Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Feb 17, 2014
5:32:27 PM
Another day, another round of new problems and excuses

Turned on computer this morning, get message no Internet connection. My install tech elected to cut corners and just gave me a USB WiFi dongle. Well it lasted for 2 weeks, now that seems to be malfunctioning. I poke around the forums and discover a STANDARD install if you purchase both U-verse TV and Internet SHOULD include the tech running an Ethernet connection to each. Mine didn't do that.

I call tech support. They confirm that's how it should be another tech coming tomorrow to correct. Now the fun begins. I explain and the person I'm talking to agrees this should be a FREE call since the original tech messed up. Lets be honest HE WAS JUST LAZY.

Person explains they can't do a "free" service call and that I will be billed for the service call. Told, don't worry, they will credit down the road. Translation: I'll have to argue and fight some more to get the charge taken off.

Since I'm without Internet, she suggests I run a Ethernet cable from my computer's Ethernet port to the AT&T gateway (like it should have been done, by the original tech). I do, while still on the phone. OK, get Internet back, but now lost my network connection to my NAS where I have over 1.6 TB worth of files.

Another issue, if I go to the page that controls your Gateway you are suppose to be able to change settings. All I wanted to do what disable the Gateway from broadcasting its presence to the outside world. Just a bit more security. I click on disable, it then asks for a password.

Password? Hmm... go to Gateway flip it over, it has two numbers:

A 10 digit wireless net key and another 10 digit access key. Of course entering either doesn't work, it want's a password. I try every password I use in association with AT&T, none are accepted. More frustration. Person on phone don't know why it doesn't work or what is the correct thing to enter. 

Oh well, thank person for at least sending a tech tomorrow.

Decide to see what happens if I move my NAS to where the gateway is and plug it in to one of its open Ethernet ports. Success, but this way the computer doesn't see it on my home network but my TV does.

Not really surprised this confuses the Gateway. I bring up the control pannel, it now shows where I had the NAS prior to the move, where it was when I plugged it into next to the Gateway in the other room. I disconnect it, but you guessed it, because it wants a password, nothing I can do to remove these now non existant "connections", in the Gateway's control panel. It now shows nine devices. Some on, some off. In reality I have my Eptical exercise machine, a cell phone, a tablet and one desktop computer and NAS. That's 5, not nine.

Another hour wasted. For fun I try the WiFi dongle again. Now it works again. Grrrr. OK, I change the Ethernet cable I ran from my computer directly to the Gateway AS INSTRUCTED by tech support and instead made a connection between the Gateway and the NAS. Oh... now I'm back in business at least till the tech comes tomorrow and runs a Ethernet line like they were suppose to in the beginning.

One question... Since I still have an open Ethernet port on the AT&T gateway if a 2nd Ethernet cable is run from it to the computer directly while keeping the Ethernet line now going to NAS will they allow me to get rid of the WiFi dingle on the desktop which never did work good? I'm thinking so, but after all I've been through mostly fixing my own problems, I'm wondering.   

Turned on computer this morning, get message no Internet connection. My install tech elected to cut corners and just gave me a USB WiFi dongle. Well it lasted for 2 weeks, now that seems to be malfunctioning. I poke around the forums and discover a STANDARD install if you purchase both U-verse TV and Internet SHOULD include the tech running an Ethernet connection to each. Mine didn't do that.

I call tech support. They confirm that's how it should be another tech coming tomorrow to correct. Now the fun begins. I explain and the person I'm talking to agrees this should be a FREE call since the original tech messed up. Lets be honest HE WAS JUST LAZY.

Person explains they can't do a "free" service call and that I will be billed for the service call. Told, don't worry, they will credit down the road. Translation: I'll have to argue and fight some more to get the charge taken off.

Since I'm without Internet, she suggests I run a Ethernet cable from my computer's Ethernet port to the AT&T gateway (like it should have been done, by the original tech). I do, while still on the phone. OK, get Internet back, but now lost my network connection to my NAS where I have over 1.6 TB worth of files.

Another issue, if I go to the page that controls your Gateway you are suppose to be able to change settings. All I wanted to do what disable the Gateway from broadcasting its presence to the outside world. Just a bit more security. I click on disable, it then asks for a password.

