Ask a question

Posted Oct 22, 2012
6:11:48 PM
View profile
All Previous REcordings Lost

Two nights ago I was at my computer when I noticed a small blip in my internet service. It was similiar to a brief power outage but nothing was affected, other than my internet service and my DVR service. I rebooted the DVR and when the process was through all of my recordings were gone and the DVR screen showed that I had 28% space remaining, even though there were no videos showing on the screen.

Support is sending me a new DVR but that really isn't the problem. The problem is: (1) there is no way to back-up your recordings on the DVR and (2) without knowing what happened to the original DVR how do I know this one won't erase itself?

If there is anyone here who has had this problem, or there is a tech who can type in English, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Tom

All Previous REcordings Lost

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 6:18:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Do this, unplug the ac cable from your DVR for 30 seconds and then reconnect it.  After it reboots check to see if your recordings show up.  I had the losing recordings issue a while back, and it was because my DVR was failing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: All Previous REcordings Lost

2 of 9 (3,281 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 6:34:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, I see that others have the same problem, and I appear to be up the creek wothout a paddle. Does AT&T think this is a serious enough problem to work a back-up fix? I now have zero faith in the DVR and there are programs I would like to keep for awhile.

3 of 9 (3,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 6:46:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sometimes that procedure will enable you to see your recorded programs.  AT&T is aware of it and are rolling out newer DVRs.  As far as this particular issue, I got a new 2250 DVR that has performed flawlessly, through power outtages, and storms.  AT&T doesn't make announcements about fixes they are working on.  Ususally something will just show up and we find out about it as people post about it on the forum.  Then AT&T makes an official announcement about 2 or 3 weeks after it begins rolling out regionally.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (3,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2012 5:17:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

Typical AT&T response. The agent on the phone said that I would receive my new DVR on Monday or Tuesday. Unless UPS can get here in the next 3.5 hours it won't make it by Tuesday. Meanwhile, I have a DVR that is showing I have 73% capacity and 28 hours left to record. I can see that the foreigner with whom I spoke has a different idea of what he said.

This system is so screwed up I don't think that the left hand knoweth what the right is doing. Is there a way for me to determine if: (1) a DVR order was placed for me and (2) if so, when can I expect delivery?

Tom

5 of 9 (3,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2012 6:08:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Suspicions confirmed! No order on file for my DVR. This is the first real problem I have had with U-verse and while I am grateful for the good years, I dread having anymore problems. AT&T is rather 'disjointed' in providing top notch service. At this point I would take middling service over no service!

6 of 9 (3,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2012 4:16:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Received my new DVR from UPS a few hours ago. Unfortunately it wouldn't boot. Tech is supposedly on the way in the morning. I couldn't even watch TV with the new set-up so until the tech could get here I used the old DVR as we could watch TV. The old one wouldn't boot and I have a sneaking suspicion that the serial number on my old unit was deactivated as soon as AT&T assumed I had the new one. Is this possible???

7 of 9 (3,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 6:27:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why is that when searching for a topic, the topic you search for has comments that stop in 2012, like this one that I am replying to.

It is repeatedly happening that my uverse dvr looses previous recordings and it is only 15% or less full?

Why don't you people provide solutions or statements....................@#$@!# $ that support the problem.

8 of 9 (2,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 6:39:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
glansber - Sounds like you need a new DVR. Just call in & say what is happening and ask for a new DVR. You could try a pull the plug reboot first. That solves a lot of problems. Then you could try a disaster recovery that reloads software & erases any recordings.

Holding the down arrow, the OK button and the power button at the same time, will create what is called a disaster recovery (DR). You need to hold all those buttons at once till you see the 3 lights on the front of the DVR/STB flash. After that, you should get a gear and in about 20 minutes or so, everything should come back after that.

Unfortunately, doing the above will most likely result in you losing any recorded items you might have.

9 of 9 (2,106 Views)