how to decode it ).

I'll have to look at the model numbers later tonight, I'm away from home right now.

I have seen other posts where people have lost sound when using HDMI in surround mode, but I because I only really want sound at the receiver (via optical) when in surround mode I really don't care all that much if the TV doesn't get any.

Thanks for the ideas - when my schedule settles down in the next couple days, I'll contact Uverse tech support and try to find out what's going on.  I do need to double-check on the TV and receiver specs, too.

I have the wired STB/DVR connected to the TV and receiver.  I do have a wireless STB connected to another TV.  I guess I could use that to test - it shouldn't be too hard to move that one around.  But right now I just don't have the time to do much swapping - it may have to wait until the weekend.

The receiver does display the mode it is in when it gets sound "Stereo" or "5.1/DTS/whatever".  When it is in surround mode, it also lights up an LED to let you know.  That is the indicator that it is in surround, and that is what it did with the Comcast box.  When I switch to Surround at the STB/DVR, the display on the receiver goes blank - it acts like it isn't getting any signal ( or it may be getting a signal, but not know how to decode it ).

I'll have to look at the model numbers later tonight, I'm away from home right now.

I have seen other posts where people have lost sound when using HDMI in surround mode, but I because I only really want sound at the receiver (via optical) when in surround mode I really don't care all that much if the TV doesn't get any.

Thanks for the ideas - when my schedule settles down in the next couple days, I'll contact Uverse tech support and try to find out what's going on.  I do need to double-check on the TV and receiver specs, too.

5 of 30 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:33:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - OK, I will wait til you have time to work on it. The only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the HDMI at the STB to see if it is stopping the HDMI. I just got another memory flash - I believe surround only works on HD channels above 1000 & of course, the channel must be providing surround.

There was a suggestion that U-verse provide a surround test channel. You might try one of the HD demo channels.
KSPilot - OK, I will wait til you have time to work on it. The only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the HDMI at the STB to see if it is stopping the HDMI. I just got another memory flash - I believe surround only works on HD channels above 1000 & of course, the channel must be providing surround.

There was a suggestion that U-verse provide a surround test channel. You might try one of the HD demo channels.

6 of 30 (848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 10:56:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

I am using the HD channels.  And I'm pretty sure the channels I was testing are surround, but that may be a bad assumption.  Even if the channels are not surround, I would still expect to get stereo or something out.

Maybe I'll set it up, then turn off the TV and unplug the HDMI cable and see if surround then comes out of the optical.  Right now, no sound comes from either when DVR/STB switched to surround.

I am using the HD channels.  And I'm pretty sure the channels I was testing are surround, but that may be a bad assumption.  Even if the channels are not surround, I would still expect to get stereo or something out.

Maybe I'll set it up, then turn off the TV and unplug the HDMI cable and see if surround then comes out of the optical.  Right now, no sound comes from either when DVR/STB switched to surround.

7 of 30 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 11:15:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

By the way:

Is there a particluar phone number that works better for a tech support call on an issue like this?

The first thing I did was the on-line chat.  I don't know who/where I was chatting, but I didn't get much beyond getting instructions on how to program the remote(???).

The online chat rep gave me a phone number, but it is different from the tech support number I saw on the att.com uverse website.

By the way:

Is there a particluar phone number that works better for a tech support call on an issue like this?

The first thing I did was the on-line chat.  I don't know who/where I was chatting, but I didn't get much beyond getting instructions on how to program the remote(???).

The online chat rep gave me a phone number, but it is different from the tech support number I saw on the att.com uverse website.

8 of 30 (839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 7:54:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

Here are the specs:

DVR/STB - VIP2250

TV - Samsung LNT4665F

Receiver - Sony STR-DE975

--

The TV manual shows an optical connection from the TV to a receiver, with this note:

5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH.

According to Samsung:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=460906&modelname=LN-...

"For many Samsung TVs, if you connect your TV to a video source (a Blu-ray player, DVD player, Game System, Set-top box, etc.) with HDMI, you must set the audio output of the external device to PCM audio output."