Password? Hmm... go to Gateway flip it over, it has two numbers:

A 10 digit wireless net key and another 10 digit access key. Of course entering either doesn't work, it want's a password. I try every password I use in association with AT&T, none are accepted. More frustration. Person on phone don't know why it doesn't work or what is the correct thing to enter. 

Oh well, thank person for at least sending a tech tomorrow.

Decide to see what happens if I move my NAS to where the gateway is and plug it in to one of its open Ethernet ports. Success, but this way the computer doesn't see it on my home network but my TV does.

Not really surprised this confuses the Gateway. I bring up the control pannel, it now shows where I had the NAS prior to the move, where it was when I plugged it into next to the Gateway in the other room. I disconnect it, but you guessed it, because it wants a password, nothing I can do to remove these now non existant "connections", in the Gateway's control panel. It now shows nine devices. Some on, some off. In reality I have my Eptical exercise machine, a cell phone, a tablet and one desktop computer and NAS. That's 5, not nine.

Another hour wasted. For fun I try the WiFi dongle again. Now it works again. Grrrr. OK, I change the Ethernet cable I ran from my computer directly to the Gateway AS INSTRUCTED by tech support and instead made a connection between the Gateway and the NAS. Oh... now I'm back in business at least till the tech comes tomorrow and runs a Ethernet line like they were suppose to in the beginning.

One question... Since I still have an open Ethernet port on the AT&T gateway if a 2nd Ethernet cable is run from it to the computer directly while keeping the Ethernet line now going to NAS will they allow me to get rid of the WiFi dingle on the desktop which never did work good? I'm thinking so, but after all I've been through mostly fixing my own problems, I'm wondering.   

Another day, another round of new problems and excuses

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 1:49:02 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi billy-xwow,

I greatly apologize for all the inconveniences with the issues you are having with your internet connection and for the late response. I am hoping the technician was able to get everything resolved. If you are still having problems, let me know, and I will be glad to help. As for the WiFi dongle, I do not see why you would need it after running a direct Ethernet connection, but it is definitely up to you on if you wish to continue using it.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi billy-xwow,

I greatly apologize for all the inconveniences with the issues you are having with your internet connection and for the late response. I am hoping the technician was able to get everything resolved. If you are still having problems, let me know, and I will be glad to help. As for the WiFi dongle, I do not see why you would need it after running a direct Ethernet connection, but it is definitely up to you on if you wish to continue using it.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Another day, another round of new problems and excuses

2 of 4 (246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 9:04:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

The tech that came out was exceptional and I prasied him in another thread.

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/An-exceptional-service-story/m-p/3899219#....

The reason for his visit was to replace the WiFi dongle that never worked that well and would repeatedly drop my connection to the Internet. With the direct Ethernet line Internet works fine now.

The open issue is why I'm being charged $75 for this "repair" when the person I talked to on the phone agreed it should be free. I understand the tech's position that he's suppose to charge based on his boss's instructions.

This seems to be another finger pointing contest with nobody making decisions and just passing the buck to another department. This was a supervisor I talked to. You would think a supervisor has the authority to wave service fees... but she passed the buck to the billing dept. whom I suppose I'll have multiple discussion with in the future.

The tech that came out was exceptional and I prasied him in another thread.

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-General-Care-and-Support/An-exceptional-service-story/m-p/3899219#.UwgruWePKuY

The reason for his visit was to replace the WiFi dongle that never worked that well and would repeatedly drop my connection to the Internet. With the direct Ethernet line Internet works fine now.

The open issue is why I'm being charged $75 for this "repair" when the person I talked to on the phone agreed it should be free. I understand the tech's position that he's suppose to charge based on his boss's instructions.

This seems to be another finger pointing contest with nobody making decisions and just passing the buck to another department. This was a supervisor I talked to. You would think a supervisor has the authority to wave service fees... but she passed the buck to the billing dept. whom I suppose I'll have multiple discussion with in the future.

3 of 4 (214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 3:23:21 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi bill-xwow,

I am glad the technician was able to take care of everything. If you have any issues with your bill, please send us a message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Hi bill-xwow,

I am glad the technician was able to take care of everything. If you have any issues with your bill, please send us a message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (147 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments