Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 15, 2014
8:16:45 AM
View profile
All episodes record when "first run" is chosen. How to stop?

I have two shows set to record "first run" episodes only.  However, every single episode that airs is being recorded.  How do I fix that?

I have two shows set to record "first run" episodes only.  However, every single episode that airs is being recorded.  How do I fix that?

All episodes record when "first run" is chosen. How to stop?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 8:31:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Lizilla - It is possible that the first run indication is not on the guide record. If that is the case, you would have to request that it be added. What is the show/channel & your zip code?
Lizilla - It is possible that the first run indication is not on the guide record. If that is the case, you would have to request that it be added. What is the show/channel & your zip code?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: All episodes record when "first run" is chosen. How to stop?

2 of 11 (1,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 9:02:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Ghost Hunters - Syfy HD channel 1151 (They have a marathon on today, I belive, and my DVR was set to reocord all the repeat shows.  I cancelled them and left the only "new" episode on 1/22 to record.)

Bad Ink - A&E HD channel 1132 (Their season premier is 1/20 but I've been recording all episodes prior to this which includes some on 1/18).

If that's the problem, I'd apprecite it if the guide can be changed. 

How would I go about requesting this in the future if this problem arises again?

Thanks!

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Ghost Hunters - Syfy HD channel 1151 (They have a marathon on today, I belive, and my DVR was set to reocord all the repeat shows.  I cancelled them and left the only "new" episode on 1/22 to record.)

Bad Ink - A&E HD channel 1132 (Their season premier is 1/20 but I've been recording all episodes prior to this which includes some on 1/18).

How would I go about requesting this in the future if this problem arises again?

Thanks!

3 of 11 (1,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 9:43:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Lizilla wrote:

As a simple test, re-boot the DVR and see if the behavior changes.  That recording setting could have gotten corrupted.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Lizilla wrote:

As a simple test, re-boot the DVR and see if the behavior changes.  That recording setting could have gotten corrupted.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (992 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:05:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:06:21 AM

Lizilla wrote:

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Thanks!

Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.  There is some good info, to be found on here!

Ah, you could have been hit by our very poor Guide Provider.  I have seen this on quite a few shows, where an old episode is recorded, even when you have the series set to record only new episodes.

What happens is that the DVR uses the Original Air Date (OAD) to determine if a show is new or not.  If the OAD is missing, the DVR will record the episode.  We used to record "Dual Survival>'  I noticed that one recorded the other day at an odd time.  When I looked at the info, it did not have an OAD. 

In your case, I am away from my system and the online program Guide has the OAD for the shows that you are asking about.  If it's not showing on the Guide that feeds the DVR, that will be the culprit.

Lizilla wrote:

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Thanks!

Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.  There is some good info, to be found on here!

Ah, you could have been hit by our very poor Guide Provider.  I have seen this on quite a few shows, where an old episode is recorded, even when you have the series set to record only new episodes.

What happens is that the DVR uses the Original Air Date (OAD) to determine if a show is new or not.  If the OAD is missing, the DVR will record the episode.  We used to record "Dual Survival>'  I noticed that one recorded the other day at an odd time.  When I looked at the info, it did not have an OAD. 

In your case, I am away from my system and the online program Guide has the OAD for the shows that you are asking about.  If it's not showing on the Guide that feeds the DVR, that will be the culprit.

[ Edited ]
5 of 11 (984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:17:39 AM
(0)
Employee

Lizilla wrote:

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Thanks!

Lizilla,

for Bad Ink,  You must have it set for "First run & rerun" Please change the setting to "First Run Only" and you'll only get 4 scheduled, Mon 1-20 at 8:00 and 8:30PM and on 1-27-14 same time. The Guide is set up correctly regarding this series.

Ghost Hunters first new episode is on 1-22-14 at 8:00 with an encore at 10:00.

If you keep your setting for "First Run Only" you will not get all the reruns. The Guide is set up correctly regarding this series. 

Hope this helps!!

Lizilla wrote:

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Thanks!

Lizilla,

for Bad Ink,  You must have it set for "First run & rerun" Please change the setting to "First Run Only" and you'll only get 4 scheduled, Mon 1-20 at 8:00 and 8:30PM and on 1-27-14 same time. The Guide is set up correctly regarding this series.

If you keep your setting for "First Run Only" you will not get all the reruns. The Guide is set up correctly regarding this series. 

Hope this helps!!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 11 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 10:26:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Fox Mulder wrote:

Lizilla wrote:

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Thanks!

Lizilla,

Hope this helps!!

That's not always correct.  If the OAD info is missing on the system guide, the DVR will record it.  As I just stated, our DVR recorded a rerun of Dual Survival (Discover).  The series is set as First Run only.  MTV shows such as Catfish often do not have the OAD info and we get several repeats recorded when we have it set to First run only.

Fox Mulder wrote:

Lizilla wrote:

My zip code is 53221.

The shows are:

Thanks!

Lizilla,

Hope this helps!!

That's not always correct.  If the OAD info is missing on the system guide, the DVR will record it.  As I just stated, our DVR recorded a rerun of Dual Survival (Discover).  The series is set as First Run only.  MTV shows such as Catfish often do not have the OAD info and we get several repeats recorded when we have it set to First run only.

7 of 11 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 11:14:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

I DO have both of these series (and all others we have recording like Mythbusters) set for "first run only."  All other are fine but not these two.  I will check the guide tonight when I get home but my app does NOT show any sort of "new" or "rerun" information for the DVR to read.

I DO have both of these series (and all others we have recording like Mythbusters) set for "first run only."  All other are fine but not these two.  I will check the guide tonight when I get home but my app does NOT show any sort of "new" or "rerun" information for the DVR to read.

8 of 11 (966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 11:25:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Lizilla wrote:

Let us know what you find on your DVR.  Thanks.  Often the app or Online webremote will have different or more info than the DVR.  The DVR uses the info on your system's guide to determine if it's new or not.  If there is no OAD, usually it treats it as a first run.

Lizilla wrote:

Let us know what you find on your DVR.  Thanks.  Often the app or Online webremote will have different or more info than the DVR.  The DVR uses the info on your system's guide to determine if it's new or not.  If there is no OAD, usually it treats it as a first run.

9 of 11 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 12:44:21 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by PotatoeGuru on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:48:21 PM

I just checked my online listings (which is populated by the same data and source as the DVR) and none of the episodes are listed as NEW on SYFY today and the only Bad Ink episodes that are showing NEW are on 01/20. I think there may be something wrong with the box.

p.s. You may also want to check the last time your DVRs listings were updated. I cannot remember exactly the steps to get to it, but the data should be nestled somewhere within the Settings area (on the far side of the menu) in a submenu.

I just checked my online listings (which is populated by the same data and source as the DVR) and none of the episodes are listed as NEW on SYFY today and the only Bad Ink episodes that are showing NEW are on 01/20. I think there may be something wrong with the box.

p.s. You may also want to check the last time your DVRs listings were updated. I cannot remember exactly the steps to get to it, but the data should be nestled somewhere within the Settings area (on the far side of the menu) in a submenu.

[ Edited ]
10 of 11 (957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 1:04:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

PotatoeGuru wrote:

Not 100% sure of that.  Often the online info will be correct but the TV / Guide listing will be wrong / have missing OAD data.  Unfortunately the DVR records from the TV/Guide info and not the online guide.

I'll check my DVR TV/Guide info tonight.  I have verified that the online Guide looks good, showing OAD and New markers.

PotatoeGuru wrote:

Not 100% sure of that.  Often the online info will be correct but the TV / Guide listing will be wrong / have missing OAD data.  Unfortunately the DVR records from the TV/Guide info and not the online guide.

I'll check my DVR TV/Guide info tonight.  I have verified that the online Guide looks good, showing OAD and New markers.

11 of 11 (949 Views)