Another surround sound (no sound) problem

Mentor

Another surround sound (no sound) problem

I've already read through other posts, but I didn't see anything specific to my problem:

Just got Uverse installed a couple days ago (replaced Comcast)

Used to have this setup:

1) Comcast box -> HDMI -> Samsung TV

2) Comcast box -> optical -> Sony receiver

3) Result = Surround sound at receiver, and stereo at TV

Now have this setup:

1) Uverse -> HDMI -> Samsung TV

2) Uverse -> optical -> Sony receiver

3a) Result = when Uverse setup to send out Stereo, get stereo at receiver and TV

3b) Result = when Uverse setup to send out Surround, get no sound at receiver or TV

This setup allows me to watch TV in stereo without having to turn on the receiver, and used to allow me to watch TV in surround when the receiver was turned on.  Now, I get no sound at all when Uverse box is setup for surround.

Note: TV is also connected to receiver via optical, but doesn't seem to pass through surround, only Stereo (even though the TV manual says it will do that.)

Receiver has no HDMI cabability, it's pretty much the last of its generation prior to HDMI being included.

I have not contacted Uverse tech support yet, just trying to get an understanding of what's going on.

I do not have the receiver manual with me right now, so I can't reference it.  It does do Dolby and DTS and does work just fine with BlueRay and DVD, but I do not know if there are any version issues.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 30 (1,899 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Another surround sound (no sound) problem

KSPilot - It does sound like the Comcast box had a way to send either surround or stereo depending on what the target device supports. And, the U-verse box does not. Is it reasonable to expect the U-verse box be automatic as well? I think so. At least , be able to set the two outputs separately

Most TVs do not accept surround. Also, the optical fed from the TV the receiver probably sends surround only if it is Over The Air or maybe one of the HDMI inputs.

Sounds like the optical output on the U-verse box is not working. You tried different optical inputs on the receiver or verified one with the blueray?? Can you try a different STB and use an optical cable that works with the blueray??

I think you are currently stuck with manually resetting the sound when you switch. You could upgrade the TV, but it may be hard to find a TV that accepts surround because they do not specify it in the specs. I believe I had a Toshiba that did.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 30 (1,876 Views)
Mentor

The Uverse optical output does work - but only in stereo.

I can set the DVR/STB to Stereo and get an output through the HDMI to the TV and the optical to the receiver.

When I set the DVR/STB to Surround I get no sould through the HDMI to the TV and not sound through the optical to the receiver.

I will swap cables and inputs with my BlueRay player so I can test.

Is there some particular surround format that is being sent out from the DVR/STB?  Maybe my receiver doesn't handle it?  But I don't get any sound from the TV, either, when I set to Surround.

What I do know is the Comcast STB did work in surround with the existing cable and receiver input, and the Uverse DVR/STB does not.

All we did was swap connections from Comcast to Uverse on the back of each box.  I didn't make any different connections.

Message 3 of 30 (1,872 Views)
ACE - Expert

KSPilot - The fact that the receiver worked in surround with Comcast does point to a failure in the STB. It would be good if you have another STB & you could swap to verify it is the STB. You already have enough ammo to call for a replacement. Did you hear or see an indication of surround via the receiver with Comcast or could it have been stereo?

I think the TV and the HDMI are unknown because I doubt your TV handles surround. I think it is more likely the Comcast fed the TV stereo. It would be good if you could get a known supporter of surround to test the HDMI.

What are the model numbers for the TV and receiver?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 30 (1,857 Views)
Mentor

I have the wired STB/DVR connected to the TV and receiver.  I do have a wireless STB connected to another TV.  I guess I could use that to test - it shouldn't be too hard to move that one around.  But right now I just don't have the time to do much swapping - it may have to wait until the weekend.

The receiver does display the mode it is in when it gets sound "Stereo" or "5.1/DTS/whatever".  When it is in surround mode, it also lights up an LED to let you know.  That is the indicator that it is in surround, and that is what it did with the Comcast box.  When I switch to Surround at the STB/DVR, the display on the receiver goes blank - it acts like it isn't getting any signal ( or it may be getting a signal, but not know how to decode it ).

I'll have to look at the model numbers later tonight, I'm away from home right now.

I have seen other posts where people have lost sound when using HDMI in surround mode, but I because I only really want sound at the receiver (via optical) when in surround mode I really don't care all that much if the TV doesn't get any.

Thanks for the ideas - when my schedule settles down in the next couple days, I'll contact Uverse tech support and try to find out what's going on.  I do need to double-check on the TV and receiver specs, too.

Message 5 of 30 (1,855 Views)
ACE - Expert

KSPilot - OK, I will wait til you have time to work on it. The only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the HDMI at the STB to see if it is stopping the HDMI. I just got another memory flash - I believe surround only works on HD channels above 1000 & of course, the channel must be providing surround.

There was a suggestion that U-verse provide a surround test channel. You might try one of the HD demo channels.
Message 6 of 30 (1,848 Views)
Mentor

I am using the HD channels.  And I'm pretty sure the channels I was testing are surround, but that may be a bad assumption.  Even if the channels are not surround, I would still expect to get stereo or something out.