It's coming back to me now:

The Comcast box did allow me to configure the two outputs:  The HDMI to the TV was set to PCM, and the Optical out to my receiver was set to Surround.  That let me get sound at both places without having to switch.

So - I can see why the TV sound disappears when I switch the UVerse box to surround, my TV won't support it.  Now I need to figure out why the surround doesn't work at the receiver.

The receiver manual says it can decode "Dolby Digital, DTS, 6.1 Dolby Pro Logic"

The VIP2250 specs says the optical output should just connect right into the optical input of a home theater receiver.

--

So - I think I have an explanation of why the TV sound goes off when I switch the DVR/STB to surround, but not why I can't get anything out of the receiver.

Here are the specs:

DVR/STB - VIP2250

TV - Samsung LNT4665F

Receiver - Sony STR-DE975

--

The TV manual shows an optical connection from the TV to a receiver, with this note:

5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH.

According to Samsung:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=460906&modelname=LN-T4665F&modelcode=&session_id=SQQQ2PSFHDCQKcpbLVpLfJTT4xjtmp0kGQ5J1L2TVnG6t9pJyk0m!66031603!-1587263830!1389367312628&from_osc=&homeid=458

"For many Samsung TVs, if you connect your TV to a video source (a Blu-ray player, DVD player, Game System, Set-top box, etc.) with HDMI, you must set the audio output of the external device to PCM audio output."

It's coming back to me now:

The Comcast box did allow me to configure the two outputs:  The HDMI to the TV was set to PCM, and the Optical out to my receiver was set to Surround.  That let me get sound at both places without having to switch.

So - I can see why the TV sound disappears when I switch the UVerse box to surround, my TV won't support it.  Now I need to figure out why the surround doesn't work at the receiver.

The receiver manual says it can decode "Dolby Digital, DTS, 6.1 Dolby Pro Logic"

The VIP2250 specs says the optical output should just connect right into the optical input of a home theater receiver.

--

So - I think I have an explanation of why the TV sound goes off when I switch the DVR/STB to surround, but not why I can't get anything out of the receiver.

9 of 30 (805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:34:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - Your post reminded me of the way to get stereo to the TV & surround to the rcvr so that you do not have to keep changing the sound setting in the STB.

Many TVs have an audio/HDMI setting that may be under audio or setup. You can use the HDMI connection for video and the two connection red/white analog connection for audio. Find the option in the TV menu & change from auto or digital to analog.

I tried to look it up in your manual & it was taking too long to load. I loaded the quickstart & it seems to indicate the TV can take in surround -

TruSurround XT is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200703/20070303142713625/EN/5_sub.htm

I'll take a look at the rcvr manual.
KSPilot - Your post reminded me of the way to get stereo to the TV & surround to the rcvr so that you do not have to keep changing the sound setting in the STB.

Many TVs have an audio/HDMI setting that may be under audio or setup. You can use the HDMI connection for video and the two connection red/white analog connection for audio. Find the option in the TV menu & change from auto or digital to analog.

I tried to look it up in your manual & it was taking too long to load. I loaded the quickstart & it seems to indicate the TV can take in surround -

TruSurround XT is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200703/20070303142713625/EN/5_sub.htm

I'll take a look at the rcvr manual.

10 of 30 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:38:55 AM
(0)
Mentor
Note: I wish there was a way to edit posts.

--

If I can figure out why no surround is going to my receiver, and get that resolved. I will still be in the position of having to switch stereo/surround to get sound to the TV through the HDMI.

But, if I were to connect Audio L/R from the DVR to the TV, along with the HDMI, then maybe I could leave the DVR in surround mode, get stereo to the TV and get surround at the receiver.
Note: I wish there was a way to edit posts.

--

If I can figure out why no surround is going to my receiver, and get that resolved. I will still be in the position of having to switch stereo/surround to get sound to the TV through the HDMI.

But, if I were to connect Audio L/R from the DVR to the TV, along with the HDMI, then maybe I could leave the DVR in surround mode, get stereo to the TV and get surround at the receiver.

11 of 30 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 8:57:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - The edit is under post options - upper right. It is available for a day or so. The problem is The other reader may not go back to that post. They look for new info in a new post. Of course, it is good for correcting posts for new readers.

Is your post 11 a statement you now know or questioning my suggestion. Yes, that is what I am suggesting.

I do not see anything to suggest from the recvr manual except make sure you are in the most open auto mode to capture whatever the STB is sending. You are left with swapping components to find which is at fault.

I am more and more leaning towards the DVR not producing surround. I wonder how a tech would test it to verify it is working.
KSPilot - The edit is under post options - upper right. It is available for a day or so. The problem is The other reader may not go back to that post. They look for new info in a new post. Of course, it is good for correcting posts for new readers.

Is your post 11 a statement you now know or questioning my suggestion. Yes, that is what I am suggesting.

I do not see anything to suggest from the recvr manual except make sure you are in the most open auto mode to capture whatever the STB is sending. You are left with swapping components to find which is at fault.

I am more and more leaning towards the DVR not producing surround. I wonder how a tech would test it to verify it is working.

12 of 30 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:06:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

I was typing my post 11 while you were putting up post 12.  I didn't read it until just now.

Yes - your suggestion of a way to get stereo to the TV while the STB is in surround mode is the same as what I was thinking.

What I do know - the optical out on the STB does put out stereo (because that's what I get at my rcvr).  What I don't know - is the STB putting out surround at the optical out, or is my rcvr just not accepting it?

I do have a new Sony BlueRay player that works just fine (surround and everything) through an RCA-jack cable into the rcvr, so I konw the rcvr is decoding properly.  And I konw that the rcvr did decode what was coming out of the old Comcast box.

Oh, and thanks for the help!

I was typing my post 11 while you were putting up post 12.  I didn't read it until just now.

Yes - your suggestion of a way to get stereo to the TV while the STB is in surround mode is the same as what I was thinking.

What I do know - the optical out on the STB does put out stereo (because that's what I get at my rcvr).  What I don't know - is the STB putting out surround at the optical out, or is my rcvr just not accepting it?

I do have a new Sony BlueRay player that works just fine (surround and everything) through an RCA-jack cable into the rcvr, so I konw the rcvr is decoding properly.  And I konw that the rcvr did decode what was coming out of the old Comcast box.

Oh, and thanks for the help!

13 of 30 (794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 11:36:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

Solved, sort of.

But I don't know how.

I set the sound output to surround and of course got no sound on any HD (>1000) channel.  I then switched to an SD station and got stereo.  I switched back to HD and surround is active at the receiver.

Must have been some kind of initialization thing.  I've turned it all on/off several times and it all still works fine.

But, when surround is active at the receiver I get no sound at the TV.  When I switch to an SD station, I get stereo at both locations.

Next - I'll connect L/R sound cables from the box to the TV and see if I can get stereo to the TV full time.  Until then,  I have to manually switch surround/stereo at thge DVR setup unless I leave the receiver on full time.

Solved, sort of.

But I don't know how.

I set the sound output to surround and of course got no sound on any HD (>1000) channel.  I then switched to an SD station and got stereo.  I switched back to HD and surround is active at the receiver.

Must have been some kind of initialization thing.  I've turned it all on/off several times and it all still works fine.

But, when surround is active at the receiver I get no sound at the TV.  When I switch to an SD station, I get stereo at both locations.

Next - I'll connect L/R sound cables from the box to the TV and see if I can get stereo to the TV full time.  Until then,  I have to manually switch surround/stereo at thge DVR setup unless I leave the receiver on full time.

14 of 30 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 11:59:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - Using the L/R for stereo on the TV and surround on the receiver is a good technique. Possible roadblocks are -
Not all HDMI inputs may have this capability.
There may be a TV option that you need to set - HDMI sound - settings automatic, digital, analog.

Are you all set on remote function?
KSPilot - Using the L/R for stereo on the TV and surround on the receiver is a good technique. Possible roadblocks are -
Not all HDMI inputs may have this capability.
There may be a TV option that you need to set - HDMI sound - settings automatic, digital, analog.

Are you all set on remote function?

15 of 30 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 1:29:22 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by KSPilot on Jan 12, 2014 at 1:47:40 PM

I have DVR > HDMI > TV.

I will try DVR > HDMI + L/R > TV.

I think you are saying it might not be this simple, depending on the TV?

I have one HDMI input that has, what looks like, one audio L/R associated with it.  That HDMI input is the one with the DVR connected.  This port is the one the manual says must be used for a DVI>HDMI converted cable.  Since the DVI doesn't carry sound, the audio jacks are used.  I haven't seen anything in the setup or manual that says I need to change anything so I'm hoping the TV is smart enough to figure this out. 

I just finished programming the remote to control the TV, BluRay DVD, and the receiver.  I'm ready for college BB and the Super Bowl now.  But I still need to manually switch stereo/surround until I can pick up a set of audio cables this week (maybe tomorrow evening).

I have DVR > HDMI > TV.

I will try DVR > HDMI + L/R > TV.

I think you are saying it might not be this simple, depending on the TV?

I have one HDMI input that has, what looks like, one audio L/R associated with it.  That HDMI input is the one with the DVR connected.  This port is the one the manual says must be used for a DVI>HDMI converted cable.  Since the DVI doesn't carry sound, the audio jacks are used.  I haven't seen anything in the setup or manual that says I need to change anything so I'm hoping the TV is smart enough to figure this out. 

I just finished programming the remote to control the TV, BluRay DVD, and the receiver.  I'm ready for college BB and the Super Bowl now.  But I still need to manually switch stereo/surround until I can pick up a set of audio cables this week (maybe tomorrow evening).

[ Edited ]
16 of 30 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 2:14:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - Based on your posts you are right on. You recognize that only one HDMI input has this capability. You probably are correct that you do not have to change settings in the TV. If it does not work, post your TV model & I will see if I can find an option.

I like to point out possibilities so that people do not panic if something does not work at first - there is still another item to check. I was not thinking of unnecessarily causing concern up front.

Sounds like you have more than the STB as input. Do you use sometimes use TV sound and sometimes use receiver sound?

If always receiver, you can program the remote so that it always varies the receiver, including att mode when you watch U-verse & the DVD mode when you watch blue ray % the TV mode if you watch Over the Air.

If only sometimes then the remote needs to follow the mode button because you have a DVD player as possible input. So, you will have to change modes to vary either the TV or the receiver. If you hit volume while in the att mode it can decrease STB volume, but will max out at 25 , which would be where you want to keep it.

You can see if you can match the BD player output level with the STB (some setting below 25). If you can do this at a comfortable level, you may find you can stay in the att mode while using the "follow the mode method" . While watching U-verse the STB will vary for comfortable listening on either the TV or the receiver. While watching a blue ray you would have to change modes to TV or aux for sound control and DVD for blue ray control.

If you want more transparency across the various possibilities you will need a more full featured remote, such as a Logitech Harmony or this one - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR
KSPilot - Based on your posts you are right on. You recognize that only one HDMI input has this capability. You probably are correct that you do not have to change settings in the TV. If it does not work, post your TV model & I will see if I can find an option.

I like to point out possibilities so that people do not panic if something does not work at first - there is still another item to check. I was not thinking of unnecessarily causing concern up front.

Sounds like you have more than the STB as input. Do you use sometimes use TV sound and sometimes use receiver sound?

If always receiver, you can program the remote so that it always varies the receiver, including att mode when you watch U-verse & the DVD mode when you watch blue ray % the TV mode if you watch Over the Air.

If only sometimes then the remote needs to follow the mode button because you have a DVD player as possible input. So, you will have to change modes to vary either the TV or the receiver. If you hit volume while in the att mode it can decrease STB volume, but will max out at 25 , which would be where you want to keep it.

You can see if you can match the BD player output level with the STB (some setting below 25). If you can do this at a comfortable level, you may find you can stay in the att mode while using the "follow the mode method" . While watching U-verse the STB will vary for comfortable listening on either the TV or the receiver. While watching a blue ray you would have to change modes to TV or aux for sound control and DVD for blue ray control.

If you want more transparency across the various possibilities you will need a more full featured remote, such as a Logitech Harmony or this one - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR

17 of 30 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 3:00:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have:

DVR > HDMI #1> TV (no sound at TV with DVR in surround)

DVR > optical > receiver (finally get surround at receiver)

BD > HDMI #2> TV (stereo at TV)

BD > RCA digital > receiver (surround at receiver)

Chromecast > HDMI #3> TV (stereo at TV)

TV > optical > receiver (stereo at receiver)

My TV manual says it will pass 5.1through, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.  I just got the Chromecast as a present, haven't got any surround from it to the TV yet, so I can't tell if the TV will pass 5.1 through.

With the BD we use the receiver - that's the whole point of having the home theater sound setup.

Normal TV watching is TV sound.  But I sure would rather just turn on the receiver for surround without having to switch the DVR.

I have:

DVR > HDMI #1> TV (no sound at TV with DVR in surround)

DVR > optical > receiver (finally get surround at receiver)

BD > HDMI #2> TV (stereo at TV)

BD > RCA digital > receiver (surround at receiver)

Chromecast > HDMI #3> TV (stereo at TV)

TV > optical > receiver (stereo at receiver)

My TV manual says it will pass 5.1through, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.  I just got the Chromecast as a present, haven't got any surround from it to the TV yet, so I can't tell if the TV will pass 5.1 through.

With the BD we use the receiver - that's the whole point of having the home theater sound setup.

Normal TV watching is TV sound.  But I sure would rather just turn on the receiver for surround without having to switch the DVR.

18 of 30 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 4:16:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

No joy.

DVR > HDMI + L/R > TV does not give me sound when DVR set to surround mode. Apparently the TV can't convert surround to stereo so we get no sound at all.  The TV knows it's HDMI and seems to ignore the new L/R inputs.  Unplugging the HDMI cable causes the TV to ignore that port completely.  About the only thing left is to use component output from the DVR instead of the HDMI and I don't think I'm going to bother with that test.

The DVR has no way to send surround to the optical and stereo to the HDMI at the same time.

It was a good try.

So, to watch TV in surround I have to switch the DVR and use the receiver and if I want sound out of the TV I have to switch the DVR back to stereo.

I think I'll call ATT and see if there are any firmware updates that might help.  I can't be the only one.

No joy.

DVR > HDMI + L/R > TV does not give me sound when DVR set to surround mode. Apparently the TV can't convert surround to stereo so we get no sound at all.  The TV knows it's HDMI and seems to ignore the new L/R inputs.  Unplugging the HDMI cable causes the TV to ignore that port completely.  About the only thing left is to use component output from the DVR instead of the HDMI and I don't think I'm going to bother with that test.

The DVR has no way to send surround to the optical and stereo to the HDMI at the same time.

It was a good try.

So, to watch TV in surround I have to switch the DVR and use the receiver and if I want sound out of the TV I have to switch the DVR back to stereo.

I think I'll call ATT and see if there are any firmware updates that might help.  I can't be the only one.

19 of 30 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 4:20:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
@KSPilot - What is your TV model number? I will look up the manual.
@KSPilot - What is your TV model number? I will look up the manual.

20 of 30 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 4:26:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

See post #9.

DVR/STB - VIP2250

TV - Samsung LNT4665F

See post #9.

DVR/STB - VIP2250

TV - Samsung LNT4665F

21 of 30 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 5:37:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - I looked at the manual & did not see anything. A very slim possibility would be "more" under setup. But, if there was something there it should be explained in the manual.

It does appear that the TV automatically detects the difference between HDMI and DVI. It says to use an HDMI.DVI adapter. You could replicate that with two adapters, but, I think that would cut off the copy protection indicator & it would cut off the video from the STB.

Why are you not going to bother with component? The picture is just as good. If you do not have enough cables you only need to connect one of the video cable to get a picture ( I believe the Y). You probably need to provide a signal for the TV to see it.

To verify the red/white output on the STB has stereo when in surround mode, you can use a composite connection.
KSPilot - I looked at the manual & did not see anything. A very slim possibility would be "more" under setup. But, if there was something there it should be explained in the manual.