Maybe I'll set it up, then turn off the TV and unplug the HDMI cable and see if surround then comes out of the optical.  Right now, no sound comes from either when DVR/STB switched to surround.

Message 7 of 30 (1,842 Views)
Mentor

By the way:

Is there a particluar phone number that works better for a tech support call on an issue like this?

The first thing I did was the on-line chat.  I don't know who/where I was chatting, but I didn't get much beyond getting instructions on how to program the remote(???).

The online chat rep gave me a phone number, but it is different from the tech support number I saw on the att.com uverse website.

Message 8 of 30 (1,839 Views)
Mentor

Here are the specs:

DVR/STB - VIP2250

TV - Samsung LNT4665F

Receiver - Sony STR-DE975

--

The TV manual shows an optical connection from the TV to a receiver, with this note:

5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH.

According to Samsung:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=460906&modelname=LN-...

"For many Samsung TVs, if you connect your TV to a video source (a Blu-ray player, DVD player, Game System, Set-top box, etc.) with HDMI, you must set the audio output of the external device to PCM audio output."

It's coming back to me now:

The Comcast box did allow me to configure the two outputs:  The HDMI to the TV was set to PCM, and the Optical out to my receiver was set to Surround.  That let me get sound at both places without having to switch.

So - I can see why the TV sound disappears when I switch the UVerse box to surround, my TV won't support it.  Now I need to figure out why the surround doesn't work at the receiver.

The receiver manual says it can decode "Dolby Digital, DTS, 6.1 Dolby Pro Logic"

The VIP2250 specs says the optical output should just connect right into the optical input of a home theater receiver.

--

So - I think I have an explanation of why the TV sound goes off when I switch the DVR/STB to surround, but not why I can't get anything out of the receiver.

Message 9 of 30 (1,805 Views)
ACE - Expert

KSPilot - Your post reminded me of the way to get stereo to the TV & surround to the rcvr so that you do not have to keep changing the sound setting in the STB.

Many TVs have an audio/HDMI setting that may be under audio or setup. You can use the HDMI connection for video and the two connection red/white analog connection for audio. Find the option in the TV menu & change from auto or digital to analog.

I tried to look it up in your manual & it was taking too long to load. I loaded the quickstart & it seems to indicate the TV can take in surround -

TruSurround XT is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EM/200703/20070303142713625/EN/5_sub.htm

I'll take a look at the rcvr manual.
Message 10 of 30 (1,798 Views)
Mentor

Note: I wish there was a way to edit posts.

--

If I can figure out why no surround is going to my receiver, and get that resolved. I will still be in the position of having to switch stereo/surround to get sound to the TV through the HDMI.

But, if I were to connect Audio L/R from the DVR to the TV, along with the HDMI, then maybe I could leave the DVR in surround mode, get stereo to the TV and get surround at the receiver.
Message 11 of 30 (1,801 Views)
ACE - Expert

KSPilot - The edit is under post options - upper right. It is available for a day or so. The problem is The other reader may not go back to that post. They look for new info in a new post. Of course, it is good for correcting posts for new readers.

Is your post 11 a statement you now know or questioning my suggestion. Yes, that is what I am suggesting.

I do not see anything to suggest from the recvr manual except make sure you are in the most open auto mode to capture whatever the STB is sending. You are left with swapping components to find which is at fault.

I am more and more leaning towards the DVR not producing surround. I wonder how a tech would test it to verify it is working.
Message 12 of 30 (1,798 Views)
Mentor

I was typing my post 11 while you were putting up post 12.  I didn't read it until just now.

Yes - your suggestion of a way to get stereo to the TV while the STB is in surround mode is the same as what I was thinking.

What I do know - the optical out on the STB does put out stereo (because that's what I get at my rcvr).  What I don't know - is the STB putting out surround at the optical out, or is my rcvr just not accepting it?

I do have a new Sony BlueRay player that works just fine (surround and everything) through an RCA-jack cable into the rcvr, so I konw the rcvr is decoding properly.  And I konw that the rcvr did decode what was coming out of the old Comcast box.

Oh, and thanks for the help!

Message 13 of 30 (1,794 Views)
Mentor

Solved, sort of.

But I don't know how.

I set the sound output to surround and of course got no sound on any HD (>1000) channel.  I then switched to an SD station and got stereo.  I switched back to HD and surround is active at the receiver.

Must have been some kind of initialization thing.  I've turned it all on/off several times and it all still works fine.

But, when surround is active at the receiver I get no sound at the TV.  When I switch to an SD station, I get stereo at both locations.

Next - I'll connect L/R sound cables from the box to the TV and see if I can get stereo to the TV full time.  Until then,  I have to manually switch surround/stereo at thge DVR setup unless I leave the receiver on full time.

Message 14 of 30 (1,755 Views)
ACE - Expert

KSPilot - Using the L/R for stereo on the TV and surround on the receiver is a good technique. Possible roadblocks are -
Not all HDMI inputs may have this capability.
There may be a TV option that you need to set - HDMI sound - settings automatic, digital, analog.

Are you all set on remote function?
Message 15 of 30 (1,753 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.