It does appear that the TV automatically detects the difference between HDMI and DVI. It says to use an HDMI.DVI adapter. You could replicate that with two adapters, but, I think that would cut off the copy protection indicator & it would cut off the video from the STB.

Why are you not going to bother with component? The picture is just as good. If you do not have enough cables you only need to connect one of the video cable to get a picture ( I believe the Y). You probably need to provide a signal for the TV to see it.

To verify the red/white output on the STB has stereo when in surround mode, you can use a composite connection.

22 of 30 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 7:15:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

I wasn't going to go component because I'm getting tired of messing with cables every evening.  I was also concerened the picture quality wouldn't be as good.  

I've done some looking around and now I'm not so worried about seeing a loss of picture quality.

I do have an extra component cable.  I might be able to get that installed in a couple days and report back.

I wasn't going to go component because I'm getting tired of messing with cables every evening.  I was also concerened the picture quality wouldn't be as good.  

I've done some looking around and now I'm not so worried about seeing a loss of picture quality.

I do have an extra component cable.  I might be able to get that installed in a couple days and report back.

23 of 30 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 5:53:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Finally.

I've had UVerse for a full week and finally have the ability to leave the DVR in surround full time.  I now can get surround to the home theater and steteo to the TV without having to do anything other than power up the receiver.

The trick is to know that the ATT DVR doesn't allow you to get different sound outputs from it.  It's all or nothing.  If you turn on the surround, you need to make sure your TV can convert it to stereo or you won't get sound.

If your TV can't handle the conversion, the way to get sterero out to the TV and surround to the receiver at the same time is with component out to the TV.

Now if I want sound from the TV, I just turn it on.  For surround I turn on the receiver and turn down the TV volume.  No more going through the DVR menu.

Finally.

I've had UVerse for a full week and finally have the ability to leave the DVR in surround full time.  I now can get surround to the home theater and steteo to the TV without having to do anything other than power up the receiver.

The trick is to know that the ATT DVR doesn't allow you to get different sound outputs from it.  It's all or nothing.  If you turn on the surround, you need to make sure your TV can convert it to stereo or you won't get sound.

If your TV can't handle the conversion, the way to get sterero out to the TV and surround to the receiver at the same time is with component out to the TV.

Now if I want sound from the TV, I just turn it on.  For surround I turn on the receiver and turn down the TV volume.  No more going through the DVR menu.

24 of 30 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 5:43:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - Thanks for letting us know you found the right combination.
KSPilot - Thanks for letting us know you found the right combination.

25 of 30 (544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 6:35:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the encouragement along the way.  I figured I'd keep a running commentary in case someone else had a similar problem.

This would have been a no-brainer if the ATT DVR had the ability to assign a different sound output to each of the ports on the back of the box (like my old Comcast box).

Now I'm off to start a new thread complaining about how the remote doesn't allow me to control the TV volume the way I want.

Thanks for the encouragement along the way.  I figured I'd keep a running commentary in case someone else had a similar problem.

This would have been a no-brainer if the ATT DVR had the ability to assign a different sound output to each of the ports on the back of the box (like my old Comcast box).

Now I'm off to start a new thread complaining about how the remote doesn't allow me to control the TV volume the way I want.

26 of 30 (541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 6:59:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - I suppose a new thread is appropriate. How about a sneak preview?
KSPilot - I suppose a new thread is appropriate. How about a sneak preview?

27 of 30 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 7:43:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ok.  A sneak preview:

I can program the remote so the volume buttons control each device independently, or so it controls one device.

1) If I program it for a single device (TV), I can push the ATT button and control channels, menus, guides, DVR functions, ..., and use the volume buttons to conrol the TV.

Advantage:  this is great for TV watching, which is what we do the majority of the time.

Disadvantage: when we watch anything in surround, I need the remote for that device (the receiver) to change the volume.

2) If I program the device to control the volume on the selected device then I can limit the number of remotes I have to keep nearby.

Advantage:  in this mode I can pretty much limit myself to the single remote.

Disadvantage:  I have to switch to TV to change volume, back to ATT to change channels, back to TV to adjust volume, back to ATT for menu, guides,..., back to TV, ...

--

Again, I go back to how my old Comcast equipment worked.  That remote had the ability to control TV volume when in Comcast STB mode and TV mode, then control volume on other devices when in those modes.

If the ATT remote had a third option - "Volume controls assigned to TV when in ATT or TV mode" - then I'd be have one less thing to grumble about.

Ok.  A sneak preview:

I can program the remote so the volume buttons control each device independently, or so it controls one device.

1) If I program it for a single device (TV), I can push the ATT button and control channels, menus, guides, DVR functions, ..., and use the volume buttons to conrol the TV.

Advantage:  this is great for TV watching, which is what we do the majority of the time.

Disadvantage: when we watch anything in surround, I need the remote for that device (the receiver) to change the volume.

2) If I program the device to control the volume on the selected device then I can limit the number of remotes I have to keep nearby.

Advantage:  in this mode I can pretty much limit myself to the single remote.

Disadvantage:  I have to switch to TV to change volume, back to ATT to change channels, back to TV to adjust volume, back to ATT for menu, guides,..., back to TV, ...

--

Again, I go back to how my old Comcast equipment worked.  That remote had the ability to control TV volume when in Comcast STB mode and TV mode, then control volume on other devices when in those modes.

If the ATT remote had a third option - "Volume controls assigned to TV when in ATT or TV mode" - then I'd be have one less thing to grumble about.

28 of 30 (530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 8:27:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
KSPilot - Yeah, the U-verse remote is inadequate in this area.

There is a way to have volume in the att mode, with TV and receiver, but it does not apply when you introduce another source ( i.e. Blue-ray).

To effectively do what you want to do you need a remote that supports activities. When a remote supports activities, you select the activity on power-up. The remote turns on the devices needed, sets correct inputs and maps buttons appropriately,

Two remotes that do this are Logitech Harmony and this one - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR

I do do not have personal experience with the RCA. I do have a Logitech Harmony 700. Here is a writeup that compares the U_verse remote with the LH model 300, which is not longer available. It is not for you anyway because it has only one activity. You need a more expensive model to have multiple activities.

I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2...

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Supports some functions not available on standard remote - e.g. direct change of TV input - Instead of menu-navigate-select, Have a single button for HDMI 1 & another for HDMI2 - change inputs with one button push.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. Devices can be sequenced but cannot introduce delay. sequence program - att/ok-977-mode buttons pressed in desired sequence- enter.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

KSPilot - Yeah, the U-verse remote is inadequate in this area.

There is a way to have volume in the att mode, with TV and receiver, but it does not apply when you introduce another source ( i.e. Blue-ray).

To effectively do what you want to do you need a remote that supports activities. When a remote supports activities, you select the activity on power-up. The remote turns on the devices needed, sets correct inputs and maps buttons appropriately,

Two remotes that do this are Logitech Harmony and this one - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR

I do do not have personal experience with the RCA. I do have a Logitech Harmony 700. Here is a writeup that compares the U_verse remote with the LH model 300, which is not longer available. It is not for you anyway because it has only one activity. You need a more expensive model to have multiple activities.

I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F).

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Supports some functions not available on standard remote - e.g. direct change of TV input - Instead of menu-navigate-select, Have a single button for HDMI 1 & another for HDMI2 - change inputs with one button push.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. Devices can be sequenced but cannot introduce delay. sequence program - att/ok-977-mode buttons pressed in desired sequence- enter.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

29 of 30 (524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 8:45:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by KSPilot on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:16:29 AM

Looks like the Harmony 700 is discontinued.  The 650 might be the closest match.

I can live with setting the UVerse remote to match the 80%+ viewing activities of ours, then fumbling around with a second remote for the rest.

A true "universal" remote would be great, and the Logitech remotes look like they are the real deal.

But if UVerse just had that one more volume mode...

Looks like the Harmony 700 is discontinued.  The 650 might be the closest match.

I can live with setting the UVerse remote to match the 80%+ viewing activities of ours, then fumbling around with a second remote for the rest.

A true "universal" remote would be great, and the Logitech remotes look like they are the real deal.

But if UVerse just had that one more volume mode...

[ Edited ]
30 of 30 (521 Views)